Getting a visa from within Canada

Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

HeyItsShire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a visa from within Canada

Hi,

Apologies if this has already come up in a previous post, but out of the pages I've read I haven't found the answer yet, so here goes.

I recently got back from a trip to Canada, and I loved it there, so I'm hoping to move. I've looked into work visas, and I don't think I fall under the correct job category to get one straight away. I'm a British citizen, so I know I can stay there for 6 months without any visa as a traveller no problem, and I've got friends out there who I can stay and pay rent to, rather than look for a place. I've seen that some people have been able to go to Canada as a visitor, and then get a job, and a visa from within. I'm thinking of going for a bar/restaurant job, and then once I have a visa, look for another job.

Has anyone else done this?
Is it easy?
Do customs give you any grief if you only have a one way ticket?

Many thanks for any help !
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a visa from within Canada

the issue I think will be getting a LMO because for most jobs if not all one will be required
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Let It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

I'm sure there will be other peeps on the forum who can give you more advice on getting a work visa, and how it may work if you come as a visitor with the sole intention of trying to change your status to a work visa, but here's our experience...

we came to Canada for our mid-life crisis gap year in December 2011.

I think we had a relatively easy time at border control; they were very interested in our proof of funds, and return ticket, so I would be careful about coming over on a one-way basis (be aware though that air tickets are only valid for one year from date of issue...we found out to our cost when our visa was extended and forfeited the return part of our ticket), but we were only with the agent for about 10 minutes. The main vibe we got was that we would not be a burden on any Canadian resources (esp. health care) and that we would leave Canada when we should.

We were 'allowed' in for 6 months, and while that is the norm for a British citizen, any time you've spent in Canada in the last 12 months may be taken off this time (i.e. if you'd been here for 4 weeks in the last 12 months, you may only get stamped in on a visitor visa for 5 months), also note that you don't have an automatic right to be allowed in, better to plan for problems, than assume it will be a breeze, but I would suggest it's unlikely you would be turned away in the first instance!

We then applied for a one-year extension to our visitor visa, and did this in good time of our visa expiring, more than 6 weeks before expiry was due. It was granted (hurrah).

We're now in the position of evaluating further options to make Canada our permanent home, and while getting work visas when we first came to Canada (not that we came with that intention - see above, mid-life crisis gap year!!) appeared to be very difficult, we've since completed the preliminary groundwork that indicates we may be eligible for temporary work visas, but are considering purchasing a business so will take a different route...

Good luck in your application
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again
There is no guarantee you will get the 6 months visit as this is dependent upon a number of factors such as how much money you have on you or in your personal bank account, how you will satisfy an examining officer that you wont work or study and will leave Canada. Coming across and looking for a job is ok but coming over with the intention of working and not leaving is a different matter.
To get any job the employer will need to apply for a Labour Market Opinion.
Any working under the table is illegal and if caught you will be removed from Canada.
Doing it this way is risky but your choice at the end of the day.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:03 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeyItsShire
Hi,

Apologies if this has already come up in a previous post, but out of the pages I've read I haven't found the answer yet, so here goes.

I recently got back from a trip to Canada, and I loved it there, so I'm hoping to move. I've looked into work visas, and I don't think I fall under the correct job category to get one straight away. I'm a British citizen, so I know I can stay there for 6 months without any visa as a traveller no problem, and I've got friends out there who I can stay and pay rent to, rather than look for a place. I've seen that some people have been able to go to Canada as a visitor, and then get a job, and a visa from within. I'm thinking of going for a bar/restaurant job, and then once I have a visa, look for another job.

Has anyone else done this?
Is it easy?
Do customs give you any grief if you only have a one way ticket?

Many thanks for any help !
are you under 30? if so take a look at IEC
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
are you under 30? if so take a look at IEC
2013 IEC is closed will have to apply next year if eligible.