Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Going through EE and might have to quit my job

Going through EE and might have to quit my job

Old May 22nd 2015, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Jones89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going through EE and might have to quit my job

My EE is currently being processed, I went from IEC to positive LMO and I applied under CE. Can someone tell me what will happen if I quit/get fired?

My old boss quit and I got a new one and things are pretty unbearable in the office at the moment, Im not sure how much longer I can bare it.
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through EE and might have to quit my job

Not sure what you mean by 'CE'? If it's CEC though, then your job has nothing to do with it - you could be back working in the UK in an unskilled job and it would be fine, as long as you've still got the required Canadian experience.

If it's another employment based visa route where your employer has sponsored you though, it could be trickier.
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not sure what you mean by 'CE'? If it's CEC though, then your job has nothing to do with it - you could be back working in the UK in an unskilled job and it would be fine, as long as you've still got the required Canadian experience.

If it's another employment based visa route where your employer has sponsored you though, it could be trickier.

I meant CEC. And not really because if I no longer have a job it also means that I no longer have the job offer - that deducts 600 points from my initial score. I only got ITA because of a high score thanks to positive LMO.
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Tough it out till you do your landing and then become a PR then quit.
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Does your employer have a procedure for dealing with asshats like your new boss?
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by withabix
Does your employer have a procedure for dealing with asshats like your new boss?
Maybe they do, he's one of the more important VPs who is making my life hell, Im considering either leaving or going on stress ralated leave. I might also get fired. Im scared to get HR involved because I dont know how things work here, if that was in UK I'd know how to address it.
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Tough it out till you do your landing and then become a PR then quit.
I'm trying dude, trust me but I've been in this shyt hole for a year and a half and Im on the edge of losing it. I work for a very known company in Toronto and have a good position, my first boss sexually harrassed me for months, I toughed it out cos I wanted LMO and then PR, I danced and drank for a week when he quit, and now I got another one who treats me like his personal slave and constantly criticizes me.
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jones89
Maybe they do, he's one of the more important VPs who is making my life hell, Im considering either leaving or going on stress ralated leave. I might also get fired. Im scared to get HR involved because I dont know how things work here, if that was in UK I'd know how to address it.
Most large companies have their own policies on how to deal with harassment.
This link provides you with Ontarios legislative policy and most other provinces will be similar
Workplace Harassment | Ontario Ministry of Labour
This is the Canadian Human Rights policy
What is harassment? | Canadian Human Rights Commission

A lot of companies do not want a harassment allegation made against them. Do a little bit of research and then contact the HR department or the contact person listed in your companies policy. You might be surprised if you are well prepared and put facts forward and how this violates the policy.