Getting my son here

Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:27 am
Just Joined

melodrama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting my son here

Hey everyone, my husband and I moved to Canada 6 weeks ago and have 39 month work permits and will hopefully get permanence when we apply. My 16 year old son stayed at home in Scotland with his dad and to continue on with his IT apprenticeship. However, things have changed and he is now wanting to move to Canada to be with me. My question is this:

How do we go about getting him here re immigration?

He wants to work part time here so would need a work permit but he is also hoping to study on an open university style programme so he would be studying?? I really want to get him here as soon as possible and don't know where to start. Many thanks
Mel
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my son here

Originally Posted by melodrama
Hey everyone, my husband and I moved to Canada 6 weeks ago and have 39 month work permits and will hopefully get permanence when we apply. My 16 year old son stayed at home in Scotland with his dad and to continue on with his IT apprenticeship. However, things have changed and he is now wanting to move to Canada to be with me. My question is this:

How do we go about getting him here re immigration?

He wants to work part time here so would need a work permit but he is also hoping to study on an open university style programme so he would be studying?? I really want to get him here as soon as possible and don't know where to start. Many thanks
Mel
He would enter as a visitor and get a study permit on entry based on your TWP - he would need a copy of your TWP, contract, passport etc. to get this - plus a consent letter from his Father giving permission for him to travel overseas to stay with you.

Depending on which Province you are in, he may or may not be able to obtain a work permit.

I believe that he would still be required to attend school as he is only 16.

Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:51 am
Just Joined

TWP? work permit? It is my husbands contract as he is the one working. Would that still be ok? We are in Alberta and he can legally leave school here at 16
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

TWP? work permit? It is my husbands contract as he is the one working. Would that still be ok? We are in Alberta and he can legally leave school here at 16
Yes, TWP = Temporary Work Permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

If you intend to remain in Canada I would recommend getting your son to stay in school until he is 18, if possible. He can legally go to school at no charge.

He would not be able to get a work permit in Alberta until he is 18.

Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:00 am
Just Joined

ok, thanks very much for the help x
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:10 am
Banned

ok, thanks very much for the help x
You are welcome.

I should add that if you are applying for PR (and he will be on it) once he becomes a PR he will be able to work anywhere. You will need a letter of consent from his Father for immigration purposes when you apply for PR.