Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian CRS

General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian CRS

Old May 29th 2023, 10:51 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian CRS

At the time of writing I have an honours degree in journalism, I’m also about to start studying for a masters degree.

firstly I know if I were to officially apply for PR I’d need my credentials examined by an approved agency but just asking on here for a general idea.

does a Scottish masters degree equate to a Canadian masters degree?

also, does having an honours degree and a masters count as two qualifications (perhaps meaning extra points) or is it just a case of stating your highest level of education?

Thanks in advance.
Fedupscotsman is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 5:47 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

If you have a masters you’ll get 126 points for education (more than for having two credentials, which is 119 points).

But bear in mind the whole EE system is changing soon and it’s likely to have other criteria added as well as the points system (i.e. those in certain occupations or with French language skills being more likely to be selected). So if you’re eligible now I’d hurry up and get in the pool asap, a masters will only give you 26 extra points over a degree so personally I wouldn’t wait for that. And of course, depending on your age you’ll potentially lose points with every birthday, so the possible 26 extra points may dwindle further.

What are you currently scoring?

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 29th 2023 at 5:49 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 6:03 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you have a masters you’ll get 126 points for education (more than for having two credentials, which is 119 points).

But bear in mind the whole EE system is changing soon and it’s likely to have other criteria added as well as the points system (i.e. those in certain occupations or with French language skills being more likely to be selected). So if you’re eligible now I’d hurry up and get in the pool asap, a masters will only give you 26 extra points over a degree so personally I wouldn’t wait for that. And of course, depending on your age you’ll potentially lose points with every birthday, so the possible 26 extra points may dwindle further.

What are you currently scoring?
ah ok, thanks for the heads up.

think now it’s 390ish and with a masters it’d still only be 426 (I think)

I need skilled work experience anyway so it’ll be a few years before I’m ready to apply if I do. Would like to do a masters degree anyway and given it’s a 20 something point boost I think I’m going to go for it.

my only realistic chances of PR are through a PNP or with a job offer, which will both require skilled work experience so going to look to get a skilled job above 30+ hours alongside uni and then continue that for a year or two after I finish studying.

all hypothetical for now anyway, still to convince the other half so got that small mountain to overcome.


Fedupscotsman is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 7:15 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
ah ok, thanks for the heads up.

think now it’s 390ish and with a masters it’d still only be 426 (I think)

I need skilled work experience anyway so it’ll be a few years before I’m ready to apply if I do. Would like to do a masters degree anyway and given it’s a 20 something point boost I think I’m going to go for it.

my only realistic chances of PR are through a PNP or with a job offer, which will both require skilled work experience so going to look to get a skilled job above 30+ hours alongside uni and then continue that for a year or two after I finish studying.

all hypothetical for now anyway, still to convince the other half so got that small mountain to overcome.
And did you check your OH's score, what's she scoring? You don't need skilled work experience for a work permit, or some PNP streams BTW. You do for EE though.

Would you have the funds to study in Canada? You could do your masters there then, which would get you over there and working, give you a recognised Canadian credential, give you more points and mean you could potentially apply for PR whilst there. Might just kill two birds with one stone if you want to do a masters anyway.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 7:20 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And did you check your OH's score, what's she scoring? You don't need skilled work experience for a work permit, or some PNP streams BTW. You do for EE though.

Would you have the funds to study in Canada? You could do your masters there then, which would get you over there and working, give you more points and mean you could potentially apply for PR whilst there. Might just kill two birds with one stone if you want to do a masters anyway.

she’d score around about the same. At the time of writing though she’s dead against the idea of going, I certainly envisage my future with her but for now we’re just co-habiting so want to begin the groundwork now in case things don’t work out so that I’m not left 2/3 years older and not any more attractive to potential emigration destinations.

really? I had been looking online (it’s an absolute minefield) there was like federal skilled worker (I assumed you’d have to be skilled given the title) etc and some provinces did have routes for TEER 4 & 5 occupations but only select ones, none of which were applicable to me sadly.

can you elaborate on that?

many thanks
Fedupscotsman is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 7:23 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
she’d score around about the same. At the time of writing though she’s dead against the idea of going, I certainly envisage my future with her but for now we’re just co-habiting so want to begin the groundwork now in case things don’t work out so that I’m not left 2/3 years older and not any more attractive to potential emigration destinations.
Ah, ok. Plan a trip out there and see if she falls in love with it (or you hate it, which would solve the problem either way!).

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
really? I had been looking online (it’s an absolute minefield) there was like federal skilled worker (I assumed you’d have to be skilled given the title) etc and some provinces did have routes for TEER 4 & 5 occupations but only select ones, none of which were applicable to me sadly.
FSW is one of the EE programs, not PNP. Many provinces have 'semi-skilled' or 'low skilled' programs - off the top of my head Ontario is the only one that doesn't. But you just need to look at each province's PNP website for more details on all their streams. And you can get a work permit for any job, if you can find a sponsoring employer.

Did you decide against the IEC program for any particular reason? Might be a good way to sell it to your OH as well, as it's only a temp visa (but would potentially lead to PR), so you could say you're just having a short adventure and then see how she feels once there, if she'd be up for that rather than applying to move permanently?

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 29th 2023 at 7:26 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 7:40 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, ok. Plan a trip out there and see if she falls in love with it (or you hate it, which would solve the problem either way!).



FSW is one of the EE programs, not PNP. Many provinces have 'semi-skilled' or 'low skilled' programs - off the top of my head Ontario is the only one that doesn't. But you just need to look at each province's PNP website for more details on all their streams. And you can get a work permit for any job, if you can find a sponsoring employer.

Did you decide against the IEC program for any particular reason? Might be a good way to sell it to your OH as well, as it's only a temp visa (but would potentially lead to PR), so you could say you're just having a short adventure and then see how she feels once there, if she'd be up for that rather than applying to move permanently?

that’s in the pipeline, just information gathering for now and when I have a concrete idea of what province I’d have the best chance of getting accepted to then I’ll plan flights and accommodation accordingly.



I had wondered about the job offer scenario. There are a lot of jobs on Canada Job bank that even now I’d be qualified for and that are accepting foreign applicants but because they weren’t skilled I didn’t think I would be able to emigrate on the back of being accepted to such a position?

I’ll need to check but I’m fairly sure IEC is for younger applicants? I’m 29 now and will be in my early thirties if I’m applying.

I’ll maybe approach her about a short term visa when the time is right. Just trying to get a plan together for now.

Once again thanks for your help. Learn more from guys like you on here than I do through hours of googling haha.


Fedupscotsman is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 7:45 pm
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
that’s in the pipeline, just information gathering for now and when I have a concrete idea of what province I’d have the best chance of getting accepted to then I’ll plan flights and accommodation accordingly.



I had wondered about the job offer scenario. There are a lot of jobs on Canada Job bank that even now I’d be qualified for and that are accepting foreign applicants but because they weren’t skilled I didn’t think I would be able to emigrate on the back of being accepted to such a position?

I’ll need to check but I’m fairly sure IEC is for younger applicants? I’m 29 now and will be in my early thirties if I’m applying.

I’ll maybe approach her about a short term visa when the time is right. Just trying to get a plan together for now.

Once again thanks for your help. Learn more from guys like you on here than I do through hours of googling haha.
IEC is for those aged 30 and under, so you'd be eligible but only for the next year or so (possibly nearly 2 years, depending on when your birthday is - the minute you turn 31 you'd no longer be eligible). It would be your quickest and easiest way over by a mile, maybe you could chat to her and see if she'd be willing to do that? It's a 2 year open work permit (so any employer can just hire you without needing to do anything, unlike a 'normal' work permit that costs them money and takes time/hassle). See if she'd be willing to give it a go for a year or two? You could go to any province then as well, rather than having to go to one where you're more likely to get a visa, so could choose a province that you think she'd like the most rather than just going somewhere that you don't have much choice in. You can't leave it to apply for that route though, it really would be a 'now or never' situation, so might need to have a conversation about it sooner rather than later! If she won't even consider that, at least you'd know.

And yes, any position qualifies for a work permit. But as above, it's not easy for an employer (unless you have an open work permit) so you may find it harder to find a sponsoring employer if it's not an in demand job. But any job offer can result in a work permit, it doesn't have to be skilled for that.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 7:48 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
IEC is for those aged 30 and under, so you'd be eligible but only for the next year or so (possibly nearly 2 years, depending on when your birthday is - the minute you turn 31 you'd no longer be eligible). It would be your quickest and easiest way over by a mile, maybe you could chat to her and see if she'd be willing to do that? It's a 2 year open work permit (so any employer can just hire you without needing to do anything, unlike a 'normal' work permit that costs them money and takes time/hassle). See if she'd be willing to give it a go for a year or two? You can't leave it to apply for that route, it really would be a 'now or never' situation, so might need to have a conversation about it sooner rather than later! If she won't even consider that, at least you'd know.

And yes, any position qualifies for a work permit. But as above, it's not easy for an employer (unless you have an open work permit) so you may find it harder to find a sponsoring employer if it's not an in demand job. But any job offer can result in a work permit, it doesn't have to be skilled for that.

HTH.
ahh, I had thought when you turn 30 that’s it. Knowing it’s until you hit 31 is interesting, that’s certainly something I’m going to look into.

didn’t know that. So on that front, say for talking sake I got a job as a delivery van driver in Canada? Would my stay be temporary and/or linked to that specific job?
Fedupscotsman is offline  
Old May 29th 2023, 8:01 pm
  #10  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
ahh, I had thought when you turn 30 that’s it. Knowing it’s until you hit 31 is interesting, that’s certainly something I’m going to look into.

didn’t know that. So on that front, say for talking sake I got a job as a delivery van driver in Canada? Would my stay be temporary and/or linked to that specific job?
Yes, it would be temporary, generally for 2 or 3 years, you'd need to find a way to get PR once there - possibly a semi skilled PNP if your employer was willing to sponsor you for it. And yes, it would be linked to that specific job, you couldn't do anything else (unlike the IEC which is an open work permit, so you can work for anybody or in several jobs if you want).

Just to reiterate about the IEC, it's a lottery system and there's only a certain number of visas available each year, so please don't wait until next year to apply, give yourself both years to maximise your chances. If you can chat to your OH about it asap and see if she'd be open to the idea, ideally you both want to apply now (assuming she's under 31 of course) and then again next year if you don't get lucky in this year's quota, so that you have 4 chances. It's an easy application, and much lower cost/hassle than any other visa route, and will give you a much easiest way to staying permanently if you want as you'd don't need sponsorship. I wouldn't wait to look in to it or wait to apply if you decide to go for it (with or without OH). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...iec/about.html

Sorry to sound pushy but it really is going to be your best way over, bear in mind that once you've got a few years of skilled experience behind you you'll be mid thirties, and that's another 30 or so points off your total just due to getting older. So waiting a few years when you have a good option available to you now that will disappear in a couple of years is madness………….there are sooo many people on the forums that would kill to be 30 or under and now have an uphill struggle to get themselves a visa. And from a middle aged woman perspective, if you plan to split with your OH in a few years if you both want different things out of life, it would be far kinder to have that conversation now and make the decision sooner rather than later. Unless you would consider not moving abroad and compromising on that for her, then you need to be honest with her and tell her that you will go at some point, and see what she says. If she's still dead against it and won't compromise either, then that may make the decision for you.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 29th 2023 at 8:13 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 30th 2023, 12:56 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, it would be temporary, generally for 2 or 3 years, you'd need to find a way to get PR once there - possibly a semi skilled PNP if your employer was willing to sponsor you for it. And yes, it would be linked to that specific job, you couldn't do anything else (unlike the IEC which is an open work permit, so you can work for anybody or in several jobs if you want).

Just to reiterate about the IEC, it's a lottery system and there's only a certain number of visas available each year, so please don't wait until next year to apply, give yourself both years to maximise your chances. If you can chat to your OH about it asap and see if she'd be open to the idea, ideally you both want to apply now (assuming she's under 31 of course) and then again next year if you don't get lucky in this year's quota, so that you have 4 chances. It's an easy application, and much lower cost/hassle than any other visa route, and will give you a much easiest way to staying permanently if you want as you'd don't need sponsorship. I wouldn't wait to look in to it or wait to apply if you decide to go for it (with or without OH). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...iec/about.html

Sorry to sound pushy but it really is going to be your best way over, bear in mind that once you've got a few years of skilled experience behind you you'll be mid thirties, and that's another 30 or so points off your total just due to getting older. So waiting a few years when you have a good option available to you now that will disappear in a couple of years is madness………….there are sooo many people on the forums that would kill to be 30 or under and now have an uphill struggle to get themselves a visa. And from a middle aged woman perspective, if you plan to split with your OH in a few years if you both want different things out of life, it would be far kinder to have that conversation now and make the decision sooner rather than later. Unless you would consider not moving abroad and compromising on that for her, then you need to be honest with her and tell her that you will go at some point, and see what she says. If she's still dead against it and won't compromise either, then that may make the decision for you.

Best of luck.
ill be looking into IEC in the next couple of days, certainly sounds like the best option.

assuming we were to apply and were lucky enough to be invited, how long would the invitation be valid? Won’t be finished my masters until this time next year and would hate to leave halfway through.

you’re not being pushy at all, you’ve been infinitely more helpful than the hours of repetitive and vague info I’ve researched myself.

I appreciate age isnt on my side but having done calculations assuming I have a masters and 2/3 years skilled experience my score is still reasonable so hopefully I could get over one way or another should we decide to do it.

the OH and I have had this conversation and we’re just going to see how it goes. Nothing decided yet but would be foolish to wait and then decide I want to do it after a few years of earning no points and my age going up.



Fedupscotsman is offline  
Old May 30th 2023, 2:17 am
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
assuming we were to apply and were lucky enough to be invited, how long would the invitation be valid?
You'd only have 30 days to submit a full application from the invitation date, but then once you've got the LOI you'd have a year to enter Canada and activate it. See the link above which gives full details on the process.

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
I appreciate age isnt on my side but having done calculations assuming I have a masters and 2/3 years skilled experience my score is still reasonable so hopefully I could get over one way or another should we decide to do it.
I've just done a rough calculation and assuming you go with your OH, she scores max on IELTS and has a degree, you have a masters, also score max on IELTS and are 35 years old with 3 yrs skilled work experience, it's coming out at around 450, which wouldn't be enough going on current scores. Of course, I've no idea if you happen to have a Canadian brother that you've not mentioned etc so it's only a very rough score. But now anybody with enough points can get invited, that may change later this year as mentioned previously. Invites are expected to be tailored to the needs of Canada - nobody yet knows what that means, but it's likely to be mean only certain occupations, those already working in Canada, those with Canadian relatives, and/or those that speak French will get invites (or at least get invites at lower points levels). It's just something to bear in mind.

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
i
the OH and I have had this conversation and we’re just going to see how it goes. Nothing decided yet but would be foolish to wait and then decide I want to do it after a few years of earning no points and my age going up.
I agree, it would. Maybe you could both apply for IEC's, it's not a huge cost (£150ish) if either of you decides it's not for you, but worth it just to get it to give yourselves the option. If you really dragged the process out, you could give yourself 15 months before you had to move - and that's assuming you got an invite straight away, it could be up to 2 years if you don't. So plenty of time to do a masters (assuming it's one year).

Best of luck whatever you decide.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 30th 2023, 2:42 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'd only have 30 days to submit a full application from the invitation date, but then once you've got the LOI you'd have a year to enter Canada and activate it. See the link above which gives full details on the process.



I've just done a rough calculation and assuming you go with your OH, she scores max on IELTS and has a degree, you have a masters, also score max on IELTS and are 35 years old with 3 yrs skilled work experience, it's coming out at around 450, which wouldn't be enough going on current scores. Of course, I've no idea if you happen to have a Canadian brother that you've not mentioned etc so it's only a very rough score. But now anybody with enough points can get invited, that may change later this year as mentioned previously. Invites are expected to be tailored to the needs of Canada - nobody yet knows what that means, but it's likely to be mean only certain occupations, those already working in Canada, those with Canadian relatives, and/or those that speak French will get invites (or at least get invites at lower points levels). It's just something to bear in mind.



I agree, it would. Maybe you could both apply for IEC's, it's not a huge cost (£150ish) if either of you decides it's not for you, but worth it just to get it to give yourselves the option. If you really dragged the process out, you could give yourself 15 months before you had to move - and that's assuming you got an invite straight away, it could be up to 2 years if you don't. So plenty of time to do a masters (assuming it's one year).

Best of luck whatever you decide.
if I was to want to go it’d be before I’m 35, regardless I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I think my score would be around 450 but I’d have half a chance at a PNP with a score like that and 2+ years in a desirable occupation (trucking looks like the best and most realistic option for me as things stand.) I’m planning on doing my HGV (uk equivalent) this year and get at least 2/3 years of experience before I’d apply to go to Canada so that I’d be half knowledgable on how to do the job correctly and safely so that I’d be better equipped for the MELTS, the test itself and to study for the airbrake assessment etc.

I’m going to discuss the idea of the IEC though as like you say it’s a ridiculously good route to just let pass me by. I’ll likely be back on here with further questions in the future but until then thanks for your input and take care.


Fedupscotsman is offline  
Old May 31st 2023, 5:35 am
  #14  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
if I was to want to go it’d be before I’m 35, regardless I appreciate you taking the time to do that.
Masters just a year? So finish that at age 30ish if you're 29 now, then you want to train as a HGV driver and do that for 3 years to get max points? Can't see that being much before age 35 tbh. But either way it would only be approx 5-10 points difference and you'd likely still need a job offer/sponsoring employer if you're too old for IEC (most PNP's would require you to already be out there working).

But first hurdle is to convince the OH to give it a go, I wish you the best of luck with that and then hope you can find a way over.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 31st 2023, 6:53 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 59
Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General queries about education levels and how they can be used for Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Masters just a year? So finish that at age 30ish if you're 29 now, then you want to train as a HGV driver and do that for 3 years to get max points? Can't see that being much before age 35 tbh. But either way it would only be approx 5-10 points difference and you'd likely still need a job offer/sponsoring employer if you're too old for IEC (most PNP's would require you to already be out there working).

But first hurdle is to convince the OH to give it a go, I wish you the best of luck with that and then hope you can find a way over.
just a year for masters degree yeah.

Appreciate the kind wishes hopefully she can come around to the idea.

one last question, supposing I was lucky enough to get an iec, would I be allowed to sit the trucking test and work as a trucker during those two years? I understand the costs involved and that I’d be responsible for those but would an iec allow this?
Fedupscotsman is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.