Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Going to Canada on TWP in 2 weeks - Please help

Going to Canada on TWP in 2 weeks - Please help

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice
Default Going to Canada on TWP in 2 weeks - Please help

Hi guys,

I need a bit of advice. I'm heading to Ontario in 2 weeks on a Bunac 1 year work permit to be with my partner. I have some questions and I'd love some of you more experienced folk to help me figure them out.

1. Will customs expect me to have a return flight booked? I can't find anything that far ahead. Can I just enter on a one way flight?

2. I want to be honest and say my plan is to stay after the year is up and look into other options for extending my time, such as applying for PR if I like it there. Is this going to cause any problems at customs?

3. Do you have any recommendations for medical insurance?

4. I have left my rented apartment because it would be crazt to keep it and lose all the money while living abroad. Is having no home back in the UK going to cause a problem with customs?

Thanks a lot guys!

I've been waiting for this moment since I got my letter of introduction in March and it's finnaly happening but I don't want to make any mistakes.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to Canada on TWP in 2 weeks - Please help

Originally Posted by skytek
Hi guys,

I need a bit of advice. I'm heading to Ontario in 2 weeks on a Bunac 1 year work permit to be with my partner. I have some questions and I'd love some of you more experienced folk to help me figure them out.

1. Will customs expect me to have a return flight booked? I can't find anything that far ahead. Can I just enter on a one way flight?

2. I want to be honest and say my plan is to stay after the year is up and look into other options for extending my time, such as applying for PR if I like it there. Is this going to cause any problems at customs?

3. Do you have any recommendations for medical insurance?

4. I have left my rented apartment because it would be crazt to keep it and lose all the money while living abroad. Is having no home back in the UK going to cause a problem with customs?

Thanks a lot guys!

I've been waiting for this moment since I got my letter of introduction in March and it's finnaly happening but I don't want to make any mistakes.
Hi Skytek

my partner and I came over on a BUNAC visa 2 yrs ago

1, we had a return flight booked as we were told by BUNAC at the time we needed one - we were never asked for proof of that at the immigration desk tho and ended up having to cancel the flight as we stayed on.

2, i'm not sure the immigration officer will ask your future plans, ours didn't I would be honest if asked but I wouldn't offer up that info.

3, we used ACE travel insurance for the whole 12 months and it was very reasonable (around 180 GBP each)

4, we left our rented accommodation and lived with my parents for the months leading up to us leaving so I pretty sure this wont be a problem.

From my experience if you are looking into extending your stay, start planning that ASAP to save huge amounts of stress in the final months of your bunac visa. Good luck !
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm trying ACE but their website says the max length for a single trip is 120 days. How were you able to book a flight a year in advance? I can't find anything that goes further ahead than 10 months.

Would you mind sharing how the customs experience went and what they asked you?

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skytek
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm trying ACE but their website says the max length for a single trip is 120 days. How were you able to book a flight a year in advance? I can't find anything that goes further ahead than 10 months.

Would you mind sharing how the customs experience went and what they asked you?

Thanks for your help!
No problem.

Hmmm just cheked my old policy: You have purchased Standard cover for a Worldwide journey lasting up to 11 Months.
So maybe they have changed their policy?. Check your provinces health care as we were able to register for MSP medical after 3 months so this covered us also.

We booked our flights through a freind that works for BA and i have a feeling we were only able to do 11 months in advance, we booked it thinking we could always cancel or change the return flight if need be. We managed to get a staff discount rate so booking a return didn't work out too expensive compared to doing it oursleves.

Landing was so straightforward. Quite daunting watching everyone else go up and seem to take them ages and mountains of paperwork and numerous questions. We walked up with our BUNAC letter and passport she took them asked us to take a seat 5 mins later he called us back up asked where we were planning to stay - advised we had booked short term accomodation and that was it. Didn't ask for proof of return flight or funds we had brought with us.
I think going through BUNAC helped a lot, they seemed to have all the info they needed etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If entering on the 1 year TWP most BSO's are not too concerned about a return ticket as they assume a ticket will be booked closer to the date that the TWP expires and that the TWP holder will leave Canada.
Extensions are sent to CPC Vegreville who determine if eligible to extend
i.e Programme A or Programme B as found in appendix E Foreign Workers Manual
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm in a slightly similar situation so decided against making a separate thread.

I will be leaving for Canada in a few days on a TWP. I've lived in Canada since 2005, but this is the first time I will be entering on a TWP. I will be carrying my passport (obviously), my letter of introduction and my offer of employment.

1. Do I need to carry anything else?

2. I land in Toronto, and have a connecting flight to Regina 4.5 hours later. I'm guessing this is enough time to go through all the procedures?

3. On what basis do they decide whether to issue the work permit for a year or longer?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scuudz
1. Do I need to carry anything else?
Don't know if you've already read it, but this may be useful..............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 4th 2011 at 9:04 pm.