Got It!!!

Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Talking Got It!!!

OK...so I'm already a Canadian citizen...but I've now been approved for British citizenship. I've been in the UK for 15 years (since the age of 10), but it's now official, which means that when my (British) husband and I relocate to Canada, I can still return to the UK at will without forfeiting my "indefinite leave to remain". I'm a big believer in not burning bridges!

So it's not quite related to Canadian immigration, other than that this was the first step towards our being able to relocate...but it's still good!

Receipt of application 29th of April, minor delay of about a week when they wanted proof of my English skills, approved on 18th of July, so I just need to attend a ceremony to swear allegiance to the Queen (although technically, as a Canadian, she's already my Queen), then it's all legal.

I can now see what all of the excitement is about!

Katie
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Got It!!!

hi, congrats

quick question, my wife who is also a canadian citizen is about to apply for her 'indefinite leave to remain', however, we plan to go to canada in the near future .. will this indefinite leave to remain be forfeited in any way and under what circumstances?? ...
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scoobsta
hi, congrats

quick question, my wife who is also a canadian citizen is about to apply for her 'indefinite leave to remain', however, we plan to go to canada in the near future .. will this indefinite leave to remain be forfeited in any way and under what circumstances?? ...
What I was told was that the indefinite leave to remain is forfeited if you are out of the country for over 2 years, so general holidays shouldn't affect it. If you are planning to relocate to Canada, it is worth trying to get citizenship, more as a precaution than anything else...or at least that's how I saw it.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:32 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
OK...so I'm already a Canadian citizen...but I've now been approved for British citizenship. I've been in the UK for 15 years (since the age of 10), but it's now official, which means that when my (British) husband and I relocate to Canada, I can still return to the UK at will without forfeiting my "indefinite leave to remain". I'm a big believer in not burning bridges!

So it's not quite related to Canadian immigration, other than that this was the first step towards our being able to relocate...but it's still good!

Receipt of application 29th of April, minor delay of about a week when they wanted proof of my English skills, approved on 18th of July, so I just need to attend a ceremony to swear allegiance to the Queen (although technically, as a Canadian, she's already my Queen), then it's all legal.

Katie
congarts katie....
even if its not related to canadian immigration, still its something to celebrate!
so, congrats and good luck on ur moving back to canada
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:51 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Congratulations.

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

Katie
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!! I didn't know new Brits had to swear allegiance - sounds just like the Canadian ceremony I had...where I misunderstood what the High Commissioner said to me and spent the entire oath with my hand upturned and out, as if I was expecting candy, instead of up at shoulder height to swear an oath

Enjoy your day, have they given you a date yet?

Biiiiink
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:00 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Congrats!! I didn't know new Brits had to swear allegiance - sounds just like the Canadian ceremony I had...where I misunderstood what the High Commissioner said to me and spent the entire oath with my hand upturned and out, as if I was expecting candy, instead of up at shoulder height to swear an oath

Enjoy your day, have they given you a date yet?

Biiiiink
Just out of curiousity and long-term planning biiink , how did u prove that u have stayed 3 years out of the 5 in Canada, in order to get the citizenship??
I am just thinking long-term
Also, do u just need to fill in the forms and send it; and thats it????
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amancharan
Just out of curiousity and long-term planning biiink , how did u prove that u have stayed 3 years out of the 5 in Canada, in order to get the citizenship??
I am just thinking long-term
Also, do u just need to fill in the forms and send it; and thats it????
I didn't, I got my citizenship in the UK via a special grant. Only took a few years of pestering and threatening them
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Heeeeey, Congrats buddy. Happy landing into the Maple.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

No date yet, it's very cloak and dagger. They are mailing an "invitation", which consists of a phone number to call. My local authority then tells me the date and location (the location moves depending on the number of attendees). Luckily my boss has agreed to give me a "free" paid day to attend the ceremony, so I don't even have to use a day's holiday. Just want to get it all over with now!