Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Going from contractor to permenent job??

Going from contractor to permenent job??

Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:19 am
Just Joined

annoroko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going from contractor to permenent job??

Hi This is my story I hope it’s not too long but thought you should know the whole story so I can get the most advice.

My Husband has received a contract job offer in Ontario, so cannot gain PR and will go over on a TWP. The company still has do a LMO and then send off for the TWP. But the have already done most of the leg work for the LMO so it shouldn’t take too long. Once he has finished his first contract and that he fits in he should get a permanent staff job. We are not sure at the stage how the long the first contract could be 1, 3 or 6 months. My husband doesn’t want me and the kids to all come out with him until he has a permanent job uncase is doesn't work out.
I have thought about us all moving out there for a long 3 month holiday if the first contract was for 3 months. That way we will know that we want to move out there. After the holiday then me and the kids would come back sort every thing out and move back out after we have our PR. My husband is happy with this.

What I really would like to find out is how long the process would take after he has a permanent job and me and the kids immigrating there.

If the contract is for say 3 months then it could be another 3 months or so after that before we can move out there and I would miss him a lot if we were apart for that long and the plane journey’s back and for to see him would eat into the wages.

Again sorry for the long message but just wanted to clarify all that we are thinking and planning.

Any advice will be helpful.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:58 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going from contractor to permenent job??

Originally Posted by annoroko
Hi This is my story I hope it’s not too long but thought you should know the whole story so I can get the most advice.

My Husband has received a contract job offer in Ontario, so cannot gain PR and will go over on a TWP. The company still has do a LMO and then send off for the TWP. But the have already done most of the leg work for the LMO so it shouldn’t take too long. Once he has finished his first contract and that he fits in he should get a permanent staff job. We are not sure at the stage how the long the first contract could be 1, 3 or 6 months. My husband doesn’t want me and the kids to all come out with him until he has a permanent job uncase is doesn't work out.
I have thought about us all moving out there for a long 3 month holiday if the first contract was for 3 months. That way we will know that we want to move out there. After the holiday then me and the kids would come back sort every thing out and move back out after we have our PR. My husband is happy with this.

What I really would like to find out is how long the process would take after he has a permanent job and me and the kids immigrating there.

If the contract is for say 3 months then it could be another 3 months or so after that before we can move out there and I would miss him a lot if we were apart for that long and the plane journey’s back and for to see him would eat into the wages.

Again sorry for the long message but just wanted to clarify all that we are thinking and planning.

Any advice will be helpful.
How long is the LMO valid for (usually it's for the length of contract)? Your husbands TWP will only be valid for that length of time. I would check up on that...

What skill category is the job in? Are you planning to work also?

You can move over as soon as he has TWP. If his job is in NOC skill category O A or B, then you can also get a spousal open TWP allowing you to work for any employer. You'll also need study permits for the kids - I'm not sure how that works as I don't have kids, others should be able to help.

Sounds like you want to wait until it's more permanent. Well as soon as he has the permanent offer and updated TWP you could move over at that point. Once he has all that, and meets all the other requirements for getting PR visa, the process then takes 6 mths to a year.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

annoroko is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply - not sure how long the LMO is valid for as we don't know how long the contract is for as yet just waiting to hear.

Not sure what the skill category is either. Sorry not much help.

I won't be working as i'm staying at home bringing up the kids and will stay that way until both kids are at school. We have 2 young kids a Little boy 4 and is in pre-school and won't start school until a year September and a little girl 2 so I don't need to worry about her yet.

I don't want to wait until it's more permanent if I can help it, i'd move tomorrow if we could. But i'm the optimist in the family and my OH is the pessimist. I think I would miss him too much if I had to wait 6 months to a year before living with him in canada.

I think i'm going to have to twist my OH arms and just take the risk of us all moving across at the same time on a TWP as a contractor. The kids are not in full time education so if it doesn't work out then they are not missing out.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:27 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annoroko
Not sure what the skill category is either.
What kind of work does your husband do?
x