Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian CRS

General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian CRS

Old May 31st 2023, 7:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
just a year for masters degree yeah.

Appreciate the kind wishes hopefully she can come around to the idea.

one last question, supposing I was lucky enough to get an iec, would I be allowed to sit the trucking test and work as a trucker during those two years? I understand the costs involved and that I’d be responsible for those but would an iec allow this?
Yep, you can do that, although you'd need experience first in the UK I believe (https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada). An IEC will allow you to work in any job other than those that require citizenship i.e. police jobs.

HTH.
Old May 31st 2023, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, you can do that, although you'd need experience first in the UK I believe (https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada). An IEC will allow you to work in any job other than those that require citizenship i.e. police jobs.

HTH.
thanks for the quick reply. I know you’d said the IEC would let me do any job but didn’t know how it worked for licenses etc.

I’ve had a quick look at that link, surely that can’t be right about needing 2-3 years class 1 experience? I’m not for one minute being naive in thinking I could adapt to a new country’s roads overnight but after six months or so I’d feel confident beginning the truckers training with the hope of it leading to PR.

if that requirement is as I’ve read it though it’s kind of poured cold water on the idea.

Old May 31st 2023, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the quick reply. I know you’d said the IEC would let me do any job but didn’t know how it worked for licenses etc.

I’ve had a quick look at that link, surely that can’t be right about needing 2-3 years class 1 experience? I’m not for one minute being naive in thinking I could adapt to a new country’s roads overnight but after six months or so I’d feel confident beginning the truckers training with the hope of it leading to PR.

if that requirement is as I’ve read it though it’s kind of poured cold water on the idea.
It may have changed since that Wiki article was written, I'm afraid I have no idea, worth an ask in the Truckers section of the forum though.
Old May 31st 2023, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

It may have changed since that Wiki article was written, I'm afraid I have no idea, worth an ask in the Truckers section of the forum though.

no problem, I might even try and get in touch with a few trucking schools in Canada.

thanks again for your help.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

christmasoompa

hi, just looking for confirmation and advice.

received an invitation to apply for IEC!

just to confirm once I accept the invitation and apply for a work permit (assuming I’m granted one) I have a year to enter Canada before it expires?

had no idea I’d get an invitation so quickly.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 9:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa

hi, just looking for confirmation and advice.

received an invitation to apply for IEC!

just to confirm once I accept the invitation and apply for a work permit (assuming I’m granted one) I have a year to enter Canada before it expires?

had no idea I’d get an invitation so quickly.
Blimey, that's crazily quick! How's the OH feeling about it?

You can decline it and then you'll stay in the pool, if it's too quick for you, although of course then there's no guarantee you'll be selected again. But you now have 10 days to decline or accept, then if you do accept you have 20 days to apply for a work permit. Once you've done that, you should get your letter of introduction about 8 weeks later. That is then valid for a year to enter Canada and activate your 2 year visa. So basically, from today, the latest you'll be able to enter Canada would be (very approximately) about early September 2024. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=846&top=17

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Blimey, that's crazily quick! How's the OH feeling about it?

You can decline it and then you'll stay in the pool, if it's too quick for you, although of course then there's no guarantee you'll be selected again. But you now have 10 days to decline or accept, then if you do accept you have 20 days to apply for a work permit. Once you've done that, you should get your letter of introduction about 8 weeks later. That is then valid for a year to enter Canada and activate your 2 year visa. So basically, from today, the latest you'll be able to enter Canada would be (very approximately) about early September 2024. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=846&top=17

HTH, good luck.
she’s said it would be silly not to apply given the cutoff for age etc.

need to discuss it now and see if we are going to go for it. Neither of us expected it back so quickly.

Perfect that answers my question! September would be perfect.

thank you once again have a great day
Old Jun 7th 2023, 9:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

she’s said it would be silly not to apply given the cutoff for age etc.

need to discuss it now and see if we are going to go for it. Neither of us expected it back so quickly.

Perfect that answers my question! September would be perfect.

thank you once again have a great day
Very sensible. Given the relatively low cost to apply (about £200ish by the time you've done police cert) it might be worth doing and seeing what the next year brings. You can drag things out i.e. don't accept until right before the deadline, don't apply for the work permit until just before that deadline etc, to give you a little more time. One tip though, is if you do decide to apply, then start the police cert application asap. The ACPO website had a cyber attack months ago and still isn't up and running so you have to apply another way and there is a backlog. You can submit proof of having applied for your work permit app if you don't have the actual certificate by then though, but it's just something to be aware of.

Good luck.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Very sensible. Given the relatively low cost to apply (about £200ish by the time you've done police cert) it might be worth doing and seeing what the next year brings. You can drag things out i.e. don't accept until right before the deadline, don't apply for the work permit until just before that deadline etc, to give you a little more time. One tip though, is if you do decide to apply, then start the police cert application asap. The ACPO website had a cyber attack months ago and still isn't up and running so you have to apply another way and there is a backlog. You can submit proof of having applied for your work permit app if you don't have the actual certificate by then though, but it's just something to be aware of.

Good luck.
im just going to get it all done asap. Terrified I miss out because of a technical issue or because something doesn’t come back in time.

done all my work history, education etc. now at the part where it’s asking for documents and fees.

the police certificate seems troublesome. As you’ve said ACRO have been down because of a cyber attack. I’ll need to try and contact police scotland to see what the best course of action is.

as you’ve mentioned above am I ok submitting everything bar the police certificate if I put in the additional information section proof of me having sent a request for such a certificate? Would be devastated to miss out because of this.
Old Jun 9th 2023, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

as you’ve mentioned above am I ok submitting everything bar the police certificate if I put in the additional information section proof of me having sent a request for such a certificate? Would be devastated to miss out because of this.
Yep. From this page - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#documents

"If you can’t get a police certificate before the deadline to submit your application, you can upload
  • a copy of the receipt to prove you’ve applied for one, or
  • a screenshot of the confirmation page or email you got when you ordered your police certificate online
An officer will send you a request letter in your account later on to ask for your police certificate. You must give us the certificate by the deadline shown in the request letter, or your application will be refused."
Old Jun 9th 2023, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Yep. From this page - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#documents

"If you can’t get a police certificate before the deadline to submit your application, you can upload
  • a copy of the receipt to prove you’ve applied for one, or
  • a screenshot of the confirmation page or email you got when you ordered your police certificate online
An officer will send you a request letter in your account later on to ask for your police certificate. You must give us the certificate by the deadline shown in the request letter, or your application will be refused."

ah perfect! Thank you!