Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend heading back to Canada and me waiting on Visa :(

Girlfriend heading back to Canada and me waiting on Visa :(

Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Underworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Girlfriend heading back to Canada and me waiting on Visa :(

Im a bit concerned as to how long I have to be without my beautiful girlfriend

We applied 3 months ago and got recepit 1 month after applying. She is heading back to setup camp with work etc, and Im having to stay here as I have no idea as to when I will get accepted/declined. And I need to carry on working.

Its a weird feeling and quite a big sacrifice splitting up across countries like this. Were both throwing our lives up in the air to move over there. I wish we could know when we would get some info back as to when we might get a result.

I guess its not possible to directly ask them

Any one else out there in this situation?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend heading back to Canada and me waiting on Visa :(

Originally Posted by Underworld
Im a bit concerned as to how long I have to be without my beautiful girlfriend

We applied 3 months ago and got recepit 1 month after applying. She is heading back to setup camp with work etc, and Im having to stay here as I have no idea as to when I will get accepted/declined. And I need to carry on working.

Its a weird feeling and quite a big sacrifice splitting up across countries like this. Were both throwing our lives up in the air to move over there. I wish we could know when we would get some info back as to when we might get a result.

I guess its not possible to directly ask them

Any one else out there in this situation?

Hi

I am in a similar situation as you are - but not through any sponsorship route.

My hubby went out feb 4th and in 10 days we will be together again for good - so I have had 6 months of it barring the two weeks i spent with him in May so more than know what it is like hun.

Won't dress it up for you as that would be very unfair and all that. What I will say is that it is going to be very difficult for you and only your strength as a couple and the internet will make it easier for you. Please also be ready for those little bits of niggly things that are gonna p**s the pair of you off and make you argue via Skype or email.

Just remember that the niggly things just show you how much you want to be together - blow your top at each other if necessary and when you calm down and realise that it was over nothing send her flowers or a sweet I love you e-card. NEVER let an argument run and spill over into another day either as it gets harder to make friends too.

The Voice of Experience

Gaynor
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Hehe. Its always nice hearing a sympathetic voice or some one who can relate to you. Sorry you had to wait so long! Theres no way I could stay apart that long, id have to go over on a mega holiday or something lol!

How long did the entire process take for you?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

a1anm is on a distinguished road

i feel your pain.

I'm in the exact same situation, my girlfriend is returning to Canada on Sunday and I have to stay here and wait for my visa to come through.

I applied about 4 and a half months ago so i'm hoping the wait is almost over.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Underworld
Hehe. Its always nice hearing a sympathetic voice or some one who can relate to you. Sorry you had to wait so long! Theres no way I could stay apart that long, id have to go over on a mega holiday or something lol!

How long did the entire process take for you?
We are on a WP which we got clearance for Nov 06 but hubby's new employer told him to get xmas over with in the UK and then give in his notice so phil flew Feb 4th.

one thing that i would advise you is to try and get out there after a few months for a holiday just to feel and touch that special person and have a bit of a "normal" life even if it is only for a couple of weeks - that gives you some more strength to get through any longer of a period of separation. Although you do come back and feel down again about leaving them

We were told by our Immigration lawyer not to sell our UK house until Phil had the WP in his hands - hence why it will have taken me 12 months to get out there from the original job offer - so if you have property to sell get it on the market ASAP and doss at someone elses house until you get the green light from immigration.

The hardest part of this for me has got to be when I went in May and dropped my teenage daughter off to start her life with her dad - my son and I are truly lost without her hormones for sure.

I have 9 days to go before we are all re united as a family - and as soon as I see the other half of my family all of the upset and worries will go out of the door.

Reunions are wonderful

Gay
x
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Yeah,

I am in the exact same situation. My beautiful girlfriend also leaves on Tuesday and I dont know when i will be able to join her. She had to go as she works in Education, so needs to interview for jobs before the start of the new school year. It is going to suck being here without her.

My time line is below

Hang on in there all of you.

John
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

She had to go as she works in Education
Thats the exact same problem I have She has to work from September till summer. She cant take up another job here as she would be bound for another year. But shes been away for over 3 years from home, and needs to get back. I hope she gets something sorted for september.

Good luck to you.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

You ton underworld.

Damn those techears. I must be in the wrong job. getting paid for 6 weeks off sounds good to me.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

It can't be easy to be apart - I hate it when OH has to go even for a few days and would be unhinged if I'd had to go through what Gaynor has endured.

Please forgive me a twinge of jealousy though... there seem to be quite a few couples who applied more recently than we did, whose applications are steaming ahead. I'm beginning to get paranoid... did we do something wrong? Maybe it's just the fact that it's not our first marriage... or that while OH is a Canadian, his two kids will continue to reside in UK with their mom, while my three children by a former marriage live with us and would come with us. Go figure. My own woes don't prevent me from wishing you all well though. Fingers crossed for speedy reunions all around.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

i think it does depend on circumstance. I think your situation does sounds little more complex.

I sent all my documents off at once as well, and have no dependents and have lived in canada before for a year. i am not sur, but hopefully you will be sorted soon.

Fingers crossed for everyone.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

here4myman is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to fly back to Canada the end of april with our dog....My partner and I have been taking turns flying back monthly to be together... it has cost us most of the savings that he has made while staying to working in the UK...
I am considering flying back to the UK in september and stay another 6 months as Im sure he should have his PR by then...
We can't cope with being apart anymore... so we have two choices ...I go there and wait or he comes to Canada and waits...we are hoping we will hear something before we decide... our luck it will be a week after I move back...but once I decide to move back to the UK we will commit to stay for the 6 months even if the visa arrives as it is to much to move and to take the dog back and forth
Its a difficult time for everyone, I hope things move quickly for us all as this is a lonely way to live...no matter how many people I am around I feel lost without him...I worry constantly ..even when hes late from work I start thinking something has happened to him and there is nothing I can do.... thank goodness for the internet...atleast we can stay connected without it costing a fortune....It wont be an easy time for you both...stay connected as often as you can...and wish the months away Anne
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

I know exactly how you feel, My other half and I were in seperate countries for 8 months before I moved here.

In that time I flew to canada 4 times for a 'holiday'. I would cry my eyes out at the airport and HATED getting back on the plane to Wales.

Its tough, but you WILL get through it.

I am in Canada now waiting for my inland PR application to go through. We are in each others pockets and have been for nearly 3 years now, I'm not able to work yet and he works from home.
We don't argue (well... we do have 'discussions) But we do appreciate that we are now finally together... and wont have to go through the lonely nights again.

Get yourself a good webcam.