Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Good advice from immigration consultant?

Wikiposts

Good advice from immigration consultant?

Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

pink_daisy is on a distinguished road
Default Good advice from immigration consultant?

Hi there,

My partner and I applied for PR in September through the Buffalo office. At the time we were both working in Canada with BUNAC WPs. Then when the BUNAC was due to expire we applied for work permits and my partner got one whereas mine was rejected.

We went to get some advice from an immigration consultant and are now considering if we will continue to use them. I thought it would be good to post here the advice they gave in the hope someone with experience in this area can tell me if it's good advice!

This is what the immigration consultant said:
- In the short term I should apply for an open work permit as a common law partner, and that this can be done from Canada even though my current status is just as a visitor (we went to UK before BUNAC visas expired and I re-entered Canada as a visitor).
- Regarding the PR application she says there is a chance it may get returned as although we had a WP at the time of application the BUNAC WP doesn't count as it's a working holiday visa. But after looking at the CIC website again my partners job is on 'the list' so won't that be sufficient?

Ahh there is so much to work out, I want to make sure we get good advice! Also does anyone have experience of applying to the Buffalo office? We did this as the CIC website says the processing times are quicker, but all the posts on here seem to be about applying through London...I hope we didn't do the wrong thing...

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received!!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good advice from immigration consultant?

good for you for leaving and re-entering, at least you're not there illigally!
you should be able to get an open work permit with your spouse's
As to PR, I can't help you there.

what do you do?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pink_daisy
Hi there,

My partner and I applied for PR in September through the Buffalo office. At the time we were both working in Canada with BUNAC WPs. Then when the BUNAC was due to expire we applied for work permits and my partner got one whereas mine was rejected.

We went to get some advice from an immigration consultant and are now considering if we will continue to use them. I thought it would be good to post here the advice they gave in the hope someone with experience in this area can tell me if it's good advice!

This is what the immigration consultant said:
- In the short term I should apply for an open work permit as a common law partner, and that this can be done from Canada even though my current status is just as a visitor (we went to UK before BUNAC visas expired and I re-entered Canada as a visitor).
- Regarding the PR application she says there is a chance it may get returned as although we had a WP at the time of application the BUNAC WP doesn't count as it's a working holiday visa. But after looking at the CIC website again my partners job is on 'the list' so won't that be sufficient?

Ahh there is so much to work out, I want to make sure we get good advice! Also does anyone have experience of applying to the Buffalo office? We did this as the CIC website says the processing times are quicker, but all the posts on here seem to be about applying through London...I hope we didn't do the wrong thing...

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received!!!
If your partner managed to get another work permit I presume he had a positive LMO? If so did you apply for PR with arranged employment? If he has a positive LMO all you would need is a letter from his employer stating their intent to employ him permanently and you could update your file. Or if it get's sent back re-submit it with the arranged employment...plus I'm presuming if your partner is also on the list well that's an added bonus.

It really depends under what conditions you applied for PR I'd have thought.

Oh and yes you can apply for an open work permit if your partner has a work permit. As long as it's not another working holiday permit which I presume it isn't given we're told over and over again they can't extend them.

Last edited by lucieg; Jan 13th 2009 at 2:52 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:48 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by lucieg
If your partner managed to get another work permit I presume he had a positive LMO? If so did you apply for PR with arranged employment? If he has a positive LMO all you would need is a letter from his employer stating their intent to employ him permanently and you could update your file. Or if it get's sent back re-submit it with the arranged employment...plus I'm presuming if your partner is also on the list well that's an added bonus.

It really depends under what conditions you applied for PR I'd have thought.

Oh and yes you can apply for an open work permit if your partner has a work permit. As long as it's not another working holiday permit which I presume it isn't given we're told over and over again they can't extend them.
And the partner's work permit must be skilled in NOC 0, A or B. for a spousal work permit.

PMM