Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Going to Canada as a tourist whilst waiting for PR

Going to Canada as a tourist whilst waiting for PR

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Ashley_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to Canada as a tourist whilst waiting for PR

Hi,

So me and my husband have been waiting for our PR for 5 months now. We will hit 6 on July 9th which will be the 'deadline' they set to process PR applications. We haven't heard anything really since March when they asked us to submit my husbands FBi check. We are starting to get anxious now waiting in the U.K. and was wondering are we able to travel to Canada as tourists whilst waiting for our application to finish processing, without having to come back to the U.K. to finish up etc

I know with landing we can just cross from the USA into Canada to activate that.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Canada as a tourist whilst waiting for PR

I suggest you read this link and then you decide if its worth the risk

Visiting Canada under Dual Intent / Intending Inland sponsorship - please read

Yes many have done it but nobody can say what would happen at a POE.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I suggest you read this link and then you decide if its worth the risk

Visiting Canada under Dual Intent / Intending Inland sponsorship - please read

Yes many have done it but nobody can say what would happen at a POE.
We feel pretty confident, we are using a lawyer - this question is probably best for them.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that the 6 months isn’t a ‘deadline’, it’s only the average processing time for 80% of applications.

Unlike other PR apps such as spousal sponsorship, economic classes aren’t ‘dual intent’, so it would be very risky IMO. If the CBSA officer (which could possibly be Former Lancastrian!) thinks you’re trying to stay in Canada without a visa and aren’t a genuine visitor (which is after all, correct), then you’re at risk of being refused entry. Would you have ties to the UK to show if asked?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Remember that the 6 months isn’t a ‘deadline’, it’s only the average processing time for 80% of applications.

Unlike other PR apps such as spousal sponsorship, economic classes aren’t ‘dual intent’, so it would be very risky IMO. If the CBSA officer (which could possibly be Former Lancastrian!) thinks you’re trying to stay in Canada without a visa and aren’t a genuine visitor (which is after all, correct), then you’re at risk of being refused entry. Would you have ties to the UK to show if asked?
We would have a return flight back to the U.K. - As it stands we are still both employed, but my husbands job comes to an end this month. I may move with mine depending if they will let me. But in terms of other ties, they would be hard to prove as we have moved from our rented property (the lease was up and rolling wasn't an option) my husband has handed his notice at work (it's was a 3 month period) due to end at the end of June.

We are both from the U.K. and have lived here our whole lives, and the only trouble either of us has been in was my husband had a drink driving conviction when he was 22 (18 years ago), but they have all the information. It's literally the background check is the last thing we are waiting for by the looks of it.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:34 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashley_03
We would have a return flight back to the U.K. - As it stands we are still both employed, but my husbands job comes to an end this month. I may move with mine depending if they will let me. But in terms of other ties, they would be hard to prove as we have moved from our rented property (the lease was up and rolling wasn't an option) my husband has handed his notice at work (it's was a 3 month period) due to end at the end of June.

We are both from the U.K. and have lived here our whole lives, and the only trouble either of us has been in was my husband had a drink driving conviction when he was 22 (18 years ago), but they have all the information. It's literally the background check is the last thing we are waiting for by the looks of it.
I think you would be hard pressed to prove ties to the UK for both of you under these circumstances, a return flight, being from the UK and having taken leave from 1 job aren't proof of ties, unfortunately.

Please take note of Former Lancastrians post - he understands the laws and how they are interpreted, as christmasoompa hinted!

You would not be bona fide visitors with an intent to stay 2-4 weeks and then leave - your intention would be to come and stay permanently. As such, you could be refused entry.

Until such time as you have PR approval and can do a landing trip, I agree that you are risking your potential future for the sake of waiting a couple of months. Is it worth it?

Now, that doesn't mean you couldn't come for a week or three on a reccie trip, with careful planning, sufficient funds, hotel bookings (or letters confirming the dates you are staying with friends or relatives), a specific plan of action for the trip - such as visit Vancouver / Squamish / Kelowna to look at housing / jobs' or whatever, and proof of sufficient ties to the UK and return flights home. Basically you need to prove that you intend to leave at the end of the trip .. and need to get back to work, to your home, to your family / kids / pets / college course or whatever!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 4th 2018 at 2:38 am.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Assume the OP will not be arriving with all their worldly possessions in multiple suitcases for a visit then which could be cause for additional scrutiny given genuine visitors mostly travel with just enough luggage for their stay. As for using a lawyer it is not the lawyer who is applying for PR or coming as a visitor they will not be there at the POE. As for a 'deadline' of 6 months hopefully the OP has a plan should this worst case extend to 8,9,12 months which is why recommendation always will be wait in home country other than maybe a short looksee trip in the interim.

Last edited by PB65; Jun 4th 2018 at 6:28 am.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies here, I think we are likely just to hold off on going. I want this more than anything, and if this has the potential to jeopardise the situation then it's not worth it. Hopefully we hear back really soon.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashley_03
Thanks for all the replies here, I think we are likely just to hold off on going. I want this more than anything, and if this has the potential to jeopardise the situation then it's not worth it. Hopefully we hear back really soon.
Best of luck and hope your application is finalised soon - with the COPR being sent quickly.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Colin_N is an unknown quantity at this point

This is interesting... I was intending to go to Whistler for a month or so in August for a quick recon trip. My PR application has been in IP2 since mid-May, and was very quick at progressing to that stage (I only applied on the 28th April), so with a bit of luck I could have COPR by August anyway.

I thought I'd be ok to visit Canada again as I do have an IEC visa which expires in November. (I left Canada in June 2017)

What would you say I should do?

I own my home in the UK, so would that be a good proof of ties?

Last edited by Colin_N; Jun 7th 2018 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin_N
This is interesting... I was intending to go to Whistler for a month or so in August for a quick recon trip. My PR application has been in IP2 since mid-May, and was very quick at progressing to that stage (I only applied on the 28th April), so with a bit of luck I could have COPR by August anyway.

I thought I'd be ok to visit Canada again as I do have an IEC visa which expires in November. (I left Canada in June 2017)

What would you say I should do?

I own my home in the UK, so would that be a good proof of ties?
You still have a valid work permit via the IEC to enter on so shouldn't be a problem providing you leave by the permit expiry date.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Colin_N is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You still have a valid work permit via the IEC to enter on so shouldn't be a problem providing you leave by the permit expiry date.
OK thanks, good to know!
Old Jun 11th 2018, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

We came to Canada for a number of reccie trips during our application for PR. One was a very short time prior to receiving PR (in fact my wife called me from England to inform me that we had received our requests for passports) and, at that time, we had sold our house in the UK too.

I didn't have a hotel booked when I arrived and, as we were looking to buy a house on that trip, I had significant funds in a Canadian bank account.

If you have return tickets (they will likely be cheaper than one way tickets anyway) I believe it would be a ballsy CBSA person that would refuse you entry.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 12:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We came to Canada for a number of reccie trips during our application for PR. One was a very short time prior to receiving PR (in fact my wife called me from England to inform me that we had received our requests for passports) and, at that time, we had sold our house in the UK too.

I didn't have a hotel booked when I arrived and, as we were looking to buy a house on that trip, I had significant funds in a Canadian bank account.

If you have return tickets (they will likely be cheaper than one way tickets anyway) I believe it would be a ballsy CBSA person that would refuse you entry.

With respect, times have changed since you gained PR and they have clamped right down. Perhaps read Visiting Canada under Dual Intent / Intending Inland sponsorship - please read - it's not an isolated case.

For member Colin_N it wouldn't apply anyway as he still has a valid work permit.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With respect, times have changed since you gained PR and they have clamped right down. Perhaps read Visiting Canada under Dual Intent / Intending Inland sponsorship - please read - it's not an isolated case.

For member Colin_N it wouldn't apply anyway as he still has a valid work permit.
I had inferred from the OP's original statement that they were both waiting for PR that spousal sponsorship was not an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.