getting into canada!

Old Oct 26th 2013, 7:33 am
Just Joined

elov8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink getting into canada!

hi there guys and gals I introduced myself and was told to join this section of the forum,so here I am and heres my story so far.........

my names paul and I am 37 years old I have a wife and 3 kids,kids ages are 3,4,10 although the 10 year old isn't mine my wife has full custody.
we have been talkig about moving to Canada for over 2 years now and as such I have started a course at college (nc fabrication and welding) in order to haave qualifications to gain entry uder the skilled workforce visa or permit.
at 1st I was offered a self employed position with a tattoo studio and they were putting I for an lmo whe cic said to them that they would not recognise me as a skilled worker as they dot recognise tattooing as that but I have since noticed it o the noc list ithink its 4803 its besides the electrologists and beauty technicians I think,anyway cic said that the company I was goig to work for would have to pay my transportation costs to and from work and also accommodation and health insurance and give me a set hourly wage,and as I was told and know a tattoo studio doesn't work like that (paying hourly wages) so that was that door closed.
I have since went for an interview with a company from Glasgow whom works on behalf of Canadian employers to get workers to relocate to Canada,the job was as a tyre fitter of which I am still waiting for word on the outcome or my Skype interview.
I have worked primerally in the motor industry being a mechanical fitter/welder/tyre fitter for more than 10 years so this kind of job would be ideal if ay of you know any such positions.

can I be doing anything to make myself have better chances of getting across?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 10:15 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting into canada!

Hi

Originally Posted by elov8
hi there guys and gals I introduced myself and was told to join this section of the forum,so here I am and heres my story so far.........

my names paul and I am 37 years old I have a wife and 3 kids,kids ages are 3,4,10 although the 10 year old isn't mine my wife has full custody.
we have been talkig about moving to Canada for over 2 years now and as such I have started a course at college (nc fabrication and welding) in order to haave qualifications to gain entry uder the skilled workforce visa or permit.
at 1st I was offered a self employed position with a tattoo studio and they were putting I for an lmo whe cic said to them that they would not recognise me as a skilled worker as they dot recognise tattooing as that but I have since noticed it o the noc list ithink its 4803 its besides the electrologists and beauty technicians I think,anyway cic said that the company I was goig to work for would have to pay my transportation costs to and from work and also accommodation and health insurance and give me a set hourly wage,and as I was told and know a tattoo studio doesn't work like that (paying hourly wages) so that was that door closed.
I have since went for an interview with a company from Glasgow whom works on behalf of Canadian employers to get workers to relocate to Canada,the job was as a tyre fitter of which I am still waiting for word on the outcome or my Skype interview.
I have worked primerally in the motor industry being a mechanical fitter/welder/tyre fitter for more than 10 years so this kind of job would be ideal if ay of you know any such positions.

can I be doing anything to make myself have better chances of getting across?
1. Tattoo Artist is NOC 6562 and is NOC level C, semi skilled.
2. Tire Installer is NOC 9522 and again is level C semi skilled.

It is going to be difficult for them to get a LMO for that position which you need for a work permit. The medium wage for tire installer/repairer is about $15.00 per hour. On a TWP that is not enough to support a family of 5. If you get a TWP, as the job will be NOC C, your spouse will not be able to work.

A skilled trade, with an apprenticeship completed is about the only way to go, and 9000 hours of experience so you can write the red seal exam (if it is a red seal job)

The NOCs you quoted was from 2006. The new NOC list is here:http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...1/welcome.aspx
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: getting into canada!

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Tattoo Artist is NOC 6562 and is NOC level C, semi skilled.
2. Tire Installer is NOC 9522 and again is level C semi skilled.

It is going to be difficult for them to get a LMO for that position which you need for a work permit. The medium wage for tire installer/repairer is about $15.00 per hour. On a TWP that is not enough to support a family of 5. If you get a TWP, as the job will be NOC C, your spouse will not be able to work.

A skilled trade, with an apprenticeship completed is about the only way to go, and 9000 hours of experience so you can write the red seal exam (if it is a red seal job)

The NOCs you quoted was from 2006. The new NOC list is here:http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...1/welcome.aspx
first of all I thank you for your reply.
so what you are saying is the skilled way is the only way to go? this is why I am at college jus now doing my national certificate fabrication and welding so I can get qualifications as all my experiance is good honest on the job working of which I have no certificates for hence why I am at college.
please let me know if I have got this wrong but me and my wife have done the calculations on the wage which is $16 going upto $20 an hour after probation period,we also know that she cant work whilst there but she says she would look after the kids,our break down on wages versus outgoings are as follows

house rent(which I have already sourced) $1200 monthly (I have no idea about electricity and heating charges though)
food for the month 300-500
health insurance 70-90 monthly(company pays mine)

this seems doable off of just under £3000 a month? even minus the working tax its still doable?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

so what you are saying is the skilled way is the only way to go? this is why I am at college jus now doing my national certificate fabrication and welding so I can get qualifications as all my experiance is good honest on the job working of which I have no certificates for hence why I am at college.
please let me know if I have got this wrong but me and my wife have done the calculations on the wage which is $16 going upto $20 an hour after probation period,we also know that she cant work whilst there but she says she would look after the kids,our break down on wages versus outgoings are as follows

house rent(which I have already sourced) $1200 monthly (I have no idea about electricity and heating charges though)

this seems doable off of just under £3000 a month? even minus the working tax its still doable?
You're aware that if you're only semi-skilled not only would your wife not be able to work, but that you may also not be eligible to apply for PR, depending on the province? Whereabouts is the job?

As PMM said, getting a LMO is likely to be very tricky, but if you can then the wage sounds very low to be supporting a family of five on. You're missing figures from your budget (tax, cable, phones, banking, internet, car insurance etc), and your food costs seem very low for a family?

Are the hours guaranteed? That's something to check, as we've had far too many stories on the forum of people on TWPs getting far less hours than promised and having to return to the UK.

Personally, there's no way I'd spend £20k+ on moving my family to Canada to try and survive on such a low wage.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 27th 2013 at 7:26 am.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're aware that if you're only semi-skilled not only would your wife not be able to work, but that you may also not be eligible to apply for PR, depending on the province? Whereabouts is the job?

As PMM said, getting a LMO is likely to be very tricky, but if you can then the wage sounds very low to be supporting a family of five on. You're missing figures from your budget (tax, cable, phones, banking, internet, car insurance etc), and your food costs seem very low for a family?

Are the hours guaranteed? That's something to check, as we've had far too many stories on the forum of people on TWPs getting far less hours than promised and having to return to the UK.

Personally, there's no way I'd spend £20k+ on moving my family to Canada to try and survive on such a low wage.
thanks for your reply,sorry the hours are 44 hours weekly and then call outs aswell,please tell me then and pardon my French lol but how the hell do people do it then? I mean I get told all I need is a job offer at 1st....I get one all be it self employed 1st time round as a tattooist,now they won't even entertain that? Canada says it welcomes immigrants? yeah what ones? rich ones lol! the job offers in alberta by the way.
I am beginning to rethink this move to Canada now to be honest,maybe I have been kidding myself for the past 2 years,also I don't know where personally you get the moving a whole family for £20k that's just absured for a start are you furnishing them with a private jet to some remote runway lol?

no offence meant so none should be taken! I am just finding this all abit bewildering and unabtainable now.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 8:14 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply,sorry the hours are 44 hours weekly and then call outs aswell,please tell me then and pardon my French lol but how the hell do people do it then? I mean I get told all I need is a job offer at 1st....I get one all be it self employed 1st time round as a tattooist,now they won't even entertain that? Canada says it welcomes immigrants? yeah what ones? rich ones lol! the job offers in alberta by the way.
I am beginning to rethink this move to Canada now to be honest,maybe I have been kidding myself for the past 2 years,also I don't know where personally you get the moving a whole family for £20k that's just absured for a start are you furnishing them with a private jet to some remote runway lol?

no offence meant so none should be taken! I am just finding this all abit bewildering and unabtainable now.
All countries with an immigration program want people with skills that there is a shortage of that country, not immigrants that will take jobs away from locals (Canadians in this case). Canada is looking for skills that are in demand. Tattooist is not high up there on skills that will help the country develop economically.

You do need a job offer, but in specific categories, not just any job. Self employed would be hard to put through anyway. A job offer for LMO is as an employee. A fixed per hour wage would be essential, per job or commission would not work. A TWP for self employed could be done to start a business, you would need a sound business plan and enough capital to set up the business and sustain yourself, a lot more than £20k.

£20k is not a lot to move countries these days. Private Jet - You would not make it to Canadian shores for that, you may make a remote runway in Greenland though. Perosnally, I'd go with the Lear 45

Upgrade your qualifications, as a welder perhaps, get a job as a welder for a few years and get some money behind you, then look to immigrate. Your position right now for immigration would seem unlikely.

Just fancying the idea of moving overseas and finding a job just does not happen anymore. Like everything, if you have goals, a plan and want it badly enough you can make it happen. If you abandon it and give up, you did not want it badly enough.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 27th 2013 at 8:30 am.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
All countries with an immigration program want people with skills that there is a shortage of that country, not immigrants that will take jobs away from locals (Canadians in this case). Canada is looking for skills that are in demand. Tattooist is not high up there on skills that will help the country develop economically.

You do need a job offer, but in specific categories, not just any job. Self employed would be hard to put through anyway. A job offer for LMO is as an employee. A fixed per hour wage would be essential, per job or commission would not work. A TWP for self employed could be done to start a business, you would need a sound business plan and enough capital to set up the business and sustain yourself, a lot more than £20k.

£20k is not a lot to move countries these days. Private Jet - You would not make it to Canadian shores for that, you may make a remote runway in Greenland though. Perosnally, I'd go with the Lear 45

Upgrade your qualifications, as a welder perhaps, get a job as a welder for a few years and get some money behind you, then look to immigrate. Your position right now for immigration would seem unlikely.

Just fancying the idea of moving overseas and finding a job just does not happen anymore. Like everything, if you have goals, a plan and want it badly enough you can make it happen. If you abandon it and give up, you did not want it badly enough.
and surely now I am sitting here happily typing away knowing that sarcasm is not dead in the world
I can see what your saying though and its sad to admit it but in all honesty I cant quite favom why on earth tattooing would not be considered as a skilled job,for a start not everyone can do it and also you have to be god damned talented at it to pull portraits and realism off that to me and many others is a more skilled job than a lot of other "skilled" jos out there.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't have got a LMO for a self-employed job anyway (no matter what it was). But yes, Canada looks for immigrants that have skills that are needed. Money has nothing to do with it (other than the proof of funds amount which is $23,425 for a family of five btw).

Not sure who told you that CIC 'won't entertain' a LMO application for a tattooist but that's not true. If the employer can prove that they've advertised the job nationally and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job (although it would have to be a permanent job, not self-employed) then it can be applied for. But even if you can get the LMO are you ok with not being able to stay longer than four years? As a tattooist in AB you wouldn't qualify for PR under any route.

Nobody is saying that it won't be possible, but without an in demand job that CIC deem to be 'skilled', it's going to be tough and also probably only temporary.

also I don't know where personally you get the moving a whole family for £20k that's just absured for a start are you furnishing them with a private jet to some remote runway lol?
£20k is actually a conservative figure, I'd suggest you look at this thread for info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 27th 2013 at 9:35 am.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You wouldn't have got a LMO for a self-employed job anyway (no matter what it was). But yes, Canada looks for immigrants that have skills that are needed. Money has nothing to do with it (other than the proof of funds amount which is $23,425 for a family of five btw).

Not sure who told you that CIC 'won't entertain' a LMO application for a tattooist but that's not true. If the employer can prove that they've advertised the job nationally and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job (although it would have to be a permanent job, not self-employed) then it can be applied for. But even if you can get the LMO are you ok with not being able to stay longer than four years? As a tattooist in AB you wouldn't qualify for PR under any route.

Nobody is saying that it won't be possible, but without an in demand job that CIC deem to be 'skilled', it's going to be tough and also probably only temporary.

£20k is actually a conservative figure, I'd suggest you look at this thread for info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341
thanks for your input

I do have an uncle and aunty staying in Ontario is there any route through them?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks for your input

I do have an uncle and aunty staying in Ontario is there any route through them?
I'm afraid not.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ho.asp#who_can
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:45 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

i
and surely now I am sitting here happily typing away knowing that sarcasm is not dead in the world
I can see what your saying though and its sad to admit it but in all honesty I cant quite favom why on earth tattooing would not be considered as a skilled job,for a start not everyone can do it and also you have to be god damned talented at it to pull portraits and realism off that to me and many others is a more skilled job than a lot of other "skilled" jos out there.
It is skilled for sure, but in this part of Ontario there are many of them .

$20 an hour will not support you, your wife and children and allow you to have some fun.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:15 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You will want to double the food estimates, heating and electric around 150 to 300 per month especially in the winter.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:59 am
Just Joined

BobT82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Elov8, I've been reading these forums for a while as I'm due to move to Edmonton early next year providing i receive a positive LMO. It'll hopefully be confirmed in the next few weeks. I was reading your posts and thought I'd offer you some advice.
I would seriously reconsider this move for now. You've stated that the wage on offer is $20/hr that's only just over £10/hr. Given the research I've done over the last few months there is no doubt in my mind that you would run into serious financial difficulties. Also the $20000 that people have said that you will need to set up sounds a lot at first but when you start breaking it down its not that far out. I've got $10000 sitting just now but looking to save another $5000 by January. We're still worrying that it won't be enough as I'm taking a bit of a wage cut to move out there.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:18 am
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Hey Elov8

Just to put things into perspective, we are a family of 3 + a dog and moved to AB in March with £20,000 + in our accounts and it has now gone......7 months later! Luckily my OH earns in excess of $30 an hour plus as much overtime as he wants!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

George1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to allGeorge1987 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sms1984
Hey Elov8

Just to put things into perspective, we are a family of 3 + a dog and moved to AB in March with £20,000 + in our accounts and it has now gone......7 months later! Luckily my OH earns in excess of $30 an hour plus as much overtime as he wants!
To be fair though not everyone needs almost $30,000 (going by £20,000 at todays rate of $1.62 to the pound, amounts to $32,400) to start a new life. It depends on the city you want to live in and where you are prepared to live and please remember there are many Canadians who live perfectly well without earning excess of $30 an hour. Best thing to do is to do what most of us have done and do some recon work and take as many trips as you are able to get a better idea of life and costs in Canada. Of course it helps if your spouse is able to work and earn also.

I honestly wish you the best of luck as I truly feel you came here optimistic and have now been dis-heartened. Research what skilled jobs are REALLY needed and if you are able to train in the UK first and make a long term goal and go for that.

Last edited by George1987; Oct 28th 2013 at 2:37 am. Reason: correcting a mistake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.