Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow needed on soft landing?

Goods to follow needed on soft landing?

Old Sep 4th 2018, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goods to follow needed on soft landing?

Hi, I am travelling to Canada this Friday to activate my PR visa I will just be staying for a week before returning to the UK and plan to move out next Spring.

Do I need to present my goods to follow on this soft-landing trip?

I have read some people recommend having it just in case but I have not prepared it yet so ideally would prefer to do in when I move out next year. I will likely have my PR card on my next trip; will immigration consider that I have already settled if I present this on my next visit?
Old Sep 4th 2018, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow needed on soft landing?

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
Hi, I am travelling to Canada this Friday to activate my PR visa I will just be staying for a week before returning to the UK and plan to move out next Spring.

I have read some people recommend having it just in case but I have not prepared it yet so ideally would prefer to do in when I move out next year. I will likely have my PR card on my next trip; will immigration consider that I have already settled if I present this on my next visit?
Tis all described at length with links to official pages in the wiki section here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are doing a soft landing and don't have an address to give to the CBSA Officer for your PR card to be sent to, you won't have your PR card on your next trip. (You will need to apply for a PRTD to return by air), but you won't be considered as entering with "the intent of establishing residency as a settler" - so shouldn't have to have your Goods to Follow list - though I'd still recommend having it in case you get a 'jobsworth' officer (or have the relative section reference that states you don't need it, with you)

If you are giving the CBSA Officer an address for your card to be sent to - you could get a CBSA Officer that says that could be interpreted that you are, in fact, entering Canada with "the intent of establishing residency as a settler".. in which case you WILL need your goods to follow (and accompanying) lists for stamping if you wish to import anything later without incurring taxes or duties.

If the latter is the case then I'd suggest you start making a generic list - x boxes of .... x boxes of ... x boxes of ... - there is no need for detail except for in the case of any electronics / jewellery / valuable antiques .. (and there is no requirement to bring everything you list - put down everything you 'might' bring and over estimate the number of boxes - bearing in mind you must have owned it for 6 months or more for it to be counted)

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 5th 2018 at 1:35 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you are doing a soft landing and don't have an address to give to the CBSA Officer for your PR card to be sent to, you won't have your PR card on your next trip. (You will need to apply for a PRTD to return by air), but you won't be considered as entering with "the intent of establishing residency as a settler" - so shouldn't have to have your Goods to Follow list - though I'd still recommend having it in case you get a 'jobsworth' officer (or have the relative section reference that states you don't need it, with you)

If you are giving the CBSA Officer an address for your card to be sent to - you could get a CBSA Officer that says (rightly) that could be interpreted that you are, in fact, entering Canada with "the intent of establishing residency as a settler".. in which case you WILL need our goods to follow (and accompanying) lists for stamping if you wish to import anything later without incurring taxes or duties.

If the latter is the case then I'd suggest you start making a generic list - x boxes of .... x boxes of ... x boxes of ... - there is no need for detail except for in the case of any electronics / jewellery / valuable antiques .. (and there is no requirement to bring everything you list - put down everthing you 'might' bring - bearing in mind you must have owned it for 6 months or more for it to be counted)
Thanks, I would be using a friend’s address for the PR card and then get couriered across to UK so I can use on my next visit. I undersnd from the wiki that I just need to make notes of what I am bringing and approximate values?
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I would be using a friend’s address for the PR card and then get couriered across to UK so I can use on my next visit. I undersnd from the wiki that I just need to make notes of what I am bringing and approximate values?

In that case I'd get that GTF list sorted!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-CanadaHow_to_complete_forms
Old Sep 11th 2018, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Thought I would share my experience. I landed and successfully activated my PR. Was told the goods list would only be necessary when I come back to settle.