Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Old Jul 18th 2019, 10:43 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 43
Sasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Hi there, I am hoping one of you kind people can help me out again (I am very grateful for the help in the past).

I now have got my ITA. There are a couple of things which I could really do with some help on. The work ref letter that you need - the company I work for is a very small company, there is the boss at the top and everyone else is underneath him, there is no structure to the company at all, I hold one of the more senior positions at the company, I don't really report to anyone (not even the owner) and have a lot of freedom within the business. There is a person that handles the HR related stuff.

So, I am unsure who would be best to sign the letter. The owner, the HR person or anyone else in the company as they are seen as equal to me (we all do different things). Or, someone who is no longer at the company?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Sasquatch888 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 12:57 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Engineer_abroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,706
Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Originally Posted by Sasquatch888 View Post
Hi there, I am hoping one of you kind people can help me out again (I am very grateful for the help in the past).

I now have got my ITA. There are a couple of things which I could really do with some help on. The work ref letter that you need - the company I work for is a very small company, there is the boss at the top and everyone else is underneath him, there is no structure to the company at all, I hold one of the more senior positions at the company, I don't really report to anyone (not even the owner) and have a lot of freedom within the business. There is a person that handles the HR related stuff.

So, I am unsure who would be best to sign the letter. The owner, the HR person or anyone else in the company as they are seen as equal to me (we all do different things). Or, someone who is no longer at the company?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
I would suggest your HR person.
Engineer_abroad is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:07 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 43
Sasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad View Post

I would suggest your HR person.
Thank you. So then this leads to another problem - the HR person is the owners wife, everyone knows your business and telling them I am applying to become a permanent resident of Canada would not go down too well. This is the only job I am declaring and the only one I have had for the past 7 years. Not going to be easy...
Sasquatch888 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:16 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Engineer_abroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,706
Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Originally Posted by Sasquatch888 View Post
Thank you. So then this leads to another problem - the HR person is the owners wife, everyone knows your business and telling them I am applying to become a permanent resident of Canada would not go down too well. This is the only job I am declaring and the only one I have had for the past 7 years. Not going to be easy...
why would applying for PR not go down well? This rings alarm bells for me. But at the end of the day someone from the company will need to sign the letter and it can’t be you which means either HR or the overall boss. Either way they are going to know. Might I suggest having a conversation with your boss informing them of your intention to apply for PR before giving them the letter.
Engineer_abroad is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:30 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 43
Sasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad View Post

why would applying for PR not go down well? This rings alarm bells for me. But at the end of the day someone from the company will need to sign the letter and it can’t be you which means either HR or the overall boss. Either way they are going to know. Might I suggest having a conversation with your boss informing them of your intention to apply for PR before giving them the letter.
Because it would mean I will be leaving the company. Thank you for your suggestion.
Sasquatch888 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:34 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Engineer_abroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,706
Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Originally Posted by Sasquatch888 View Post
Because it would mean I will be leaving the company. Thank you for your suggestion.
ok but assuming you are in some form of temporary work permit at the moment you would need to leave the company anyway when your permit expired. This way there is a chance you might stay or st least stay for longer. Sometimes you just been to put a bit of a positive spin on it.
Engineer_abroad is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:40 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 43
Sasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad View Post

ok but assuming you are in some form of temporary work permit at the moment you would need to leave the company anyway when your permit expired. This way there is a chance you might stay or st least stay for longer. Sometimes you just been to put a bit of a positive spin on it.
I am a British citizen working in the UK, applying for PR to Canada.

And thank you - but you do not know my boss, the culture at this place, or the current situation the company as a whole is in.
Sasquatch888 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2019, 7:31 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 426
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got ITA - work letter signature advice please

Originally Posted by Sasquatch888 View Post
I am a British citizen working in the UK, applying for PR to Canada.

And thank you - but you do not know my boss, the culture at this place, or the current situation the company as a whole is in.
This is exactly it, I'm in the same boat and know that the day I ask for a reference letter for PR (if it comes, heres fingers crossed) via my HR department I am 100% going to be bottom of the pack and career limited should PR fall through after that letter.

Likewise as they know you are likely to leave, if they have a chance to replace you they will do. I feel in the UK asking for your work history letter of your employer is closely related to your employment being terminated/you being managed out of the business. (despite the fact that in my case once approved i would ideally still work for the company for another 9-10 months)

Only possible thought which is what I did for work experience for my trade exam was to use someone within the business who i now work alongside, but was my boss for x number of years to basically state " i was the direct manager/supervisor of XXXX from 20XX to 20XX, and whilst they now work elsewhere within the business i can confirm they still carry out the job duties" for reference here is their job description and a copy of their contract of employment. Obviously i don't know your work history within the business/how the structuring may have changed, i fell very lucky in that i can trust this person to keep quiet and they were my supervisor for a long enough period to cover my work experience anyway.

Best of luck.
Stumpylegs is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.