Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Here is the deal....is the "goods to follow" list all meant to come into the country in one shot? What if you are bringing the goods in piecemeal and don't or cannot do it all in one shot, say bringing a pickup load at a time. Can the customs man handle that?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

alton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by zider
Here is the deal....is the "goods to follow" list all meant to come into the country in one shot? What if you are bringing the goods in piecemeal and don't or cannot do it all in one shot, say bringing a pickup load at a time. Can the customs man handle that?

Thanks.
The settlers effect says that there is no time limit on when you can bring your goods. And if they stamped your list, then Canadian customs should be able to tell which items you have brought and will still bring. However, in Vancouver, they don't stamp your list anymore so it makes me wonder how they will be able to tell.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks that is what I thought. By the way are you talking about the Peace Arch crossing or the Pacific crossing, do they both not stamp the list?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks that is what I thought. By the way are you talking about the Peace Arch crossing or the Pacific crossing, do they both not stamp the list?
I flew and landed at YVR so I am not sure if they also don't stamp in other entry points in BC or other places in Canada.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Oh thanks anyway, I was talking about the land crossings and the best one to use.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Thanks.
This is a good question. I landed in Toronto and had my list of goods to follow stamped. there is another one page customs document attached to it. I most probably will settle in Vancouver and do not think i will bring my stuff all at once. I am in the USA now.

Please advise. thanks
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Now found the answer is FIVE years to import everything. Can be brought a little at a time if necessary, and was told that entering at the same point each time helps, or they have to FAX a list of what comes in each time to the original crossing point of your landing, but hey ho, there you go.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Now found the answer is FIVE years to import everything. Can be brought a little at a time if necessary, and was told that entering at the same point each time helps, or they have to FAX a list of what comes in each time to the original crossing point of your landing, but hey ho, there you go.
Hi Zider,

Where did you get the answer of FIVE years? Does this apply in Vancouver only? It seems to contradict what the Settler's Effect is saying:

"39. Only goods that were declared and listed as goods to follow on the settler's original Form B4 are eligible for duty- and tax-free importation at a later time under tariff item No. 9807.00.00. There is no time limit for importing goods to follow that were listed on the settler's Form B4."

Also, I am wondering, how do they prevent people from importing items that they bought after landing if they landed in Vancouver?

Last edited by alton; Apr 14th 2005 at 8:34 am.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by alton
The settlers effect says that there is no time limit on when you can bring your goods. And if they stamped your list, then Canadian customs should be able to tell which items you have brought and will still bring. However, in Vancouver, they don't stamp your list anymore so it makes me wonder how they will be able to tell.
It's not true. I landed in February 2005 and they actually did stampe my list.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Raska
It's not true. I landed in February 2005 and they actually did stampe my list.
It's true. I landed in March 2005 so it appears to be a recent change.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Don't know for sure if the five years is true or not it was just a young Customs Border Guard who said Five years. Maybe it is unlimited, but I intend to move everything within the soonest period.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Don't know for sure if the five years is true or not it was just a young Customs Border Guard who said Five years. Maybe it is unlimited, but I intend to move everything within the soonest period.
I thought about the 5 year-thing. I guess the customs officer said that because for us not to lose the canadian residence, we should accumulate 2 years of physical presence in FIVE years. It does not make sense to bring your goods after FIVE years if you have not spent 2 years in the first place.
=========
I already landed but had to come back to the USA to wrap up my studies. The question is next time i enter Canada, do i have to have with me all the goods i said i would be bringing OR can I each time i go to CANADA (i may be visiting Canada before my fina settlement), i bring some of my goods with me. Thanks for your answers.

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Apr 21st 2005 at 6:28 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Yes a little at a time is not an issue, as I mentioned they can check off each box or line on the list each time, provided you cross at the same post each time, otherwise they need to FAX to the entry post your imported goods as I suppose the Border Services just keep their copy of your list at the entry post.