Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Good Immigration consultant & vist

Wikiposts

Good Immigration consultant & vist

Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:56 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Immigration consultant & vist

Originally Posted by live to ski
Hey NewCanadian

Have you read any of the horror stories on here from people who hired and paid good money for immigration consultants / lawyers?

I suceeded far better and fast on my own than I did with the so called help of a very expensive immigration lawyer.

I landed as a PR 3 weeks ago only because I didn't have any help as you put it and did it alone in the end (other than the great support off here). If I had gone with the immigration lawyers advice I would probably still be on implied status waiting for a new WP through LMO and then doing SW PR, rather than my choice of route of BC PNP.

I think the trouble is that people think that the more they pay the better the service where this isn't necessarily true.

Even with the most expensive help, you still have to do much of the leg work in collecting evidence and documents yourself.

Here's a thread that you might find interesting to read http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507232
Your example (and few others reported here - not a lot though as your post implies) doesn't mean that hiring a good representative is a bad thing. Polls conducted in this forum in the past and quite recently show that among members here about 25% to 35% used help of professional and didn't regret it. Few bad cases won't change it. Also remember that those (like yourself) who were learning all tricks from this forum and advice of experts are in much better position than newcomers here or those that never bother to do their homework and learn. Some (like yourself) are probably better suited to deal with applications on their own, while others (majority at large) are not up to the task for as many reasons as number of applicants.

Why, if it is so easy to use DIY route there is still 50% overall refusal rate, at steady level for past decade or so? And don't try to tell me that refusal rate is the same among DIY doers and those who used representative. Many years ago (in early '90's) when last time such info was accessible from outside CIC stats were reporting about 75% refusal rate among DIY applicants and only about 8% among those who used professional assistance, if my memory serves me well. Do you really think that much have changed since?

Why I'm (and many other experts) are being retained every year by dozens of applicants who applied on their own, sure that they had points, without criminal record or other inadmissibility problems, just to find out years later that they were refused for the reason they didn't expect and now realized that if they have been used professional assistance from the start they would already be PR?

Please, don't compare your case to others and don't discourage those who for their own reasons (not yours) are seeking professional assistance with application process.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:07 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this issue has arisen because a member was trying to assertain that the OP knew that it wasnt an obligatory part of emigrating to Canada, paying for the services of an Immigration consultant. This member was then accused of persistantly putting people off hiring assistance, which is strange to say the least. So the debate has more to do with that, than the OP's actual need, or not, for reprisentation.

Without a shadow of a doubt, there are great reprisentatives out there and there are some very happy immigrants as a result. All your points are well made too. I think that there are many of us who have done it on our own, for whatever reasons, that we hear those stories where it has not gone so well and dont have much positive to balance out the negative. We havent used a consultant and not many people come here and shout about how great their experience was. Sad fact. I started a thread only last week asking about people's experiences, but no-one who had used consultants chose to reply, I suspect because they were concerned about my motives in asking. It was simply to hear some balance, so that was a shame.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

chazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jonandconnie
Hi there
new to this site so please bear with me.

I am trying to move to BC under the pnp as a painter/decorator. problem is we are getting no where with a good consultant.
Have spoke and emailed shadi norman many times but progress is not happening and I am starting to hear bad stories about her. Also tried Rudolf Kischer but as a lawyer he wants over $13000 to get me a job and process the application ect.
Does anybody know or can recommend a better consultant?

Also if we are planning a 2 week fact finding trip and break to BC, could you offer any advice on a good place to pitch camp and explore? We saw a house for rent in north surrey at a $1000 per week. We shall be taking our 2 year old hence the house seemed a better option than a hotel.

Thanks

Jon and Connie

Hi Jon & Connie We used Shadi and had no problems at all . She was very helpfull and was in contact with us via phone & e-maill the whole way through our application ( passports submitted for PR visa's will collect in 2 weeks) . When we where looking for help i had also called Rudolf Kischer I also throught he was expensive . I never found this site till well after we had started our Application . good luck chaz
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew as I've said many times before it just terrifies me that people think that all they have to do is hand lots of money for someone to find them a job / sort out all immigrations aspects etc. and they can sit back and do nothing.

I only want to warn people that if they really do want to come here they should keep on top of things themselves and not put blind faith in someone. If they retain the wrong person and don't keep an eye on things then I certainly wouldn't want to be in their position.

If you retain an immigration lawyer / consultant work with them as a team, but remember they are only human too and can make mistakes as have been mentioned on here.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Andrews - what happened to the people in this thread? They retained someone but still are being called to interview, even though in your reply you said that
I feel bad repeating myself here - but using professional help with application wouldn't be as expensive as loss of time in the process, costs associated now with attending the interview and with fixing your file.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:09 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live to ski
Andrews - what happened to the people in this thread? They retained someone but still are being called to interview, even though in your reply you said that
I can't say anything about mentioned firm. Reasons in PM.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

HI

we used a consultant , and i glad we did the london office added up my education points wrong, and we where declined. It was the consultant that pointed me in the right direction in what information i needed, they did the leg work and guess what i have been accepted , and did my medicals on the 31st January.

The one i used, has a set fee and if you are refused and are not accepted to Canada they give you the fee back so you lose nothing..

send me a personal e-mail and i will give you the name of the consultant i used , and i found them via this forum from another member.

Gary
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:30 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gary123
HI

we used a consultant , and i glad we did the london office added up my education points wrong, and we where declined. It was the consultant that pointed me in the right direction in what information i needed, they did the leg work and guess what i have been accepted , and did my medicals on the 31st January.

The one i used, has a set fee and if you are refused and are not accepted to Canada they give you the fee back so you lose nothing..

send me a personal e-mail and i will give you the name of the consultant i used , and i found them via this forum from another member.

Gary

Well that sounds more than reasonable and reassuring to here. I guess if you were looking around for a service, hearing that would make you feel confidence in them working on your behalf.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well that sounds more than reasonable and reassuring to here. I guess if you were looking around for a service, hearing that would make you feel confidence in them working on your behalf.
It is always reassuring to get a personal recommendation, but (just putting my ultra distrustful hat on) how many people have managed to get a refund from their immigration lawyer / consultant if they were rejected?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

We used Shadi Norman, got over very quickly on Temporary work permits in December 2006 went through PNP have just submitted our passports for PR.

I found Shadi helpful and true to her word, but, your the one that has to get everything up together and fill the forms in so it's just as much work. We probably still would do it the same way as having that person to check everything did give us piece of mind.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Andrew - I've just suggested to a friend that they look you up, and consider your services, so I'm not totally anti immigration lawyers / consultants!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

I have to say Shadi Norman did all our pnp and immigration and was great we had no problems at all and I am really surprized that you have found her so disappointing, we also have a friend who also came through shadi and felt the same. We felt she provided very good value for money and worked hard for us. We found are job by going on line and looking through the yellow pages we then emailed or faxed our resumes to all the companies listed we had 3 job offers with in a day. Companies were pre-pared to employ us because she did our paper work and theirs.

By the way I live in Kelowna BC.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:11 am
Just Joined

The Robinsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NewCanadian
And why you are so persistent in telling people who want to hire representative that they don't need one? It is their choice, not yours. Do you really want to them to blame you if they fail doing it on their own? Or do you have some magic powers to guarantee that they will succeed without help?

You can suggest who to hire and who not to hire - your persistence in trying to change people's minds is at least weird, if not suspicious. It for sure doesn't answer the question OP asked.

Jon & Connie - I give my vote for Andrew Miller if you look for suggestions. You may send me a PM if you want to ask more about Andrew.
thanks for the message, we have contacted Andrew to see if he can help us..
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chazcanning

Hi Jon & Connie We used Shadi and had no problems at all . She was very helpfull and was in contact with us via phone & e-maill the whole way through our application ( passports submitted for PR visa's will collect in 2 weeks) . When we where looking for help i had also called Rudolf Kischer I also throught he was expensive . I never found this site till well after we had started our Application . good luck chaz
cheers chaz..
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Sorry, not meaning to be personal but it's just that most people on hear do it themselves. We have used a consultant but if I had found this site before I paid I wouldn't have done.
why do you need a driving instructor when you could teach your self. why get a divorce lawyer when you could represent yourself.. I guess we trust these people to do an honest and better job than we could do ourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.