Going before Pr granted

Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

ben1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going before Pr granted

Some people from the UK seem to go to Canada before the pr is granted as you can visit for six months.

Some of these people get study permits for their kids so they can be educated.

I am considering this as my business is not in Canada so I would not be working there.

What happens at the border when you turn up with your kids and a few study permits? How do you prove you are not attempting to move permanently to Canada before you are allowed to?

You have to declare your pr application so I don't see how this can marry up.....

Anyone who has done this - what did you say to the immigration offcials at the border?

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:50 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going before Pr granted

There is something called 'dual intent' where you have disclosed your PR application upfront. You have to acknowledge that this may be unsuccessful and that you understand you will have to leave Canada once study permit expires, and agree to this.

Not sure how this works in practice but I guess that being upfront at point of entry/application would be enough ?

Experts may clarify this better than a mere mortal !!

Rich.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Well I am happy to agree to this. (to leave Canada if I don't get PR)

But are you actually allowed dual intent? Can I say at the border, 'look I want to educate my kids here for six months whilst I wait for my PR and the start of the school year is September'. or should I say I am visiting temporarily and need to school the kids whilst I am here.

Its pretty damn obvious what I am doing and I know other people do it. Money isn't a problem since I sold one of my businesses. But I am getting nervous about it all.......
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Also would it be a good idea to turn up to immigration with return tickets dated six months later - showing I can leave?

Thanks guys
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:07 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ben1970
Well I am happy to agree to this. (to leave Canada if I don't get PR)

But are you actually allowed dual intent? Can I say at the border, 'look I want to educate my kids here for six months whilst I wait for my PR and the start of the school year is September'. or should I say I am visiting temporarily and need to school the kids whilst I am here.

Its pretty damn obvious what I am doing and I know other people do it. Money isn't a problem since I sold one of my businesses. But I am getting nervous about it all.......
Having the capital is a good and bad thing....shows that you can afford to gome and go, pay rental, ship goods etc, and pay living costs, but alos maybe reveals your hand ?

From what I have heard most dual intents are no problem, but experts will advise better. Surely, you would be 'spending time researching Canada and ensuring that PR is the right long term option"
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

From what I have heard most dual intents are no problem, but experts will advise better. Surely, you would be 'spending time researching Canada and ensuring that PR is the right long term option" [/QUOTE]

This is what I was going to say to them. Kind of like' I want to make sure Canada is the right place (like I don't know!!!) ' but was worried that this is insulting or whatever......
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:21 pm
Lotus-eater

This is what I was going to say to them. Kind of like' I want to make sure Canada is the right place (like I don't know!!!) ' but was worried that this is insulting or whatever......[/QUOTE]

I would say insulting, man, you have the money to support the lifestyle and enough to 'escape' with. They should be impressed that you're prepared to take time out to invest in the longer term future and be straight up about dual intent.

Oh, and of course, network and open up some job opportunities at the same time !

Rich.