Get in through care route?

Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Mrsruddick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Get in through care route?

Hi,
My husband and I have fallen in love with Canada and Canadians, and want so much to spend our lives there.
However I have become so confused and frustrated with the immigration system. Neither of us are 'skilled' workers and therefore I know we cannot apply through the express entry route.
I am a carer and love my job, this is what I want to do, I want to apply under 'caring for people with high medical needs' however I need 24 months full time employment in Canada to do this, therefore I don't see how I can enter through the iec as I would only just have enough time to get the relevant experience . A couple of my Canadian friends work in care in ontario (where we'd like to be)and have said how important it is to get my PSW certificate done. It's a 1 year programme but study time is only 15 weeks, I have spoken to the college who havnt been very helpful, does anyone know if I would get a one year student visa and be able to have a one year work permit after?
Even if I can do this though I would still only have a year and a half's worth of experience as I could only work 20 hours a week during my first year so I'm confused about how to get my two years experience and still be in Canada and working when I apply for PR???
If any one can help or knows of anyone that can please let me know.
O and we have enough savings if you go on cost of study and £10,000 per person.
Once again any help at all might save me from a nervous break down.

Last edited by Mrsruddick; Sep 8th 2015 at 3:33 am.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get in through care route?

Originally Posted by Mrsruddick
Hi,
My husband and I have fallen in love with Canada and Canadians, and want so much to spend our lives there.
However I have become so confused and frustrated with the immigration system. Neither of us our 'skilled' workers and therefore I know we cannot apply through the express entry route.
I am a carer and love my job, this is what I want to do, I want to apply under 'caring for people with high medical needs' however I need 24 months full time employment in Canada to do this, therefore I don't see how I can enter through the iec as I would only just have enough time. A couple of my Canadian friends work in care in ontario (where we'd like to be)and have said how important it is to get my PSW certificate done. It's a 1 year programme but study time is only 15 weeks, I have spoken to the college who have been less than helpful about it really, does anyone know if I would get a one year student visa and be able to have a one year work permit after?
Even if I can do this though I would still only have a year and a half's worth of experience as I could only work 20 hours a week during my first year so I'm confused about how to get my two years experience and still be in Canada when I apply for PR???
If any one can help or knows of anyone that can please let me know.
O and we have enough savings if you go on cost of study and £10,000 per person.
Once again any help at all might save me from a nervous break down.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You don't get a study permit for a course that's less than 6 months in duration, so if the study is only 15 weeks, that option is out.

Can you give us more info - does it have to be Ontario, what exactly do you both do, what qualifications do you have, how old are you both etc?

We can then try and help you figure out a visa route.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:48 am
Just Joined

I am a carer, have done all sorts of training for it but non of which would count towards anything I don't think, things like first aid, medication ect, I passed my a levels and started a university degree, but left in my second year as I hated the course. We are both 27.
My husband is a gardener/handy man/driver/game keeper/ for a wealthy farming family (he actually doesn't have a job title although they refer to him as estate management), he also has done training but again I don't think it would count, things like his chainsaw licence and telehandler licence.
Yes to ontario, we have made alot of friends out there and it feels like home to us now.
I thought that about the study programme but the college had said because it's called a one year programme you can get a study visa, have a feeling they wanted my £100 application fee
Old Sep 8th 2015, 4:05 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

How about studying to become an RPN or LPN in a province in Ontario? It's a two year course, you become a registered practical nurse which is similar to the old UK enrolled nurse and your hubby support you while you study on the back of your study permit? You would obviously have to have enough money to cover two years international fees

You might be able to get a job as an RPN then and gain a TWP and LMIA off the back of it and then apply for PR. Simple huh?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 4:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I
My husband is a gardener/handy man/driver/game keeper/ for a wealthy farming family (he actually doesn't have a job title although they refer to him as estate management), he also has done training but again I don't think it would count, things like his chainsaw licence and telehandler licence.
But he doesn't qualify for EE? His job should count as Skilled if it's Estate Management (or even gardener).

Yes to ontario, we have made alot of friends out there and it feels like home to us now.
OK, that does limit things.

I thought that about the study programme but the college had said because it's called a one year programme you can get a study visa, have a feeling they wanted my £100 application fee
You said 15 weeks though? It doesn't matter what it's called, it's the actual study duration. Doesn't sound legit to me tbh.

From what you've said, you've got a few options that I can see -

1. Consider another province that has an easier PNP.
2. A proper study permit for one of you. One of you could do a degree, maybe you could do a nursing degree? A degree is needed for most jobs in Canada anyway, so it would be incredibly useful, and would mean you'd get a proper 3 year study permit and then be able to apply for PR using your PGWP or the Spousal Open Work Permit for the other person.
3. One of you gets a job offer, but if you're only considering Ontario, then note it will have to be a skilled job offer if you wanted to apply for PR once there (most other provinces would allow you to apply for PR under the PNP even if semi or low skilled).
4. The Live In Caregiver program.
5. IEC.

HTH a bit, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 8th 2015 at 4:16 am.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Yeah I looked into that, there is a possibility we could save enough by next year to go down the practical nursing route, not a chance of doing registered nursing as it is a huge amount of money.
I just don't understand why there are the care pathways if they don't give enough time to get the experience to be eligible for it.
could I try and get iec then work two years in care then stay after, not working whilst I apply, or am I booted out as soon as iec runs out?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 4:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I just don't understand why there are the care pathways if they don't give enough time to get the experience to be eligible for it.
What are you referring to with this i.e. which visa route?

could I try and get iec then work two years in care then stay after, not working whilst I apply, or am I booted out as soon as iec runs out?
You could go on IEC, but unless you get a skilled job, you can't apply for PR in Ontario. As above, you could in most other provinces though - that was why one of my first questions to you was does it have to be Ontario, as it really does make a big difference to your visa prospects if you're not degree educated and in skilled work.

As I mentioned in my last post though, it's possible that your husband would be considered skilled, although you'd need to double check that and make sure, so possibly he could get a job offer/LMIA/PNP and apply for PR.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your help.
The route I was looking at comes under entering as a care worker, specifically under 'caring for people with high medical needs' which is what I have been doing for the last 6 years so I feel pretty skilled even if it's not recognised
I will look into my husband but does he not need actual qualifications? a bit of paper that confirms he can do his job
Old Sep 8th 2015, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi if you're thinking of studying, sounds like you need to investigate the college and the program in some detail to see exactly what is involved and what the program qualifies you to do. To be eligible to apply for a study permit, the college needs to be a designated learning institution:

Designated learning institutions list

To clarify also: you can actually apply for a Study Permit for a short term course and in some circumstances CIC encourage you to do so (for example, if you think you may want to study another course after the first one; go on to a longer program etc.):

I want to study in Canada for less than six months. Do I need a study permit?

See "short term courses" in this link:

Student permits: Who needs a study permit

Hope this is helpful.

S
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you so much for your help.
The route I was looking at comes under entering as a care worker, specifically under 'caring for people with high medical needs' which is what I have been doing for the last 6 years so I feel pretty skilled even if it's not recognised
I will look into my husband but does he not need actual qualifications? a bit of paper that confirms he can do his job
OK, so there is time to qualify under that route, but you need to get a proper work permit to do so, you can't use a study permit or IEC.

Your husband doesn't need qualifications (although they'll help for points purposes for most visas), his NOC code will be determined by his day to day duties in his job, and if that comes under a 'skilled' NOC code, then you will find it much easier. So as a first step, look up both of your NOC codes, and then let us know what they are so that we can try and help further.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Snowy560
To clarify also: you can actually apply for a Study Permit for a short term course and in some circumstances CIC encourage you to do so (for example, if you think you may want to study another course after the first one; go on to a longer program etc.)
Unless the OP has to do a short course to get on to another longer course (i.e. some courses require you to have done a module in something else first), then a study permit wouldn't normally be granted for a course of less than 6 months though.

CIC almost never give study permits out for short courses, and from what the OP's said it wouldn't apply to their situation, plus of course she wouldn't be able to work on it or get a PGWP which seemed to be essential from her first post.

HTH.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Hi if you're thinking of studying, sounds like you need to investigate the college and the program in some detail to see exactly what is involved and what the program qualifies you to do. To be eligible to apply for a study permit, the college needs to be a designated learning institution:

Designated learning institutions list

To clarify also: you can actually apply for a Study Permit for a short term course and in some circumstances CIC encourage you to do so (for example, if you think you may want to study another course after the first one; go on to a longer program etc.):

I want to study in Canada for less than six months. Do I need a study permit?

See "short term courses" in this link:

Student permits: Who needs a study permit

Hope this is helpful.

S
Thanks, yes it is a designated institute, I've spoken to the international department but they gave me a pretty bog standard reply, I've just sent an email to the head of the course Im wanting to attend so I'm hoping they might know something in more detail.
Thanks for the other links though I'll have a look through them
Old Sep 8th 2015, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so there is time to qualify under that route, but you need to get a proper work permit to do so, you can't use a study permit or IEC.

Your husband doesn't need qualifications (although they'll help for points purposes for most visas), his NOC code will be determined by his day to day duties in his job, and if that comes under a 'skilled' NOC code, then you will find it much easier. So as a first step, look up both of your NOC codes, and then let us know what they are so that we can try and help further.
I'm NOC code C,I've looked up my husbands and he would be B I think but it's very iffy as I can't really find a job that does what he does day to day on the list. Would we not have to prove it in someway?