British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   GCSE ECA points (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/gcse-eca-points-935820/)

num9er Nov 23rd 2020 3:55 pm

GCSE ECA points

Has anybody here successfully received an ECA and gained CRS points for their GCSE's? I assumed that i could have used my 4 year total at college towards my CRS points total for EE however i'm told that they wont accept trade related education nor will it be accepted for an ECA (This is not including my apprenticeship and trade qualification which i'm aware i can challenge separately). As it stands, all of my further education no longer counts and im unsure if my high school education is even worth anything as CRS points. I'm clutching at straws here as i now depend on what little points i can accrue. I'm a bit worried that i wont meet the requirements now for PR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

christmasoompa Nov 23rd 2020 3:57 pm

Re: GCSE ECA points

Originally Posted by num9er (Post 12938778)
Has anybody here successfully received an ECA and gained CRS points for their GCSE's? I assumed that i could have used my 4 year total at college towards my CRS points total for EE however i'm told that they wont accept trade related education nor will it be accepted for an ECA (This is not including my apprenticeship and trade qualification which i'm aware i can challenge separately). As it stands, all of my further education no longer counts and im unsure if my high school education is even worth anything as CRS points. I'm clutching at straws here as i now depend on what little points i can accrue. I'm a bit worried that i wont meet the requirements now for PR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you submit all of your education then you should get points for secondary education, so 28 points (or 30 if you don't have a partner).

Are you applying under the FST program? If so, the points threshold is lower so hopefully you'll be alright. What are you scoring?

num9er Nov 23rd 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks for your response, thats promising. Upon successful completion of a certificate of qualification for my trade and including the secondary education, i would score 329. I'm just not totally confident this is good enough considering the recent rounds results. Just to clarify, i will have no work experience in Canada in my trade. From what i have read online, to actually gain experience in my trade then my best bet would be to apply for an IEC and secure a job offer in addition to an LMIA? is that the case?
Thanks!

christmasoompa Nov 23rd 2020 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by num9er (Post 12938780)
Thanks for your response, thats promising. Upon successful completion of a certificate of qualification for my trade and including the secondary education, i would score 329. I'm just not totally confident this is good enough considering the recent rounds results. Just to clarify, i will have no work experience in Canada in my trade. From what i have read online, to actually gain experience in my trade then my best bet would be to apply for an IEC and secure a job offer in addition to an LMIA? is that the case?
Thanks!

OK, so 329 is unfortunately rather low, last time it was that low was over 2 years ago. But you never know, definitely apply as you'd kick yourself if you weren't in the pool and the points level did dip down!

I think you're mixing up an IEC and normal work permit. An IEC is a 2 year open work permit for those aged 30 and under (or 35 and under in certain situations, depending on which country you're from and other factors). No LMIA or job offer is required for that. A LMIA is required for a normal work permit, and for that you do need a job offer, and the employer has to prove that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. So how old are you and where are you from, is IEC an option? If so, that's a good plan.

num9er Nov 23rd 2020 4:24 pm

Haha i agree, i will definitely apply just in case! If i was to obtain 1 years work experience then this would push my score up to 394 which is a slight improvement. The thing is i have a 2 year program i've completed at college which is a level 3 diploma in gas, can i make this count towards my CRS score in any way? or should i just write that idea off.
Ah i see, so i would be legally allowed to work in my trade (once qualified) in Canada on an IEC, and it would count towards official work experience for me EE profile? If so, then that truly seems like my simplest option to increase my score. I am eligible for IEC being English and 24, although probably have missed the boat until next time. When are you able to apply for an IEC? Cheers

christmasoompa Nov 24th 2020 9:11 am

Originally Posted by num9er (Post 12938790)
Haha i agree, i will definitely apply just in case! If i was to obtain 1 years work experience then this would push my score up to 394 which is a slight improvement.

Possibly wouldn't be enough, but once you're over there working with an employer, you may find there are other visa options open to you, such as a PNP.

The thing is i have a 2 year program i've completed at college which is a level 3 diploma in gas, can i make this count towards my CRS score in any way? or should i just write that idea off.

Vocational qualifications don't normally count for points purposes, but it won't cost you any extra to have it assessed alongside your GCSE's and other qualifications, so definitely include it just in case.

Ah i see, so i would be legally allowed to work in my trade (once qualified) in Canada on an IEC, and it would count towards official work experience for me EE profile? If so, then that truly seems like my simplest option to increase my score. I am eligible for IEC being English and 24, although probably have missed the boat until next time. When are you able to apply for an IEC? Cheers

Yes, you could work on the IEC, and yes, that would count as work experience, as long it meets the criteria i.e. is full-time etc.

The IEC program usually opens between December and March, but it has been as early as October and as late as April in the past, there's no fixed date. It's a lottery so make sure you apply as soon as it opens to give yourself the most chance of getting an invite at some point, particularly as next year is likely to be more popular as this year's program didn't happen.

HTH, best of luck.

num9er Nov 24th 2020 10:15 am

Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will apply for an IEC as soon as possible and go from there. 😄

num9er Nov 24th 2020 3:30 pm

Right, so after a bit more digging online... from my understanding now:

1. I can apply for an IEC when the pool reopens, gain relevant work experience (and valuable crs points for EE). Side note: i should have passed my COQ exam for my trade by then too.

2. If i remain with the same employer for more than one year, and i am lucky enough to receive a permanent job offer from them, they wouldn't need to apply for an LMIA. I have read that if you've worked for a year or more with the same company then i would be exempt. Have i understood that correctly?

3. If 1 and 2 both work, then i can apply the job offer points onto my express entry profile and then hope for the best.

Is there anything i have overlooked? I have read about the impacts of COVID and resulting in IEC being suspended so i will bear in mind potential delays.

Many thanks again, i have learned so much from everyone on this forum!!!