Going over on E-LMO

Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough
Default Going over on E-LMO

Hi There, I have been offered a job with a company in Edmonton, on an E-LMO. I would like to ask a couple of questions.

1, If when i get there i find the job is not for me or the company does not live up to my expectations, Can i find a new job.

2, Can you get PR on a twp. As this is what i am wanting.

I feel i could get a better job than the one that is offered to me, but i am finding it very hard to get interviews. So i thought it would, be better for me to be there and try my luck.

I really do not want to wait any longer, and just want to get there, Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:52 am
Just Joined

reddeermojo will become famous soon enoughreddeermojo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Going over on E-LMO

Hi, we came over on an LMO and a temp work permit. After 6 months we applied for PNP. Your employer has to apply to the Alberta government to sponser you for PR. We are now a PR.

This took 18 months from landing to becoming a PR.

Until you are a PR you will have to work for the employer who gave you the LMO. Once you are a PR you can work or live anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Edmonton is a great city, a large city, so i hope you are used to big cities.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

You can change jobs ( I have a friend in Edmonton who did this), BUT the new company must apply for a LMO and if successful, only then could you resign from the original job.

If you resigned earlier, I believe you would have to leave the country and wait for the LMO before returning.

Of course the work permit would no longer be valid, so you would have to leave the country and return (nearest border crossing) whilst changing jobs (after new LMO is received).
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:13 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
You can change jobs ( I have a friend in Edmonton who did this), BUT the new company must apply for a LMO and if successful, only then could you resign from the original job.

If you resigned earlier, I believe you would have to leave the country and wait for the LMO before returning.

Of course the work permit would no longer be valid, so you would have to leave the country and return (nearest border crossing) whilst changing jobs (after new LMO is received).
If you resign from a job then your TWP becomes a Visitors Visa until the end date of the TWP and then you have to leave, unless of course you have found other work in the meantime.

My OH resigned in December (in BC) and found a new job in February (in NS) long before his TWP ran out in April 08.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your answers, I just want to know what my options are. I have been offered a job , but its not a good one, I could do alot better but i feel i need to be their to go to the interview.