Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting married AFTER Permanent Resident Card Issued

Getting married AFTER Permanent Resident Card Issued

Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married AFTER Permanent Resident Card Issued

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this: I am sponsoring my Common Law wife and dependent child for Permanent Residence in Canada and we're all currently living in the UK (I'm Canadian + my 'wife' is English). We are delaying getting married in the UK as we don't want to slow up the visa granting process (we've just had a request for the Right of Permanent Residence fee of $490.00). But after we 'land' in Canada and they get issued their PR cards; can we then get married? The plan is to visit BC this summer for 8-10 days once they get their visas and have them 'Land'. Then come back to the UK and sell the house, arrange moving etc. Get married in the UK and then go to Canada with them having their PR cards in hand. We're having their PR cards forwarded to the UK from a Canadian address where we'll have them sent (my wife plans to keep her current name once we're married for alot of reasons).

I'm kind of assuming this is ok. I know if there's any change in status BEFORE they land we have to inform the immigration; but after they've been granted their PR cards is it ok to get married (even if its outside the country)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:32 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting married AFTER Permanent Resident Card Issued

Sounds fine. Once you've got PR, you're in.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:15 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married AFTER Permanent Resident Card Issued

After you've got your PR you can do what you want. Get married, have kids, do what you want as long we you maintain your status and don't go on a crime spree.