Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Good news (finally!) - Work Permit Application Question

Good news (finally!) - Work Permit Application Question

Old Oct 9th 2016, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

gwoodhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Good news (finally!) - Work Permit Application Question

Hello,

As some of the regulars will remember I've been at this for a while, but we've finally figured a way to experience Canada.

My partner will be Studying in Canada (Got accepted to a 2 year course starting January!) and as so we're applying for a Student Permit for him and I'll be applying for an attached Open Work Permit (Plan being that I work as a Software Developer to support my Partner while we're there).

Our application includes a section to include "Purpose of Travel - Other (required)" in order to give evidence that we're not planning to stay permanently - But I can't attach return flight tickets as it's a 2 year course and we're planning to stay for two years.

We're renting our house here in the UK ready for us to come back to but I'm not sure how to make documentation out of that.

Do people know what they're expecting for "Purpose of travel" when linked to a Student Permit? Or any ideas what I can attach here? Not sure how to document "We have friends and family here".

Also, this is all seeming pretty straight forward - I'm kind of waiting for the bottom to fall out of it as we're not doing this through Visa agents. If we get anything wrong in the application, I assume they'll just ask us for the missing info and continue with the application rather than reject it wholesale?

And there won't be any restriction on the work permit apart from time will there? cic website suggests there *could* be restrictions on the type of work but doesn't go into detail of why ?

As always, thanks very much for any help

Wish us luck!

Graeme
Old Oct 9th 2016, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news (finally!) - Work Permit Application Question

You would need a medical exam if doing any of the following jobs
You may have to get a medical exam because of the type of job you want to do in Canada. Examples of such jobs are:

Jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as:
workers in the health sciences field
clinical laboratory workers
patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children
domestics
workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery employees and
other similar jobs
Agricultural workers who have visited or lived in one of these countries for more than six months during the past year.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

gwoodhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lancastrian Thanks for the reply - Yes I saw those. I only plan to work in Software so no checks needed I think.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Graeme,

My partner and I are planing the exact same thing, pretty much with the same plan as yours but a year behind (we're looking at Jan 2018 if we can get the funds together, otherwise May)

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as we are in the same boat with regards to houses, jobs, return flights and so on!