Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Goods accompanying - multiple trips?

Goods accompanying - multiple trips?

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goods accompanying - multiple trips?

Question is can we declare 'goods accompanying' more than once with CBSA?

I am asking as we plan to do a 'soft landing' trip in April (to declare PR and make preparations for our final trip), then a return to the UK to finish selling the house and return again once this is done (hopefully June / July but it may be later - you know how the UK house selling process is!).

Can we declare goods accompanying on BOTH trips? We would be able to leave the first couple of suitcases with friends in Canada.

Of course we would only be able to declare 'good to follow' on our later trip as it would only be then we would have the shippers list etc.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods accompanying - multiple trips?

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Question is can we declare 'goods accompanying' more than once with CBSA?

I am asking as we plan to do a 'soft landing' trip in April (to declare PR and make preparations for our final trip), then a return to the UK to finish selling the house and return again once this is done (hopefully June / July but it may be later - you know how the UK house selling process is!).

Can we declare goods accompanying on BOTH trips? We would be able to leave the first couple of suitcases with friends in Canada.

Of course we would only be able to declare 'good to follow' on our later trip as it would only be then we would have the shippers list etc.
As you are not establishing a residence on your 1st trip then CBSA should not be filling out a B4 and asking for a list of goods to follow on the initial trip.

Who are Considered Settlers?
1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.
D2-2-1 Memorandum - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00

From the same memo
10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.

I would simply explain that even though you are doing a landing you are not becoming a Settler. When you arrive on your 2nd or 3rd trip to finally establish a residence that is when the B4 form should be filled out and any lists of goods to follow prepared and given to CBSA.

Now you might encounter a BSO who will say Im wrong but the D memo in the link quite clearly states that if not establishing a residence on the initial entry then you are not to be treated as a Settler.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah - got it now, thanks.

Not a problem. So we will wait until our final 'settler' trip to do both good accompanying and goods to follow.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Aaah - got it now, thanks.

Not a problem. So we will wait until our final 'settler' trip to do both good accompanying and goods to follow.
That's how I did it but mine was all goods to follow.

S
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

If you declare that you are doing a soft landing and coming back later to settle (therefore doing goods to follow later too) does this affect your ability to give a Canadian address for your PR card to be mailed to? Is it unwise to say that you are not staying but please send my PR card to my c/o address?
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
If you declare that you are doing a soft landing and coming back later to settle (therefore doing goods to follow later too) does this affect your ability to give a Canadian address for your PR card to be mailed to? Is it unwise to say that you are not staying but please send my PR card to my c/o address?
No it doesn't.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
That is precisely what I am planning to do!