Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

"Goods to Follow" with no goods to follow?

"Goods to Follow" with no goods to follow?

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road
Default "Goods to Follow" with no goods to follow?

My partner and I currently live in Canada and have done since mid-2010 (I'm Canadian; he was here first on a working holiday visa, then as a visitor whilst waiting for our common-law outland application to be processed). He just received his COPR, so we're heading south to "flagpole" in the next couple of weeks.

Because we've been here so long, there's nothing left for him to ship from the UK (there wasn't much to begin with, actually--he's a light traveller). Do we need to complete a Goods to Follow form prior to his landing? Are we going to have to list everything he brought with him in the past or can we just submit an empty list?

How do we comply with the "Goods to Follow" list requirement if he has no goods to follow?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Goods to Follow" with no goods to follow?

If he is already here and no goods to follow just tell CBSA that when landing.
You dont even need to fill out a B4 form that should be done by CBSA when landing. They will just notate no goods to follow.
Make sure he has no goods to follow as once notated then thats it.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, thank you!

(If others want to pipe in with their no-goods-to-follow experiences, feel free to add to the thread. I'm always reassured by having more responses confirming.)
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aperture
Excellent, thank you!

(If others want to pipe in with their no-goods-to-follow experiences, feel free to add to the thread. I'm always reassured by having more responses confirming.)
Well speaking as a BSO working for CBSA I think that should be sufficient reassurance
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well speaking as a BSO working for CBSA I think that should be sufficient reassurance
Oh, I didn't realise you worked for CBSA! In that case, EXTRA thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:14 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

i'll be doing the same so would appreciate it if when you land you could give a heads up on what they said lol.

Starting to panic - me? No never
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be doing the same too. Brought all my stuff with me as a visitor. Didn't have much either. Will also be interested to hear of your experience when your husband lands.

Incidentally, just wanted to ask you what instructions came with the COPR with regards to landing without flagpoling/visiting the US? I mentioned this to my boyfriend last night and he asked if there was another way to land - 'couldn't I just go to an office or something?' I said, I thought it was possible, but had heard something about there being a 6 week wait for appts and I am buggered if I am waiting any longer. If I've put my life on hold for 18 months, then the least he can do is drive us to Buffalo and back (we're in Toronto)!!! I'm getting ahead of myself here, just waiting for hopefully the COPR to arrive in the post this week. But thought I would investigate if there is a possibility of going to a CIC office in TO perhaps.

If not we'll go to Buffalo for the day. Out of interest Former Lancastrian....if we did go to Buffalo, stay over night and say do a little 'shopping', could I list those goods as my 'goods to follow'? It's worth a shot asking!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you are already in Canada and need to land/activate your PR you do not need to flagpole you can do it at any CIC office close to you. Its a CIC office not CBSA so dont think of going to Pearson to see if they will do it.
Most people flagpole as they might have to make appointments with the CIC office.
Any goods purchased in the US will not count as goods to follow if you have been living in Canada for over 12 months awaiting PR. These goods are treated under the personal exemption limits as per this link
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html

Good try