Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting married while PR application is in 'process'

Getting married while PR application is in 'process'

Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married while PR application is in 'process'

Hi, This is a very basic question and has probably been asked before but I can't find the issue on the site and I was wondering if anyone has an answer to this: I'm Canadian and my Partner is British and we're curently living in the UK. We have applied for PR status for my partner and her younger dependent child with me sponsoring both. We received notice last year that I have been approved as sponsor and our file is being relocated to the CHC in London for further processing. Now my Partner and I are planning to get married later this winter in the UK largely because we want to simplifiy our lives on both sides of the Atlantic re: bank accounts, investments,wills, house purchase in Canada etc. with both having the same surname i.e. mine.

Now the question is this - does it matter that when we 'get the call' later this year to go to the CHC for their visa stamp that the name on the passport will be different than the name given when she originally applied i.e. her newly married surname (mine) rather than her maiden name given with her initial application? Is it just a matter of her bringing her marriage certificate or old passport/drivers licence or what? To prove that she was once Ms. X before becoming Mrs. Y ?

We hope there's someone out there who knows how to address this issue effectively and can pit our minds at rest!

Best wishes to all for the New Year!

Dr.T
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:22 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married while PR application is in 'process'

Getting married will result in a change of circumstances, as as told when application starts you should update CHC of all changes in circumstances, for both of you. In this case it's definitely one in your favour, but as soon as you get married get copies of the marriage certificate and write to CHC updating them. You will need to include updated versions of the forms for your partner for her new name etc.

Shouldn't be any problems with it though.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Thanks Ben,

We're getting married at a Registry office in Guildford next month and they can issue as many marriage certs we want the same day so that's no problem. Also the revised forms can be sent to CHC with the marriage cert. Do you know if we have to pay a new fee aswell for the changes? Can't find anything on the site that mentions that - no problem if reqd. , just don't know at this point. What could delay our application if reqd. is a photocopy of her 'new' passport with her new surname 'cos we're off on a 2 week honeymoon to Couples in Jamaica in March and there's Easter when we return (don't trust Royal Mail during holidays) so we can't apply for a new Passport till April and get a photocopy to them till mid/late April at the earliest - hopefully you'll tell me its not necessary at this point!

Do you know what CHC exactly will require from us?

Again, many thanks you've been most helpful!

Dr.T
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Providing your not intending to travel before the wedding, it is possible to get the name changed on the passport before the wedding ceromonyhttp://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply...ng-married.asp. I have found the british passport officer very quick this time of year. But either way providing you keep CHC updated it shoudn't cause a problem.