Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:06 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: dorset
Posts: 109
zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Here is the deal....is the "goods to follow" list all meant to come into the country in one shot? What if you are bringing the goods in piecemeal and don't or cannot do it all in one shot, say bringing a pickup load at a time. Can the customs man handle that?

Thanks.
zider is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:37 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 105
alton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by zider
Here is the deal....is the "goods to follow" list all meant to come into the country in one shot? What if you are bringing the goods in piecemeal and don't or cannot do it all in one shot, say bringing a pickup load at a time. Can the customs man handle that?

Thanks.
The settlers effect says that there is no time limit on when you can bring your goods. And if they stamped your list, then Canadian customs should be able to tell which items you have brought and will still bring. However, in Vancouver, they don't stamp your list anymore so it makes me wonder how they will be able to tell.
alton is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:24 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: dorset
Posts: 109
zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Thanks that is what I thought. By the way are you talking about the Peace Arch crossing or the Pacific crossing, do they both not stamp the list?
zider is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:44 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 105
alton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by zider
Thanks that is what I thought. By the way are you talking about the Peace Arch crossing or the Pacific crossing, do they both not stamp the list?
I flew and landed at YVR so I am not sure if they also don't stamp in other entry points in BC or other places in Canada.
alton is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:59 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: dorset
Posts: 109
zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Oh thanks anyway, I was talking about the land crossings and the best one to use.
zider is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:41 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 253
Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by zider
Here is the deal....is the "goods to follow" list all meant to come into the country in one shot? What if you are bringing the goods in piecemeal and don't or cannot do it all in one shot, say bringing a pickup load at a time. Can the customs man handle that?

Thanks.
This is a good question. I landed in Toronto and had my list of goods to follow stamped. there is another one page customs document attached to it. I most probably will settle in Vancouver and do not think i will bring my stuff all at once. I am in the USA now.

Please advise. thanks
Yasmina2005 is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:18 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: dorset
Posts: 109
zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Now found the answer is FIVE years to import everything. Can be brought a little at a time if necessary, and was told that entering at the same point each time helps, or they have to FAX a list of what comes in each time to the original crossing point of your landing, but hey ho, there you go.
zider is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:32 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 105
alton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by zider
Now found the answer is FIVE years to import everything. Can be brought a little at a time if necessary, and was told that entering at the same point each time helps, or they have to FAX a list of what comes in each time to the original crossing point of your landing, but hey ho, there you go.
Hi Zider,

Where did you get the answer of FIVE years? Does this apply in Vancouver only? It seems to contradict what the Settler's Effect is saying:

"39. Only goods that were declared and listed as goods to follow on the settler's original Form B4 are eligible for duty- and tax-free importation at a later time under tariff item No. 9807.00.00. There is no time limit for importing goods to follow that were listed on the settler's Form B4."

Also, I am wondering, how do they prevent people from importing items that they bought after landing if they landed in Vancouver?

Last edited by alton; Apr 14th 2005 at 8:34 am.
alton is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:28 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 180
Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by alton
The settlers effect says that there is no time limit on when you can bring your goods. And if they stamped your list, then Canadian customs should be able to tell which items you have brought and will still bring. However, in Vancouver, they don't stamp your list anymore so it makes me wonder how they will be able to tell.
It's not true. I landed in February 2005 and they actually did stampe my list.
Raska is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:05 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 105
alton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by Raska
It's not true. I landed in February 2005 and they actually did stampe my list.
It's true. I landed in March 2005 so it appears to be a recent change.
alton is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2005, 6:32 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: dorset
Posts: 109
zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Don't know for sure if the five years is true or not it was just a young Customs Border Guard who said Five years. Maybe it is unlimited, but I intend to move everything within the soonest period.
zider is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:24 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 253
Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Originally Posted by zider
Don't know for sure if the five years is true or not it was just a young Customs Border Guard who said Five years. Maybe it is unlimited, but I intend to move everything within the soonest period.
I thought about the 5 year-thing. I guess the customs officer said that because for us not to lose the canadian residence, we should accumulate 2 years of physical presence in FIVE years. It does not make sense to bring your goods after FIVE years if you have not spent 2 years in the first place.
=========
I already landed but had to come back to the USA to wrap up my studies. The question is next time i enter Canada, do i have to have with me all the goods i said i would be bringing OR can I each time i go to CANADA (i may be visiting Canada before my fina settlement), i bring some of my goods with me. Thanks for your answers.

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Apr 21st 2005 at 6:28 pm.
Yasmina2005 is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:14 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: dorset
Posts: 109
zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow...a little at a time?

Yes a little at a time is not an issue, as I mentioned they can check off each box or line on the list each time, provided you cross at the same post each time, otherwise they need to FAX to the entry post your imported goods as I suppose the Border Services just keep their copy of your list at the entry post.
zider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.