Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Got job, waiting on LMO, so a few questions...!

Got job, waiting on LMO, so a few questions...!

Old May 1st 2012, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

roflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really nice
Smile Got job, waiting on LMO, so a few questions...!

Hi all,

I've recently been offered a role in Victoria, BC, which I've accepted and I am now on the long, slow road that is lined with paperwork. I've spent the last few years reading up on everything, but I've found that now it's actually started happening for real I feel like I'm none the wiser!

The company that's offered me a job has submitted their application for an LMO - they've said they expect it to take "8-14 weeks" (their words), but obviously I'm aware that nobody knows how long it's going to take apart from HRSDC...

So, if I can - a few questions!

1. If my prospective employer receives a positive LMO, I guess it's at that point that I apply to CHC London for a TWP? I'm aware that I *could* (correct me if I'm wrong...) apply for a TWP at a POE, but I'd rather make sure everything's in order before handing in my notice at my current job.

2. My prospective employer has already said that they want to start the process towards PR as soon as I am in the country - PNP has been mentioned. Like anyone in this situation, I'd like to get my status resolved sooner rather than later, but I know I'm in for a wait and even then by no means guaranteed to get it. I understand the other route here is to apply then as a FSW, using my new job to support my application. Experiences, timelines, recommendations here if anyone has them would be appreciated This also kind of leads me on to...

3. I'm married, but separated, and I have a son who is 7 years old. My son and my (eventually ex-) wife will be remaining in the UK. When it comes to medicals for a PR application, I understand I can ask for my ex to be excluded (on the understanding I won't be able to sponsor her in future), but am I correct in thinking that if I also exclude my son, I wouldn't be able to sponsor him? It's likely that he will remain with my ex, but if it would cause problems down the line (if he decides when he's older to move), I'd rather get it sorted then. Again, anyone with experience in this - I'd like to hear it!

4. Medicals again! I know this is probably looking too far into the future, and I also know that it's ultimately up to CIC whether they deem somebody admissible or not, but my brain is a sod and likes to conjure up all sorts of reasons why I'd be denied. I'm not the fittest of people (but nothing that getting off my backside and exercising won't sort out), and I'm in the process of discontinuing medication for depression, so I don't think there's too much to worry about - unless they find something I'm not aware of, of course. Am I just being ridiculous?

Apologies for the rambling post, but I've had a lot to think about the past week (not least being on the other side of the world to my son!), and I've constantly got questions popping into my head about all aspects of the process. I've lurked on here for a long time so I've read a lot of other peoples' stories - which has helped! - but now I'm doing it I'm slightly... terrified

Cheers
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:40 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Got job, waiting on LMO, so a few questions...!

Welcome to BritishExpats!

Originally Posted by roflwell
1. If my prospective employer receives a positive LMO, I guess it's at that point that I apply to CHC London for a TWP? I'm aware that I *could* (correct me if I'm wrong...) apply for a TWP at a POE, but I'd rather make sure everything's in order before handing in my notice at my current job.

Assuming the job doesn't require a medical - then simply turn up at the border. You can of course choose to apply through CHC London, but all they supply you with is a letter authorising you to collect the TWP at the border, which to my mind seems slightly pointless.

2. My prospective employer has already said that they want to start the process towards PR as soon as I am in the country - PNP has been mentioned. Like anyone in this situation, I'd like to get my status resolved sooner rather than later, but I know I'm in for a wait and even then by no means guaranteed to get it. I understand the other route here is to apply then as a FSW, using my new job to support my application. Experiences, timelines, recommendations here if anyone has them would be appreciated This also kind of leads me on to...

BC PNP is the way to go - will set you/employer back an extra $550, but it means that once BC has nominated you (assuming they do) then you do not need to worry about TWP renewals as BC PNP can provide a letter in lieu of an LMO in case you need a TWP renewal before PR comes through. If you go through a federal program then you do not have this luxury and have to apply for another LMO.

3. I'm married, but separated, and I have a son who is 7 years old. My son and my (eventually ex-) wife will be remaining in the UK. When it comes to medicals for a PR application, I understand I can ask for my ex to be excluded (on the understanding I won't be able to sponsor her in future), but am I correct in thinking that if I also exclude my son, I wouldn't be able to sponsor him? It's likely that he will remain with my ex, but if it would cause problems down the line (if he decides when he's older to move), I'd rather get it sorted then. Again, anyone with experience in this - I'd like to hear it!

You are correct. However, it is my understanding that your son can undergo the medical (thus not excluding him from sponsorship) but not be issued a PR visa. What steps your (ex-)wife has to take to approve this I do not know.

4. Medicals again! I know this is probably looking too far into the future, and I also know that it's ultimately up to CIC whether they deem somebody admissible or not, but my brain is a sod and likes to conjure up all sorts of reasons why I'd be denied. I'm not the fittest of people (but nothing that getting off my backside and exercising won't sort out), and I'm in the process of discontinuing medication for depression, so I don't think there's too much to worry about - unless they find something I'm not aware of, of course. Am I just being ridiculous?

I seem to remember reading that the medical is set to look for any illness that may cause in excess of $5000 burden on the Canadian Healthcare system or any communicable diseases.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

roflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really nice

Cheers BTJ! That confirms a lot of what I thought - guess it shows I'm not that bad at reading/comprehending after all

My split with the wife was perfectly amicable (we're still good friends), so I don't expect any problems in the future around our son, which I should count myself lucky for I guess!

My main reason for thinking about applying for the TWP before leaving was that I'm paranoid about quitting my job, getting everything in order and then being refused at the border! I know that if everything's been done properly that shouldn't be a problem, but... gah, stupid brain!

The employer themselves mentioned the PNP, and they already have a number of foreigners working for them, so I'm presuming they're familiar with the process already (and are willing to pay for it ). Like you say, it'd give me a bit of a safety net of not being turfed out of the country if my TWP expires before getting PR.

Cheers
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:15 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roflwell
Cheers BTJ! That confirms a lot of what I thought - guess it shows I'm not that bad at reading/comprehending after all

My split with the wife was perfectly amicable (we're still good friends), so I don't expect any problems in the future around our son, which I should count myself lucky for I guess!

My main reason for thinking about applying for the TWP before leaving was that I'm paranoid about quitting my job, getting everything in order and then being refused at the border! I know that if everything's been done properly that shouldn't be a problem, but... gah, stupid brain!

The employer themselves mentioned the PNP, and they already have a number of foreigners working for them, so I'm presuming they're familiar with the process already (and are willing to pay for it ). Like you say, it'd give me a bit of a safety net of not being turfed out of the country if my TWP expires before getting PR.

Cheers
If the employer already has foreign workers and have used the LMO route before - they could be eligible for the new A-LMO process - meaning not such a long wait for you. Might be worth them looking into this. http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=670919