Wikiposts

Going back to Canada

Old Dec 5th 2004, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

cello is on a distinguished road
Default Going back to Canada

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the UK for the past 19 years.
I'm married to a Brit and we are in the process of getting all our papers in order to send off to Mississauga.
Any ideas on how long the process takes through the London office.
I have been told 6 to 8 months is usual.

Can't wait to get back to Vancouver!!
Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to Canada

Hi Cello

Originally Posted by cello
I'm married to a Brit and we are in the process of getting all our papers in order to send off to Mississauga.

Thats about right.

PMM
Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just done exactly that , we submitted everything to Mississauga at the end of May and got the passport request at the end of November. We're flying back to Vancouver on Wednesday, can't wait to get there.

Judging by other posts on this forum, processing times through London seem to be about 4-6 months at the mo. Ours took a little longer as we read the guidance notes and for some reason didn't think we needed to submit a police check with the original application, so our application was delayed when CHC London wrote to us asking for a police check, which we then had to apply for. So make sure you supply that police check with your application.

Good luck with it all, this forum has been a great source of help and reassurance...
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Wicked, see you in Vancouver sometime!!
I would be there now, but the wife ain't a canuk, can't have everything!

And thanks for the info, it will make her feel much better!!

Originally Posted by Jonny
We've just done exactly that , we submitted everything to Mississauga at the end of May and got the passport request at the end of November. We're flying back to Vancouver on Wednesday, can't wait to get there.

Judging by other posts on this forum, processing times through London seem to be about 4-6 months at the mo. Ours took a little longer as we read the guidance notes and for some reason didn't think we needed to submit a police check with the original application, so our application was delayed when CHC London wrote to us asking for a police check, which we then had to apply for. So make sure you supply that police check with your application.

Good luck with it all, this forum has been a great source of help and reassurance...
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:51 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I applied as the husband of a Canadian. My papers were received in Mississauga on 27th April, and I got my passport request on 18th September. If the case is straightforward, you should get a final decision within 6 months, as Jonny indicated.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

More good news, I like it!!
Should be pretty straight forward!!

Originally Posted by Rhodes
I applied as the husband of a Canadian. My papers were received in Mississauga on 27th April, and I got my passport request on 18th September. If the case is straightforward, you should get a final decision within 6 months, as Jonny indicated.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 4:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you've not got British citizenship you should strongly consider applying for naturalisation before you leave the UK (the option will be closed later on).
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk has information.

You don't lose Canadian citizenship by becoming British as well.

Jeremy
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:40 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you've not got British citizenship you should strongly consider applying for naturalisation before you leave the UK (the option will be closed later on).
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk has information.

You don't lose Canadian citizenship by becoming British as well.

Jeremy
And that will allow you to work in the entire EU in the future
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I've been a Brit Cit for a long time now, all except the accent!! knowwotimean
Originally Posted by mhhp
And that will allow you to work in the entire EU in the future