Goods to Follow - Value of Goods

Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:22 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Default Goods to Follow - Value of Goods

Hi

On the goods to follow list what 'value' do you put on items? Is this their 2nd Value or the price you'd have to pay to replace them. For example clothes, you'd not really get much for them if you sold them, but if you lost them and had to track down similar items they would cost a lot.

What is the purpose of providing a value on the goods to follow list?

If it's the second hand value written on the goods to follow list, does this make a difference when you are shipping goods? Obviously when shipping you'd want to insure them for what you'd get if they were broken or went missing en route to Canada.

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere. There are so many goods to follow threads on here now, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Many Thanks
Helen
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:34 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow - Value of Goods

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
On the goods to follow list what 'value' do you put on items? Is this their 2nd Value or the price you'd have to pay to replace them. For example clothes, you'd not really get much for them if you sold them, but if you lost them and had to track down similar items they would cost a lot.
From Canada Border Services Agency's point of view, I don't think it matters. I think they nominally want you to write down secondhand values. But on the other hand, I honestly don't think they care. They certainly didn't look at the values on our lists on the occasions that we moved to Canada (which is something we have done twice). According to reports on this forum, some customs officers look at Goods to Follow lists and stamp them, and some customs officers don't care about them. But, even in cases in which customs officers look at Goods to Follow lists, I have never heard of them scrutinizing the dollar values on the lists.

What is the purpose of providing a value on the goods to follow list?
That's a good question. I have no idea.

If it's the second hand value written on the goods to follow list, does this make a difference when you are shipping goods? Obviously when shipping you'd want to insure them for what you'd get if they were broken or went missing en route to Canada.
In many cases, a person who is moving to Canada uses his/her Goods to Follow list as the manifest that he/she lodges with his/her insurance company. In that case, it would be better to quote replacement values rather than secondhand values. In the event that your shipment came to harm, you'd naturally want the insurance company to compensate you for the replacement value.

That's what we did when we moved to Canada. That is, our Goods to Follow list also was the list that we lodged with our insurance company. We stated replacement values on the list.

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere. There are so many goods to follow threads on here now, I couldn't find what I was looking for.
Thanks for shedding light on a gap in the Wiki. I'll add something about this to the Wiki called Goods to Follow.
x
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:38 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Default Re: Goods to Follow - Value of Goods

Thanks Judy. I'll go with 'replacement value'. I'd rather over estimate than under estimate.