Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Got PR today - where to flagpole from vancouver???

Got PR today - where to flagpole from vancouver???

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:54 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold
Default Got PR today - where to flagpole from vancouver???

Hi all

First of all we received our passports back today with our lovely shiney new Visa's in it

So now we need to flagpole - I have heard many people say you cant do this but i phoned CIC today and border services and they said yes i can...infact they said i should do this as the easiest route.

So im on Vancouver island - and have worked out that the cheapest / easiest way maybe to go to vancouver and drive to the boarder with seattle - I was told here to talk to the border guard and tell them what i am doing and they will do it there without me having to leave or enter the states... only problem is i dont know the closest border to Vancouver ferry terminal Tassawasen - can anyone help??

Tanah x
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:34 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got PR today - where to flagpole from vancouver???

Just to say congratulations.
Friends of mine flagpoled at White Rock don't know whether thats your nearest ( they live in Langley)
Good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:38 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Tanah
Hi all

First of all we received our passports back today with our lovely shiney new Visa's in it

So now we need to flagpole - I have heard many people say you cant do this but i phoned CIC today and border services and they said yes i can...infact they said i should do this as the easiest route.

So im on Vancouver island - and have worked out that the cheapest / easiest way maybe to go to vancouver and drive to the boarder with seattle - I was told here to talk to the border guard and tell them what i am doing and they will do it there without me having to leave or enter the states... only problem is i dont know the closest border to Vancouver ferry terminal Tassawasen - can anyone help??

1. The closest one is the Peach Arch/Blaine you follow the signs from the ferry going south on 99
2. The cheaper way would be to phone the call centre, 1 888 242‑2100 and you can make an appointment to "land" at either Victoria CIC or Nanaimo CIC.

Tanah x
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

hi Tanah
Congrats on your PR,
i flagpoled at peace arch dougals, a few weeks ago to renew my work permit. the USA people were so freindly and they even said 'oh..you want to flag pole' after I had said that I needed to renew my canadian work permit. I think peace arch is pretty close to the ferry.
Good luck!
dont forget about us here...
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the Peach Arch near White Rock

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509884
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:49 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
HI PMM

I did that as you suggested on an earlier post i made when iw as thinking of using the ferry to seattle - I rang and they said it takes much longer that way and it quicker and easier to flagpole - everytime I tried to suggest the appointment, he put me off again
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:42 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Tanah
HI PMM

I did that as you suggested on an earlier post i made when iw as thinking of using the ferry to seattle - I rang and they said it takes much longer that way and it quicker and easier to flagpole - everytime I tried to suggest the appointment, he put me off again
You have to be insistent, don't allow the operator to "blow" you off. You probably would have been seen in Nanaimo in less than a week, not the busiest office in the world.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said on another thread.....I went along 'on spec' with my brother to Nanaimo and he was a proud PR within the hour, no appointment, just turned up at about 9am and by lunchtime we were in the dockside pub having done his SIN card app. and his GTF...with border services, all in the same building.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Hi Tanah!

Congratulations on your PR visas!! Further good news is that you don't need to leave the country to "land" as PRs ... you can do it at the CIC offices in Victoria. Kiton6 very kindly told me about this in another thread as follows:

"just in case you don't know - that you can land at CIC in Victoria, it's on Government and they do that on Tuesdays - it's apparently the only CIC in which you don't have to make an appointment to land (we did that in early Nov. 2008 - took our meds in August 2008). It saves the hassle of having to go over to Washington state, unless of course you want to. If you do decided to go to CIC in victoria, go early, so you are not waiting a long time.

(We are still awaiting PPR but glad we don't need to go to the US when we do land.)

Here is a link to the CIC's webpage which outlines this option. I know other people were put off by long wait times for an appointment at their local office. Perhaps you could call up to confirm the day/time you can turn up to Victoria without an appointment, just to be sure you don't have a wasted trip.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2008/ob076.asp

Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Woo hoo ..we got PPR emailed to us today.

What a feeling!! How nice for a Friday ... I was standing on the end of Sidney pier with my dog, in brilliant sunshine, enjoying the view of the islands ...and OH called to tell me about the email. What a moment. (I got some funny looks when I cried proper big fat tears of pure joy and relief. )

Timeline below if it helps anyone. 9 months to the day from posting the application to PPR.

Looking forward to landing as PRs at the Victoria office before too much longer now.

Friday night =
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Woo hoo ..we got PPR emailed to us today.

What a feeling!! How nice for a Friday ... I was standing on the end of Sidney pier with my dog, in brilliant sunshine, enjoying the view of the islands ...and OH called to tell me about the email. What a moment. (I got some funny looks when I cried proper big fat tears of pure joy and relief. )

Timeline below if it helps anyone. 9 months to the day from posting the application to PPR.

Looking forward to landing as PRs at the Victoria office before too much longer now.

Friday night =
Excellent news - big congrats to you.

Nothing wrong with crying in public, especially for good news.

Nice to also see another BUNACer make the transition!!

L2S + a very kciky Baby L2S
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

krasy is an unknown quantity at this point

[hi new to the forum can you tell me what it means by flagpole??

]Hi all

Tanah x[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

To go from Canada to the US very, very briefly and then come back again. It's done in order to visit the Port of Entry to change status. i.e. work permits, visitor permits and permanent residence.

It's called flagpolling because it's a trip around the flagpole that (theoretically) marks the border.