Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting married..help me play my cards!!

Getting married..help me play my cards!!

Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Trey Combs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married..help me play my cards!!

Here's what's happening in my life. I'm a U.S. citizen who is going to marry a Canadian girl next month. We're both musicians and she lives in Toronto but we're both in Calgary right now while she's doing a show contract. I have a visitor's visa allowing me to stay in Canada until the end of February.
We're going to get married at the end of January and I want to start the immigration process as a sponsored spouse. We also thought that it might be a good idea to have her work on U.S. citizenship so that job\living options are available to us. I would appreciate any comments on this subject but here are a few basic questions;

Is it OK to get married in Alberta then go to Ontario?

Would getting married in the U.S. make things easier in any way?

Do I have to go to the border to change my visa status?

Can she work on US citizenship while I work on Canadian citizenship?

What's the best way to go about extending my visa and being able to look for work?

Please answer any or all question you feel confident about.
Thank you