Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

GCSE French- proof of basic proficiency?

GCSE French- proof of basic proficiency?

Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSE French- proof of basic proficiency?

Like I said, apples and pears.

Genarally speaking the English system is pretty useless for measuring language proficiency.

I had a similar argument with my wife who had GCSE french and was insulted when I told her she may not have basic french. After a humiliating TEF exam, she finally realised what I was trying to tell her.

I have no idea what your level of french is. It could be higher than mine (I studied at degree level).

The only way to tell is if you did a test such as the TEF or DELF/DALF exams. These exams are designed to test languague proficiency.

If you can ace the B1 DELF exam you will not have much problems getting the required level on the TEF exam. To give you an idea, a B2 would get you into an udergraduate program in a french university.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSE French- proof of basic proficiency?

I took the TEF at the Alliance Francaise in Manchester in April 2006. The only previous training I'd had was GCSE French (which I got a grade A in in 1997) but then not used French at all until I took A/S French evening class in 2005/2006 to get my French up and running again before taking the test (I didn't sit the A/S level, I just used the course as prep for TEF) and then I made sure I got the book and tapes/CDs to practice with-to be honest that's very very useful, if you know the style and format of the test you can really focus on what is being asked rather than being thrown by something coming out of the blue, or much faster than you expected etc.

On the day I didn't feel it had gone particularly well but was very pleasantly surprised when I got my results! I got (with the CHC equivalencies in brackets):

Comprehension ecrite/reading = 193/300 (moderate = 2 points)
Comprehension orale/listening = 211/360 (basic = 1 point)
Expression ecrite/writing = 296/450 (moderate = 2 points)
Expression orale/speaking = 200/450 (basic = 1 point)

So 6 points out of a possible 8! Much better than I expected so worth having a crack at it I reckon!

Good luck!