Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Get COPR for non accompanying children

Get COPR for non accompanying children

Old Mar 5th 2019, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Get COPR for non accompanying children

We have received COPR today (Yaay!!)
I have a daughter and stepdaughter that have been on the application and listed as non accompanying
My stepdaughter is in Canada and wants PR and I have advised my daughter to activate PR as that gives her a couple of years to consider her options
How can we get a COPR for the girls - do I just email the Visa office or is there a set process/ form to apply
Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2019, 7:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get COPR for non accompanying children

Originally Posted by Richb1970
We have received COPR today (Yaay!!)
I have a daughter and stepdaughter that have been on the application and listed as non accompanying
My stepdaughter is in Canada and wants PR and I have advised my daughter to activate PR as that gives her a couple of years to consider her options
How can we get a COPR for the girls - do I just email the Visa office or is there a set process/ form to apply
Thanks

If your stepdaughter is still in a common-law relationship then she will have to find her own way to obtain PR status - as you are aware, you would not be able to sponsor her as she would no longer be classed as a dependent. Does this count as cohabiting for common law
Old Mar 5th 2019, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If your stepdaughter is still in a common-law relationship then she will have to find her own way to obtain PR status - as you are aware, you would not be able to sponsor her as she would no longer be classed as a dependent. Does this count as cohabiting for common law
Hi
Yeah we are looking at her options
What about my daughter there is no reason not to get COPR for her I guess?
I have emailed the Visa office for advice on what we do next but its a slow process!
Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Yeah we are looking at her options
What about my daughter there is no reason not to get COPR for her I guess?
I have emailed the Visa office for advice on what we do next but its a slow process!
Thanks
Your daughter wouldn't have been sent a COPR if you put her down as non-accompanying.. you haven't mentioned that before I don't think?

How old is she now? I think you could add her to your application as an accompanying dependent now, providing her age is still locked in (and nothing has changed her status to non-dependent) as she has had her medical, police check etc., (a requirement for non-accompanying and accompanying dependents) provided you do it prior to validating your COPR's (which is when you are officially granted PR status). Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to advise you!

From https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...cumstance.html

They must also declare any changes in their family composition that occur at any time during the application process up to the point where they are granted permanent resident status.
I did find this part - which might help - I'm not sure though if it applies to ALL applicants or just 'family sponsorship' ...
During processing, a principal applicant can add a new family member as a dependant, such as a newborn child or, in the case of a parent or grandparent, a new partner. Or, they may request that a family member originally declared as non-accompanying be included as accompanying.

If an applicant has a child after they have been issued a permanent resident visa but before becoming a permanent resident, the processing office can:
  • add the child to the sponsorship
  • collect the applicable processing fee for the child
Calling christmasoompa / Snowy / PMM / FL for advice!

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 6th 2019 at 5:13 am.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

That's really helpful thanks so much for the information. I have emailed the visa office and await their response!

Our COPR run out in July but we are off to Vegas at Easter so can't activate PR till after we return anyway. We need to do it then as my son will hopefully be off to Uni and we need to be PR to be able to afford it!
Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as said above they won't get COPR if you've put them as non-accompanying. Non-accompanying means they are dependents so are included in the app in case you want to sponsor them in the future, but won't actually get PR themselves as they're not moving with you.

If you did want to change your daughter's status so that she gets PR, you must do that as a matter of urgency as Siouxie has said above. Once you've landed it will be too late to change it.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Just wanted to round this off - I emailed London and was asked to redo IMM008 for them to consider - they then processed this really quickly and added my daughter. They then requested us to send our COPR back with photos and they have messaged us to let me know that the new COPR are in the post!

I have had fantastic help from London - they were replying to emails within 24h as I had asked if this could be processed ASAP as we have a tight timescale to get the COPR activated so big thanks to the Visa office there

My stepdaughter is in limbo right now as she hasnt got COPR due to her relationship and has informed us this weekend that they are splitting up! I think I have aged a decade with all of this. We are going to see an immigration consultant and see if her mum can sponsor her once her PR is activated as she is still only 21 and now single
Old Apr 6th 2019, 3:05 pm
Banned

Just wanted to round this off - I emailed London and was asked to redo IMM008 for them to consider - they then processed this really quickly and added my daughter. They then requested us to send our COPR back with photos and they have messaged us to let me know that the new COPR are in the post!

I have had fantastic help from London - they were replying to emails within 24h as I had asked if this could be processed ASAP as we have a tight timescale to get the COPR activated so big thanks to the Visa office there

My stepdaughter is in limbo right now as she hasnt got COPR due to her relationship and has informed us this weekend that they are splitting up! I think I have aged a decade with all of this. We are going to see an immigration consultant and see if her mum can sponsor her once her PR is activated as she is still only 21 and now single

Great news indeed about your daughter!

As to your stepdaughter, likely no need to consult an Immigration consultant - I'm sure someone can advise you on here for free!

As an aside if she has split with her partner already you may be able to add her to your application now. If they are 'done' perhaps get the form IMM 5519 Statutory Declaration Severence of Common Law Union signed and then get in contact with London again. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ms-guides.html

Just a thought
Old Apr 6th 2019, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Great news indeed about your daughter!

As to your stepdaughter, likely no need to consult an Immigration consultant - I'm sure someone can advise you on here for free!

As an aside if she has split with her partner already you may be able to add her to your application now. If they are 'done' perhaps get the form IMM 5519 Statutory Declaration Severence of Common Law Union signed and then get in contact with London again. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ms-guides.html

Just a thought
Boyfriend is still in the house and they have 'split' like this several times so I expect they will be back together by the end of the weekend!

Also this will add more delays and my daughter only has a week in May when she can activate her PR.

My wife has a friend who has offered free services and I have had my fill of all the forms if I am honest - also have an exam in a month I need to focus on so will pass the baton to my missus to sort out my stepdaughter
Old Apr 6th 2019, 3:21 pm
Banned

Boyfriend is still in the house and they have 'split' like this several times so I expect they will be back together by the end of the weekend!

Also this will add more delays and my daughter only has a week in May when she can activate her PR.

My wife has a friend who has offered free services and I have had my fill of all the forms if I am honest - also have an exam in a month I need to focus on so will pass the baton to my missus to sort out my stepdaughter

Understood! I believe the process for your wife to sponsor your step daughter it's a matter of filling out the forms for sponsoring a dependent family member - as she was already examined, it should be quite a quick process

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ner-child.html
Old Apr 6th 2019, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Understood! I believe the process for your wife to sponsor your step daughter it's a matter of filling out the forms for sponsoring a dependent family member - as she was already examined, it should be quite a quick process

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ner-child.html
Thats great thanks so much for the advice