Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Got medical request today and have extra questions

Got medical request today and have extra questions

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough
Default Got medical request today and have extra questions

Hi there!

Just to let everyone know that I have now received my medical request today. To say I was a little shocked was an understatement. No interview required either!

I'd just offered my support to other members on being patient and not trying to charge at the postman on a daily basis and low and behold...

Anyway, I have a couple of additional questions: -

1 - I need to get new police certificates, which includes the RCMP (I lived in Canada for a year). Anyone have the latest address to hand (or web link)? I'm also assuming I still need to include finger prints with my request? Booked in with the Uk police on Monday 15th August.

2 - I will be landing and returning next summer, all being well and need to know how many days I need to be in the country to qualify for citizenship and how many days my permanent visa is valid for.

The reason for asking is that I'm finishing off paying for my student loan before I go and I'm also changing job with my current employer.

IT people will know that 12 - 18 months experience as a UNIX System Administrator will increase my employment opportunities in Canada. I already have 6 years experience as a Senior Computer AS400 Operator, but the new skill set will only work in my favour. My employer also has Canadian offices and I'm hoping my new skills will allow me to apply for internal positions as I can in the UK or Europe.

I start my new role in September, ideally want 18 months experience (12 will do) and still become a Canadian Citizen before my permanent visa expires (assuming it does). Again a web link will be most welcome.

Any information will be well received.

AOR received Feb 28th 2004.
Medical requests dated Aug 8th 2005.
Skilled worker with 67 points.

Cheers Guys!

Wayne
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got medical request today and have extra questions

Hi

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
Hi there!

Just to let everyone know that I have now received my medical request today. To say I was a little shocked was an understatement. No interview required either!

I'd just offered my support to other members on being patient and not trying to charge at the postman on a daily basis and low and behold...

1 - I need to get new police certificates, which includes the RCMP (I lived in Canada for a year). Anyone have the latest address to hand (or web link)? I'm also assuming I still need to include finger prints with my request? Booked in with the Uk police on Monday 15th August.

HOW TO OBTAIN A POLICE CERTIFICATE FROM CANADIAN AUTHORITIES

Applicants requiring Police Certificates who are currently present in Canada or who have resided in Canada for any period of time, MUST obtain a police clearance from the ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE (RCMP). Please note that Canadian Visa Offices will NOT accept Police Certificates from Canada where a name check has been conducted. The RCMP record check that is required must be based on a FINGERPRINT CHECK.

STEP ONE - HAVE FINGERPRINTS TAKEN BY A RECOGNIZED AGENCY:

Recognized agencies include a LOCAL RCMP DETACHMENT or a LOCAL POLICESERVICE.

A fee will usually be charged for fingerprinting. Fees vary according to the locationwhere the applicant is fingerprinted.

Applicants appearing for fingerprinting will need to bring PHOTO IDENTIFICATION,such as a passport, and a LETTER FROM THE CANADIAN VISA OFFICE whichrequests an RCMP fingerprint-based criminal record check. Applicants may also wish tocontact the RCMP for any additional instructions.
**IMPORTANT: The applicant's IMMIGRATION FILE NUMBER from the Canadian VisaOffice that is processing his/her application MUST appear on the applicant's fingerprint form. This will ensure that the results of the applicant's fingerprint check are matched to his/herCanadian immigration file.

STEP TWO - FORWARD FINGERPRINTS TO THE RCMP FOR ASSESSMENT:

Royal Canadian Mounted Police,
NCO IC Civil Section,
Identification Services,
1200 Vanier Parkway,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0R2.

2 - I will be landing and returning next summer, all being well and need to know how many days I need to be in the country to qualify for citizenship and how many days my permanent visa is valid for.

3 years in the 4 years preceeding your application.

The reason for asking is that I'm finishing off paying for my student loan before I go and I'm also changing job with my current employer.

IT people will know that 12 - 18 months experience as a UNIX System Administrator will increase my employment opportunities in Canada. I already have 6 years experience as a Senior Computer AS400 Operator, but the new skill set will only work in my favour. My employer also has Canadian offices and I'm hoping my new skills will allow me to apply for internal positions as I can in the UK or Europe.

I start my new role in September, ideally want 18 months experience (12 will do) and still become a Canadian Citizen before my permanent visa expires (assuming it does). Again a web link will be most welcome.

To maintain your PR status you must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.

Cheers Guys!

Wayne
PMM
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:09 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

sorry can't answer any of your questions but Congratulations!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Re: Got medical request today and have extra questions

Hi there!

Cheers Guys!

Wayne
Hello

Congratulations on receiving your medical requests, just to put you in the picture it took us 4 months to receive our RCMP Certificate back from Ottawa.
You should have done this at the beginning of the application.

Good Luck

Ann
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Got medical request today and have extra questions

Hi there!

Congratulations!

<snip>

Your visa will expire one year from the date of your medical, so you need to land before it does! :scared:

To keep your PR status you need to be present in Canada for two years out of every five. I'm doing a similar thing to you in that I am landing shortly but I'm only staying in Canada for a week and will then settle there a couple of years afterwards probably. Then I will stay permanently.

To apply for citizenship you need to have been living there for three years out of the four preceding the application.

So it looks like you'll have to land, go and live in Canada no later than three years from the landing date, stay there for three years and then apply for citizenship.

HTH

Suze
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by charlie1
Hello

Congratulations on receiving your medical requests, just to put you in the picture it took us 4 months to receive our RCMP Certificate back from Ottawa.
You should have done this at the beginning of the application.

Good Luck

Ann
Ann

I did, therefore as they asked for updated police certificates, I'm assuming they also want my RCMP certificate re-done as well.

CHC just ticked a check box and requested updated police certificates. Nothing more specific than that.

I will send in my UK police certificate, explain that my RCMP certificate has been requested and will be sent it in at a later date.

Not much else I can do, eh?

Wayne
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Suzey
Congratulations!

<snip>

Your visa will expire one year from the date of your medical, so you need to land before it does! :scared:

To keep your PR status you need to be present in Canada for two years out of every five. I'm doing a similar thing to you in that I am landing shortly but I'm only staying in Canada for a week and will then settle there a couple of years afterwards probably. Then I will stay permanently.

To apply for citizenship you need to have been living there for three years out of the four preceding the application.

So it looks like you'll have to land, go and live in Canada no later than three years from the landing date, stay there for three years and then apply for citizenship.

HTH

Suze
Suze

From your reply does that mean you will not be going for citizenship?

Am I right to assume the following: -

- The only way to become a citizen (excluding marriage) is to live in Canada 3 out of 4 years after your visa was issued?

- If you live in Canada 2 out of every 5 years you can remain in the country? (does that mean the visa is renewable?) But you can't become a citizen? (assuming I didn't stay 3 out of the first 4 years?)

I've not considered the citizenship issue before, only getting there in the first place!

Thank you

Wayne
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mans
sorry can't answer any of your questions but Congratulations!
Thank you, just waiting for the rug to be pulled from under my feet!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Suze

From your reply does that mean you will not be going for citizenship?
I will be going for citizenship when I become eligible to apply as I intend to live there permanently and believe that citizenship is important.

Am I right to assume the following: -

- The only way to become a citizen (excluding marriage) is to live in Canada 3 out of 4 years after your visa was issued?
Yes and no. People married to Canadian citizens have to fulfil the three out of four years residency requirement in order to become a citizen as well (unless they're out of the country accompanying their spouse on business etc etc).

To apply to become a citizen (whether spouse or not) you need to live in Canada for three out of the four years preceding your citizenship application. Nothing to do with date of PR visa issue.

- If you live in Canada 2 out of every 5 years you can remain in the country?
Generally, yes. If you murder someone or something like that they can obviously revoke your status!

(does that mean the visa is renewable?)
The visa is only good for one use. You are not a PR until you use it to enter Canada and "land". When that happens the visa is cancelled and you are issued with a permanent resident card which is what you use to re-enter Canada if you leave after that.

But you can't become a citizen? (assuming I didn't stay 3 out of the first 4 years?)
You can apply for citizenship as soon as you have racked up three years out of four. This could be after your first three years as a PR or after 50 years, it's up to you. Some people never apply for citizenship and just remain PRs.

I've not considered the citizenship issue before, only getting there in the first place!
I wouldn't worry about it just now - if you're planning to live in Canada permanently at some point then firstly make sure you fulfil the requirements for keeping your PR status and then think about applying for citizenship.

Good luck with the medical.

Suze
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:49 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Ann

I did, therefore as they asked for updated police certificates, I'm assuming they also want my RCMP certificate re-done as well.

CHC just ticked a check box and requested updated police certificates. Nothing more specific than that.

I will send in my UK police certificate, explain that my RCMP certificate has been requested and will be sent it in at a later date.

Not much else I can do, eh?

Wayne
Yes, better not to risk your application being turned down by a silly mistake at this stage.

I can say what I was told for my application to London CHC:

I was advised by a CHC (London) representative (3 months ago) that should new police certificates be required, they were only needed for countries I had lived in since the original police certificates and application were sent in (this was assuming that necessary certificates for ALL countries had been supplied with the original application).

I am NOT an expert and so cannot vouch for the current validity of this advice. This is one of those things that you would be wise to check for yourself with an official source.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Suzey
I will be going for citizenship when I become eligible to apply as I intend to live there permanently and believe that citizenship is important.

Yes and no. People married to Canadian citizens have to fulfil the three out of four years residency requirement in order to become a citizen as well (unless they're out of the country accompanying their spouse on business etc etc).

To apply to become a citizen (whether spouse or not) you need to live in Canada for three out of the four years preceding your citizenship application. Nothing to do with date of PR visa issue.

Generally, yes. If you murder someone or something like that they can obviously revoke your status!

The visa is only good for one use. You are not a PR until you use it to enter Canada and "land". When that happens the visa is cancelled and you are issued with a permanent resident card which is what you use to re-enter Canada if you leave after that.

You can apply for citizenship as soon as you have racked up three years out of four. This could be after your first three years as a PR or after 50 years, it's up to you. Some people never apply for citizenship and just remain PRs.

I wouldn't worry about it just now - if you're planning to live in Canada permanently at some point then firstly make sure you fulfil the requirements for keeping your PR status and then think about applying for citizenship.

Good luck with the medical.

Suze
Suze

Thank you for the information, very helpful. I've removed my finger from the panic button!

I'm probably going to land and return, get my 12 months experience in my new job title, pay off my student loan and go back for good.

Whereabouts are you going to move to? I'm planning on joining friends in Toronto and taking it from there.

Life is very busy at the moment and I'm getting excited, very excited. How long until you go? I think I've responded to your threads before but I'm always happy to hear good news and about other peoples future ambitions.

I long for a house, an outdoor lifestyle and learning how to skate!

Wayne