Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

getting back to Canada with a Canadian Girlfriend... Help

getting back to Canada with a Canadian Girlfriend... Help

Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:33 am
Just Joined

chrisndenise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting back to Canada with a Canadian Girlfriend... Help

Hi

My Girlfriend is Canadian and we are currently living in England.(she has a work visa). We met while in Canada when I was on an IEC visa.

We want to move back to Canada asap but not sure how I can get back into the country.

We were hoping that I would get my second IEC visa but because I was on the the young work visa for a year before the new IEC visa came out in 2011. I have lived out of the UK for more than 18 months out of the last year.

We have also looked into common law as we have now been living together for over a year. We were unsure though whether I could go and work in Canada while the application is being processed. This is because my Girlfriend has to return to uni in the fall.

Any help is appreciated as we are at a really loose end right now. thanks
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:35 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting back to Canada with a Canadian Girlfriend... Help

Originally Posted by chrisndenise
Hi

My Girlfriend is Canadian and we are currently living in England.(she has a work visa). We met while in Canada when I was on an IEC visa.

We want to move back to Canada asap but not sure how I can get back into the country.

We were hoping that I would get my second IEC visa but because I was on the the young work visa for a year before the new IEC visa came out in 2011. I have lived out of the UK for more than 18 months out of the last year.

We have also looked into common law as we have now been living together for over a year. We were unsure though whether I could go and work in Canada while the application is being processed. This is because my Girlfriend has to return to uni in the fall.

You can't work when the application is processing. I looked at the wait times recently for the visa to be competed I think it was 50 days for the first section then 10 months for the second section.

Also lived outside the uk for more than 18 months out of the last year? Doesnt make sense?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Your gf can sponsor you for PR, although as cbrown89 has said, you can't work whilst it's being processed (well, you can if you do an inland application, but it takes 6 months to get to the work permit stage and then another year or so to get PR so isn't worth doing that route). If you do an outland application, processing times are only about 4-6 months or so on average, so you could have PR pretty quickly.

If you get cracking now, then hopefully you'll have PR around the summer, in plenty of time to move back with your gf in the fall.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread.

I'm in a similar situation, except my girlfriend and I have been long distance for a while - I'm finally going out there on an IEC visa and intend to live with her for 2 years while working.

There's a possibility I might want to stay and apply for PR, I'm applying for a skilled job so CEC is one route, however, as a back up I was thinking we could go for the common law partner sponsorship route. Thing is I'm 18 and she's only 16 (yes I know we're young!), could a 16 year old (will be 17 at time of applying) sponsor me?

Just curious, I wasn't going to worry about this for a year but I thought I may as well ask.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acrylicus
Sorry to slightly hijack this thread.

I'm in a similar situation, except my girlfriend and I have been long distance for a while - I'm finally going out there on an IEC visa and intend to live with her for 2 years while working.

There's a possibility I might want to stay and apply for PR, I'm applying for a skilled job so CEC is one route, however, as a back up I was thinking we could go for the common law partner sponsorship route. Thing is I'm 18 and she's only 16 (yes I know we're young!), could a 16 year old (will be 17 at time of applying) sponsor me?

Just curious, I wasn't going to worry about this for a year but I thought I may as well ask.
No. She has to be over the age of 18 to sponsor you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...TOC.asp#3900E2

"... Who may use this application?

This application guide is designed for Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada who are 18 years of age or older and wish to sponsor members of the family class... "
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

chrisndenise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cbrown89
You can't work when the application is processing. I looked at the wait times recently for the visa to be competed I think it was 50 days for the first section then 10 months for the second section.

Also lived outside the uk for more than 18 months out of the last year? Doesnt make sense?
sorry 18 months out of the last 3 years.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:50 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisndenise
Hi

If you've only been on one IEC visa you should be elligible for another. I'm not sure I follow "I have lived out of the UK for more than 18 months out of the last year". Obviously it's impossible (lol). Have you also been out of the UK for another reason?