Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Gong to Canada on a Temporary Work Permit - some advice please?

Gong to Canada on a Temporary Work Permit - some advice please?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:28 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gong to Canada on a Temporary Work Permit - some advice please?

I have been a member of this site for a few weeks reading all the posts from other people and the very informative replies given. There are queries about goods to follow, what banks to use, mortgages etc etc I am looking specifically for those threads that apply to Temporary Work Permits only but I don't think they have the information that I want. Please bear with me and feel free to shout at me if the info is there.

We will have a 6 month TWP and hope to then apply for SINP. We do not intend to sell our house or take any possessions immediately in case things don't work out, however I keep seeing threads about goods to follow. Do we have to do that when we go to Canada now or can that wait until we apply for SINP? Thanks in anticpation
Old Aug 6th 2007, 2:57 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gong to Canada on a Temporary Work Permit - some advice please?

Here is Canada Border Services Agency's guide for those Entering Canada to Study or Work.

On page 11 of that guide it states:

It is important that you prepare a list (in duplicate) of all the goods you are bringing into Canada, showing their value, make, model, and serial number where applicable.

The guide goes on to say that, when you import your personal goods into Canada, a customs official may issue you with Temporary Admission Permit (Form E29B).

Your goods are admitted into Canada duty free on the understanding that you will be removing them from Canada at a later point.

The guide states that, if your work permit is extended, you should visit a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) office to get your Temporary Admission Permit (Form E29B) extended.

The guide also states that you should contact them if your status changes and you get a permanent residence visa.

You say you won't be bringing anything with you from the UK, but you will. At a minimum you'll be bringing clothes, right? You should make a list of whatever you are taking with you to Canada.

But I'm sorry I don't know what you're supposed to do about the household effects that you'll leave behind in the UK and that you may import to Canada later.

You can phone Border Information Service between 08:00 and 16:00 local time, Monday to Friday (excluding holidays). Their phone numbers are (204) 983-3500 and (506) 636-5064. The 204 number is in Manitoba (North American Central Time), and the 506 number is in New Brunswick (North American Atlantic Time).

There also is a toll free number that is accessible from Canada. It is 1-800-461-9999. I have just tried calling it, but got a pre-recorded message stating that an agent was not available. Today is a public holiday in most Canadian provinces and territories.

But perhaps someone else who has converted from work permit to permanent residence visa will be able to tell you what they did.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:13 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gong to Canada on a Temporary Work Permit - some advice please?

Judy, thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I didn't think the list covered clothes, I now have to decide what Iwe're taking and get down to itemising it all.

With regard to furniture at the moment everything is hypothetical and depends on what type of housing we eventually get as we will rent for a while - the only item that we know for definite we'll be bringing is our dog

Once again thank you for the information.

Lorna