Wikiposts

Getting family in

Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

mikem303030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting family in

Can anyone help? ,I have my own contracting business which I started last November.
I am a Canadian Citizen and I need help with my business.
I am trying to find the best way to get my brother and his wife over from Ireland.
He will join me as a partner in the business and his wife would look for work in an accounting position,he is English and is currently trying to sell his property.
I was wondering if there is a fairly quick way to get them here.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:52 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting family in

Family Business sponsorship doesn't exist anymore (for ages now) in Canadian immigration program.

You cannot sponsor siblings under Family class either.

In order to sponsor anyone for work permit your business must be in operation for at least past 12 months, have other than yourself and immediate family full time employees for at least past 12 months and you must advertise vacant position nationwide for about 3 months with advertised salary within average to above average paid for the same position in same area as per HRSDC/Service Canada statistics and to document that despite extensive recruiting effort you were unable to find Canadian for the job.

Sorry, but I don't see it happening under the circumstances you described.

There may be some PNP options available though - but you didn't state the Province you are in, what size of business you run, what is it's current book value, etc. to even guess if those options may exist for your brother coming as partner buying at least 1/3 of shares in the business.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Apr 17th 2008 at 1:55 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:23 am
Just Joined

mikem303030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting family in

Thanks for the info Andrew.
Well I guess it is back to the drawing board.
It seems crazy that we are in a real crisis in Alberta trying to find employees.
Every business is desperate to recruit yet our gov,mt does see the need to do something about this.
I worked for a large company for 10 years and we periodically brought in overseas workers because it was impossible to find staff.
I guess I will have to look at my brother and his wife getting work permits with someone else until we can figure something out,they are both very employable.
My business is basically me and I can take on lots more work but I need someone I can trust and it would be nice to have some family here.

Mike,