Goods to precede

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

SteveC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to precede

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I have done some searching and couldn't find anything.

I am due to land in Canada on 26 February and wanted to ship a couple of boxes of personal items to a family member there so that it is waiting for me when I arrive. I am emigrating alone and am not taking any furniture or appliances so my goods to precede, accompany and follow basically amount to 4 or 5 medium sized boxes of clothes, books, etc.

Would there be any issue with me sending some clothes, etc ahead of time or will I start causing myself hassles with customs?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:44 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to precede

Originally Posted by SteveC
Would there be any issue with me sending some clothes, etc ahead of time or will I start causing myself hassles with customs?
Yes, there will be an issue, and yes, you will cause yourself hassles with customs.

The only way that your possessions are allowed to arrive in Canada before you is if the shipper holds them in bond until you arrive.

The shipper may charge you to store the items in bond.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply Judy.

If I just send ahead a suitcase with some clothes, will that still be an issue?

I am initially going over under BUNAC but am hoping to be nominated under Alberta PNP (pending a job offer next week). Once I am there under BUNAC, will there be any issue with me having my things sent over or will I have to wait the approx 6 months until I am officially a Permanent Resident?

I am, of course, working on the assumption that all goes to plan with PNP, PR, etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Judy.

If I just send ahead a suitcase with some clothes, will that still be an issue?

I am initially going over under BUNAC but am hoping to be nominated under Alberta PNP (pending a job offer next week). Once I am there under BUNAC, will there be any issue with me having my things sent over or will I have to wait the approx 6 months until I am officially a Permanent Resident?

I am, of course, working on the assumption that all goes to plan with PNP, PR, etc.
Pack it all, stick it in boxes, got to mailboxes etc and find out shipping costs. Give boxes and money (or a voucher you've already paid for) to good reliable friend and have them ship it same day you're flying.

Have your goods to follow list handy when you arrive and a day or two later, go to your buddy in Canada to pick up the boxes.

Or just talk to the airline about shipping them as cargo with you on the same flight.

Why tempt fate and ship it ahead of time. Box, suitcase, canvas bag or carrier bag, doesn't matter. It's GOODS TO FOLLOW not GOODS TO PRECEDE.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

But I'm going on BUNAC. Does the goods to follow procedure apply here or will I need to wait until PR?

I can't see myself living on 20kg worth of kit for six months!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

You could try and claim back any duty your relatives pay on your behalf after you've landed... ?

I needed to take back some duty-paid bookcases to the US, had to go and get my original receipts stamped, show the goods were leaving the country, fill out a form, send it off... a right palaver, but it can be done if the duty paid is worth bothering about. (I gave up half-way through the process, it wasn't worth it for me!).
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

But I'm going on BUNAC. Does the goods to follow procedure apply here or will I need to wait until PR?

I can't see myself living on 20kg worth of kit for six months!
Then take it with you as excess baggage, just pre book it as cargo.