Getting Married or Sponsored ?

Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Clairesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting Married or Sponsored ?

So .. Im here in Canada on my work visa(British)... got engaged to my soul mate when I first arrived in the country (Canadian) that ive known for 3 years ... my visa expires in Jan 2011 - what is the easiest and quickest way for getting an extension on my visa ...
We have been talking about getting married... then hear its best to get married outside of the country then to return to Canada ? OR the sponsorship route -which is this easier ?

PLEASE HELP ??
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married or Sponsored ?

Originally Posted by Clairesa
So .. Im here in Canada on my work visa(British)... got engaged to my soul mate when I first arrived in the country (Canadian) that ive known for 3 years ... my visa expires in Jan 2011 - what is the easiest and quickest way for getting an extension on my visa ...
We have been talking about getting married... then hear its best to get married outside of the country then to return to Canada ? OR the sponsorship route -which is this easier ?

PLEASE HELP ??
Get married in Canada.

Once you get the certificate, go down the spousal sponsorship route and you should, in theory, have Permanent Residency before you current visa expires.

Simples
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

would it be easier to get sponsored by the company im working for maybe ?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

would it be easier to get sponsored by the company im working for maybe ?
No. Much harder (they'd have to apply for LMO/AEO), then you'd apply for PR, and takes longer (approx a year for the whole process).

Spousal sponsorship definitely the quickest and easiest visa option for anybody!

Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

PLEASE HELP ??
Regardless of where you get married he will still need to sponsor you so essentially both of your options are the same.
Obviously you shouldn't get married just to extend your visa and getting married won't do that anyway, rather you will become a permanent resident. If you get your acts together now (and aren't in Ontario) you could have your permanent residence by the time your wp expires, then it's a simple job of flagpoling and you can stay in Canada.
I just got my perm residence. It took 3 months from Mississauga to PR email.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Lethe - thanks so much for your advise .. how did you go about doing this - through a lawyer ? any information would be greatly appreciated !! THANK YOU AGAIN
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lethe
Obviously you shouldn't get married just to extend your visa and getting married won't do that anyway
If CIC get any hint of that, chances are they won't approve it anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

No we are and have been together for 3 years but now I need to get advise on how I would be able to live in Canada - im not trying to rig the system by any means ? I came on holiday a few times - then moved on a work visa - but now my next step would be ....
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

No we are and have been together for 3 years but now I need to get advise on how I would be able to live in Canada - im not trying to rig the system by any means ? I came on holiday a few times - then moved on a work visa - but now my next step would be ....
We did our paperwork ourselves and had no problems (other than several small arguments from the stress of it). Unfortunately in Ontario you have to wait to get your marriage certificate so we got married in December but didn't actually get our application off until April (also due to our procrastination). Make sure you have the checklist with you when you're filling everything out. We had a rough copy which was covered in highlighter by the end and several check marks, 'filled out' 'signed' and 'checked'. When you have finished filling everything out make sure you double check it as missing a signature has put another member here back a few months in her application.
Use the search bar on the immigration page here to get any advice on form filling out and you can pm me if you need any more specific info. I'm happy to help!
It's really not hard, you could even begin to fill out the forms now especially the 'proof of relationship' section, get together family photos, letters etc. You don't have to go too overboard if you're getting married, just have enough that your relationship can be shown to be genuine.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

It is always a good idea to have someone look over your forms, it is sometimes amazing the silly little mistakes you make while filling the forms out.
The forms can cause stress...in our case it probably didn't help that I'm dyslexic, so my wife had to fill everything out. One day, I'm sure it will all be worth it though.
I went the lawyer route, only because I grew up as a TCK...and governments don't seem to like people who have lived in lots of different countries. To be honest so far it hasn't helped much.

Good luck!