Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting desperate....horrible idea?

Getting desperate....horrible idea?

Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

SarahBella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting desperate....horrible idea?

Hey guys!

I just flew into Canada to get the new condo ready for my partner who's staying back in the U.K for a little bit until he gets his PPR. (Check my timeline in sig)

Anyway, to prove that we were coming back to Canada with the application we booked one way plane tickets to Toronto for the 28th of this month ( this was back in Jan) My working visa ran out yesterday and I thought it would be better for me to fly back early, get a job set up and start earning so we would be comfortable when he arrives.

But July 28th is coming up pretty quick and I was wondering if it's a bad idea for him to fly over and tell the service desk people that he's coming over to visit me (which he is! And he won't look for work or anything naughty unti he has his PPR)

But then wait around here with his savings and help me move into the condo and wait to get his PPR back home, his Mother has a key to the mailbox and will get it for him.

Now, we think we're pretty much good to go for this, they sent us back our photos and cards at the end of May (thats a pretty good sign though, right?? Do you think we're in? When do they usually tell you you're not allowed if it happens?) Do you think its okay for him to fly into T.O with a one way ticket, stay with me and I can show him our new area, and then send the passport to his Mom and then she can send it to London, then send it back to us and we do some cross border shopping in Buffalo and bring him back to land??

Is there anything in this plan that the CHC would look down apon? Would we have a hard time getting him across the US border with his passport? Has anyone on this board actually done this before? I've been told they might get suspicious??

Anyway, I know this is the longest question ever, but I wanted weigh the options and see what we could come up with.

Many thanks for reading!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting desperate....horrible idea?

Sarah,

I think this is what i am going to do, however i think your OH will need a return flight when he comes to Toronto as proof he is not just coming to stay.

John
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

here4myman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Getting desperate....horrible idea?

My partner came over two years ago to stay with me in Canada on a one way ticket for 6 months...the first time he was questioned about me...where I worked, about our relationship, was I at the airport waiting for him to arrive, I guess to see if I really existed....6 months later when the stamp was nearly up...he flew back to Uk for a week then came back again on a one way ticket...they stamped it for 6 more months no questions asked...maybe they must keep the info on file...as long as your partner leaves before his 6 months is up if his PR isnt fast then you should be fine....about mailing a passport back...I wouldnt risk it being lost, but your call...maybe he could fly back for a holiday to the UK for a week or so and get it stamped himself in London....Good Luck...Anne
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

SarahBella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting desperate....horrible idea?

Originally Posted by here4myman
My partner came over two years ago to stay with me in Canada on a one way ticket for 6 months...the first time he was questioned about me...where I worked, about our relationship, was I at the airport waiting for him to arrive, I guess to see if I really existed....6 months later when the stamp was nearly up...he flew back to Uk for a week then came back again on a one way ticket...they stamped it for 6 more months no questions asked...maybe they must keep the info on file...as long as your partner leaves before his 6 months is up if his PR isnt fast then you should be fine....about mailing a passport back...I wouldnt risk it being lost, but your call...maybe he could fly back for a holiday to the UK for a week or so and get it stamped himself in London....Good Luck...Anne

So he made it over just FINE? And he said he was going to be staying with you for 6 months?? I don't think our sorting out the rest of the immigration will take more than 6 months anyway (check my sig)

Thanks for giving me some actual hope here!! LOL What if we Fedex it to London?? That will be a bit more safe....Is it wrong for us to send it to his mother first? If we send it from Canada will they be mad? (Since we applied outland) Cause I'm assuming he will have the stamps from Canada in his passport when he sends it over...is this actually allowed by the CHC?

And would it be fine to drive to Buffalo and back? Will they let him across the border if they know we're planning to land?

Sorry for playing 20 questions here, but I'd just hate to do something wrong