Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Going back to UK....Goods & PR application Question

Going back to UK....Goods & PR application Question

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:01 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going back to UK....Goods & PR application Question

Well, after much careful consideration and a visit to the walk in immigration department on 200 Catherine St Ottawa (which for everyones info, is open daily 9am to 12am)

They have said that a visitors visa can have an adverse affect on our PR application so we should consider it carefully.
We really want to stay, but without another job, we can't - so that's decision made, we are getting flight quotes and talking about what we're gonna do with the car!

So, after a few days that have me eying the scotch bottle longingly, can I ask a couple more questions of you wonderful people......

- Can we leave our PR going? I have heard a rumour that you can leave it going with the visa office, just advising of a change of address!? Does that still apply if that change is in UK!? or can we request to move it to London?
- Secondly, can we leave any of our things here? We have brought so much electrical things and I'm wondering how I could handle this. I really don't want to pay to ship Canadian stuff back!? Can we leave anything here? What happens if the PR goes wrong, can we return to sort that stuff later?

Thanks peeps, I'm still shell shocked with all this, and am trying to sort things out best i can.....
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:19 am
JT1
Account Closed

JT1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going back to UK....Goods & PR application Question

Hi - I'm not much help here, I just wanted to offer you my sympathies - I know how it feels to be so unsettled in a different land. Not sure how this board works on advertising stuff for sale, but if it's allowed, maybe you could advertise to folk who are just moving out, especially the car? If the house is yours, maybe you could rent it out and kill 2 birds with one stone - get some income and not have to sell off everything in the hope that one day you'll be back.

I truly hope things work out for you, stay strong
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:32 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
- Secondly, can we leave any of our things here? We have brought so much electrical things and I'm wondering how I could handle this. I really don't want to pay to ship Canadian stuff back!? Can we leave anything here? What happens if the PR goes wrong, can we return to sort that stuff later?
I can't help with the immigration questions. Hopefully someone can soon.

Yes, you can leave your stuff here. Find a public storage warehouse (why did my spell check try to change that to whorehouse?), rent a locker, and pile it in. If the PR goes wrong you can always return as a visitor and ship it back.

Another option, which might be more expensive is to ask an international shipper to store it for you. In the worst case you could arrange for them to ship it back to the UK with a phone call.

One thing occurs to me and this is that the CRA may consider you as tax resident in Canada after you get back to the UK as you still have possessions here and this suggests you might come back. Just something to think about.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:56 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JT1
Hi - I'm not much help here, I just wanted to offer you my sympathies - I know how it feels to be so unsettled in a different land. Not sure how this board works on advertising stuff for sale, but if it's allowed, maybe you could advertise to folk who are just moving out, especially the car? If the house is yours, maybe you could rent it out and kill 2 birds with one stone - get some income and not have to sell off everything in the hope that one day you'll be back.

I truly hope things work out for you, stay strong
Bless you - thanks for the thoughts....good luck to you and yours
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:00 am
Eager Beaver!

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I can't help with the immigration questions. Hopefully someone can soon.

Yes, you can leave your stuff here. Find a public storage warehouse (why did my spell check try to change that to whorehouse?), rent a locker, and pile it in. If the PR goes wrong you can always return as a visitor and ship it back.

Another option, which might be more expensive is to ask an international shipper to store it for you. In the worst case you could arrange for them to ship it back to the UK with a phone call.

One thing occurs to me and this is that the CRA may consider you as tax resident in Canada after you get back to the UK as you still have possessions here and this suggests you might come back. Just something to think about.
Blinking spellchecker!
Thanks for the reply JonboyE. I thought you had to take everything back, I thought there would be loads of complications with leaving things here - but its certainly worth looking into for us. On the tax side, we have just finished (what we thought) would be the last UK tax return for Apr 2010, so we did do our first return here in canada in Jan 2010. who do we have to tell what to or do they magically know.....?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like my idea of my worst nightmare, how upsetting that it has come to this

I hope everything works out and you can return to Canada with nice shiny PR visas in your passports. It would be a terrible shame to have come so far and have to give up.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you manage to get your PR so you can go back. From your postings it seems that a one year TWP/LMO is too short a timeframe in which to obtain a PR then. (I am keeping my fingers crossed that your OH will keep looking and find another job in time so you can change your mind.) Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:08 pm
Eager Beaver!

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Sounds like my idea of my worst nightmare, how upsetting that it has come to this

I hope everything works out and you can return to Canada with nice shiny PR visas in your passports. It would be a terrible shame to have come so far and have to give up.
Thanks CanadaJimmy x - yep, we are just going to go back, make some money and wait for the PR.......fingers crossed eh? Life is full of twists and turns, I count myself incredibly lucky to have a hubby who is really supportive and we are stronger for our experiences.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:12 pm
Eager Beaver!

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
I hope you manage to get your PR so you can go back. From your postings it seems that a one year TWP/LMO is too short a timeframe in which to obtain a PR then. (I am keeping my fingers crossed that your OH will keep looking and find another job in time so you can change your mind.) Good luck.
Hi Boris - yeh, thanks. Me too! We knew that 1 year was not going to be enough on the WP to get the PR but hoped it would be simple enough to get an extension to allow us the time needed. We are testiment to the fact that it does not always work out that way. We are still looking for another job, but do not hold out hope as we have to make decisions now to arrange it all. More than anything, we just need to make a final decision and stick to it, the stress of this situation has been incredible and we just need to come to terms with everything now. Thanks everso for your comments.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

B91212 is on a distinguished road

Hi. For what it's worth just wanted to add my sympathies to you and your family. You have been dealt a very crappy hand and I really admire how you are handling it. I can only hope that I could have handled something like this the in same way.

I have everything crossed for you that your PR is granted (and in a quick and timely manner).

Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

neilottawa is an unknown quantity at this point

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully this is just a temp hurdle and I hope things work out in the end.

I do have a quick question though: why did they say a temp visitors visa may have a negative impact on you PR application?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:55 pm
Eager Beaver!

Originally Posted by B91212
Hi. For what it's worth just wanted to add my sympathies to you and your family. You have been dealt a very crappy hand and I really admire how you are handling it. I can only hope that I could have handled something like this the in same way.

I have everything crossed for you that your PR is granted (and in a quick and timely manner).

Good luck
Bless your heart - you are so kind thank you! It has been so hard, that's for sure but everyone here is so sweet - I hope that I'll be back on here sometime very soon with good news that is PR shaped! In the meantime, I'll be logging on to see if we can offer help and advice to others in some way. I hope our experience will help others make informed decisions so they know that with all the hope in the world, if your life plan lies in someone elses hands, there is little you can do! masses of luck to you and yours
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:03 pm
Eager Beaver!

Originally Posted by neilottawa
So sorry to hear this. Hopefully this is just a temp hurdle and I hope things work out in the end.

I do have a quick question though: why did they say a temp visitors visa may have a negative impact on you PR application?
Well, I asked that very question and the chap said that because we came here on a WP, we then applied for PR from within Canada with arranged employment, to change our status after only a year would be frowned upon, because you are doing none of what you came to do. You aren't contributing to taxes or the country. I take his statement with a bit of a pinch of salt to be honest - for us, the decision was based on a number of things including how long we would be able to "worst case scenario" afford to live in our house and cover bills etc before we HAD to leave. It just seemed too much of a gamble for us. No wages and a negative LMO. At least if we go back to UK, we can earn, make back the money we've spent and wait for PR. Worst case scenario, PR gets refused and we are in UK for good but at least no one else can mess us and our lives about!