Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

glossy and not matte for PPR photos help!!

glossy and not matte for PPR photos help!!

Old Apr 12th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default glossy and not matte for PPR photos help!!

as ever I am preparing for the last hurdle and have got more pics done

as we need a shed load for a possible self employed TWP

the cost of pics in canada is eye watering by the way our bill for pics needed for immigration has now gone over $400 and there are only two of us

anyway i digress we have just had another set done enough for TWP and for passport request but horror of horrors and hope someone can help please!!

the pics meet the right spec for passport requests for size chin to crown overall size white backgound etc but they are slightly glossy and not matte

has anyone fallen at the last fence and had the pics rejected if they are glossy and not matte at the passport request stage???

any advice much appreciated dont want to spend another $80 if it can be avoided but also cant cope with anymore delays

good luck all
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: glossy and not matte for PPR photos help!!

Originally Posted by chumley
as ever I am preparing for the last hurdle and have got more pics done

as we need a shed load for a possible self employed TWP

the cost of pics in canada is eye watering by the way our bill for pics needed for immigration has now gone over $400 and there are only two of us

anyway i digress we have just had another set done enough for TWP and for passport request but horror of horrors and hope someone can help please!!

the pics meet the right spec for passport requests for size chin to crown overall size white backgound etc but they are slightly glossy and not matte

has anyone fallen at the last fence and had the pics rejected if they are glossy and not matte at the passport request stage???

any advice much appreciated dont want to spend another $80 if it can be avoided but also cant cope with anymore delays

good luck all
I found this old post (2006) that says it does not have to be matte:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364115 (post #3)

I sent my application to Buffalo a few days ago and I included photos that were printed from a Kodak machine in Wal-Mart and not sure if they are glossy or matte (don't know the differences). Anyway, I am not sure if they will accept my photos. I also don't have white background. They have light-colored background (taken at home by my digital camera).

I have talked to a few guys on another forum and they told me that their photos were accepted by CIC Buffalo without having white background, but nobody seems to talk about matte and glossy.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Chumley,

Well I was doing a similar search on here as we are just getting our PPR photos done. It seems to me that there is a broad range of what people have sent in but I have not read about any rejections of photos so my take on it is that as long as the sizes are right and the background is white then it doesn't matter how glossy or matt the finish is.
The size is the same as UK passport size which helps but there has been a change in the last month in that UK Passport photos need to have a grey background and not a white one as previously..The crown to chin measurement is quite a wide spec anyway so it is more than likely that a UK passport photo (but with a white background) would fit the bill.
When we first applied back in August 2006 we took our own digital photos and tweaked them to get a very white background and printed them ourselves on matt paper..Our immigration lawyer was very picky about the white background and we had about 5 attempts before they were happy..

Today we went into a local Jessops and they took the pictures and printed them out...it was a nice white background that they used and the finish wasn't glossy but wasn't matt..a sort of inbetween finish..
These are what we are going with when we post of our passports and photos on Wednesday so fingers crossed they will be OK.

Not sure if these ramblings were of any use to you but I think the key is the white background more than the finish so that the contrast is good...
Cheers
Tim
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

chumley,

I just noticed (in your signature) that you sent your PR application to London. Sorry! my information was for Buffalo, which may not apply to London and you. Anyway, wish you all the best.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

much appreciated folks

I took webex's advice and went into walmart today they did a fabby scan onto matte paper almost perfect but backgroudn no longer quite white mind you we got 9 pics for 21 cents yes only 21 cents!!!!

then returned to original photographer who thinks the world has gone mad with immigration pickeyness

a kind sole has pointed out to me the sense behind though think it was webex and I do see the reasoning eg if to glossy could cause a reflection and not be scanable onot PR card.

having siad this chances are many folk send glossy and chc accept otherwise I would bet there would be a flood of posts about probs with wrong finish!

would love to hear from anyone who has definitly sent glossy for PPR and had them accepted

good luck all every step is a pain in the rear
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Thought I would just update this thread to say that our photos which were certainly not printed on Matte paper were accepted by CHC as we just got our Passports back with lovely shiny visas inside..
Cheers
Tim
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
Thought I would just update this thread to say that our photos which were certainly not printed on Matte paper were accepted by CHC as we just got our Passports back with lovely shiny visas inside..
Cheers
Tim
Yeah yeah, me too Mine were glossy and they were accepted.

Oh congrats btw!! great feeling eh?