Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Old Feb 18th 2023, 1:14 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 386
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Intending to move permanently to Canada this summer having previously "soft landed to activate PR" . At the time of our landing we were told I seem to remember, to bring the goods to follow list when we moved to Canada full time. With this in mind what will happen at the airport? I have produced a spread sheet which I will print out and take with us, do I just tell them at the kiosk that I have a list and they take it off me and say have a nice day or is it more complicated? I'm asking because our flight connection is 1hr 30mins so time will be pretty tight.
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 2:24 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,164
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Intending to move permanently to Canada this summer having previously "soft landed to activate PR" . At the time of our landing we were told I seem to remember, to bring the goods to follow list when we moved to Canada full time. With this in mind what will happen at the airport? I have produced a spread sheet which I will print out and take with us, do I just tell them at the kiosk that I have a list and they take it off me and say have a nice day or is it more complicated? I'm asking because our flight connection is 1hr 30mins so time will be pretty tight.
Can you change your second flight? 1.5 hours would be tight even if you didn't have to do all of that faffing around and waiting at customs!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 2:33 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,875
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

As you did a soft landing with no intention of residing permanently at the time you should on arrival be telling CBSA that you did a soft landing (watch for officers look of bewilderment when you say that) and they should send you to secondary to have the B4A form completed and stamp your goods to follow list which should be 2 x copies.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 2:45 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 386
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can you change your second flight? 1.5 hours would be tight even if you didn't have to do all of that faffing around and waiting at customs!
We did have a longer connection but the airline changed the times, had a look on line and they would want more to change it than the ticket cost in the first place!
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 2:49 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 386
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As you did a soft landing with no intention of residing permanently at the time you should on arrival be telling CBSA that you did a soft landing (watch for officers look of bewilderment when you say that) and they should send you to secondary to have the B4A form completed and stamp your goods to follow list which should be 2 x copies.
Sounds like it could be time consuming? could I maybe deal with the CBSA at my final destination instead.
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 3:24 am
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,164
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
We did have a longer connection but the airline changed the times, had a look on line and they would want more to change it than the ticket cost in the first place!
If they've changed the time significantly then you should be able to change it for free?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 3:44 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 386
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If they've changed the time significantly then you should be able to change it for free?
They have given more than 7 days notice and changed the time by less than 3 hours so apparently that's fine!
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 4:05 am
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,164
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
They have given more than 7 days notice and changed the time by less than 3 hours so apparently that's fine!
Oh bum. I'd try phoning them and explaining the situation, tell them you can't accept the proposed new flight time as you are actually emigrating and it won't give you time to get through immigration/customs so you need a free flight change to a later connecting flight. Worth a try anyway, be super polite and appeal to their better nature.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:06 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 386
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh bum. I'd try phoning them and explaining the situation, tell them you can't accept the proposed new flight time as you are actually emigrating and it won't give you time to get through immigration/customs so you need a free flight change to a later connecting flight. Worth a try anyway, be super polite and appeal to their better nature.
Last time we flew with the same airline we paid extra for tickets that could be changed "free of charge" catch is whilst they don't charge you for carrying out the change they do charge you for the difference in fares which close to your time of travel is likely to be many times your original ticket cost.
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2023, 6:19 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,875
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Sounds like it could be time consuming? could I maybe deal with the CBSA at my final destination instead.
No because you would be on a domestic flight and won't clear Customs at your final destination.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2023, 1:34 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 386
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No because you would be on a domestic flight and won't clear Customs at your final destination.
Good Point!
Once in front of the secondary offer how long would it typically take to process a traveller's B4A?
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2023, 3:03 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,875
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Good Point!
Once in front of the secondary offer how long would it typically take to process a traveller's B4A?
Depends where you are in the queue. If at Pearson it could be anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours dependent on how many other large flights have arrived at the same time or just before you.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2023, 3:51 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 386
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Depends where you are in the queue. If at Pearson it could be anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours dependent on how many other large flights have arrived at the same time or just before you.
It doesn't look like we can guarantee catching the connecting flight as we would only have a maximum of say an hour (that's if the first flight is on time) so what about if we were to arrive normally and then do a "flagpole" trip to the US border to register the list the next day as it's only just over an hour away?
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2023, 7:37 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,875
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to Follow List Procedure Following Previous Soft Landing

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
It doesn't look like we can guarantee catching the connecting flight as we would only have a maximum of say an hour (that's if the first flight is on time) so what about if we were to arrive normally and then do a "flagpole" trip to the US border to register the list the next day as it's only just over an hour away?
Your choice if you want to do it that way. On arrival at USCBP either tell them you want to flagpole and take the Administrative refusal or go for lunch then come back. Make sure you have the e passport from the UK and you will need to pay the VWP fee if wishing to enter the US and make sure you have $6 USD in cash each person..
Former Lancastrian is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.