Gas Fitter- What visa from 2013?

Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:36 am
Just Joined

vickyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Fitter- What visa from 2013?

Hello,
Have been reading all info regarding the new visas and am slightly confused,

I seem to get the idea that all the info is not out there yet regarding what occupations will be on the list, is that correct or have I missed something?

Also, we want to get all the info together to apply in Jan 2013 so where can I find that out? Thats if he can apply at all! it would be good to be prepared and I wondered what sort of information and proof is likely to be required?

Should we both do the IELTs before Jan? As I seem to think I might have to do it aswell as he is 41 now?

What other things could we do to prepare for the application in January?

Is it a bit of a case of waiting to hear more news?
Thanks
Vicky
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas Fitter- What visa from 2013?

Originally Posted by vickyg
Is it a bit of a case of waiting to hear more news?
Yep! CIC have not yet announced exactly what the new immigration programs will be yet, so although we can guess, nobody knows for sure. You'll just have to wait and see if you are eligible once they make the announcement, good luck.

Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, looks like we will have to wait!

Is there any paperwork etc we should gather before January?
Thanks
Vicky
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

laura.anne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vicky, we are in a similar position!

My husband is a plumber/gas fitter. As well as all the visa requirements (IELTS, proof of employment, police checks, etc) the main issue is the red seal exam which you need to pass to be legal to work in plumbing/gas and it seems that as Canadian regulations and systems are different, this is very hard!

My husband is really good at his job and passes his gas checks here with flying colours, but to be honest this whole thing is starting to seem too much of a gamble if it's going to be so hard to get qualified once there, even before he finds someone willing to give him a job!

Good luck, maybe we can keep in touch with our progress/decisions!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replies,
Laura, the more I research about my husbands exams, the more he worries he wont be able to pass them! He's 10 years with British Gas and did a 4 year city and guilds old style plumbing apprentice, so should be fine for experience but he just doesnt know if he wants to start again!

In an ideal world, it looks like they should get a plumbers/gas fitters mate job and learn the ropes before the exam but from what I can gather, they are hard to find.

Was hoping that he may be able to sit the redseal stuff before the visa comes to see if he could pass it but you cant do it unless you have PR.

There is alot of talk regarding lack of jobs etc and difficulty in getting one.
I always reckon if you try hard enough, there is something out there for you?

For the last couple of days we have been questioning what we should do. The good thing is we have till jan to decide and will have to wait to see if gas fitter is even on the trades list.
We are looking at BC but would like the flexability to move if the jobs are not there.

We can't afford a reccie, we did one to OZ for 3 months and it cost a fortune, and vowed not to do one again, just get the visas and go but keep the house here and take a 2 year sabbatical from his work.

We have 3 kids so its hard to know whats best to do especially when we have a great life here but have a feeling for an adventure!

Lets keep in touch and see what we both decide, will put you on my buddy list!!

Good to speak to someone in similar situation.
Vicky
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In the BC the authority that qualifies plumbers is the ITA.http://www.itabc.ca/Page4.aspx

Red Seal does not administer any exams, they are provincial with Red Seal endorsement. Gas is a separate ticket and gas fitters need to be licensed through the BC Safety Authority. http://safetyauthority.ca/licences-certificates
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Vicky we also have 3 children and are wanting to move to BC!

My husband is exactly the same, he's worried their plumbing/gas will be so different that he'll be basically starting again. And that no-one will take him on to give him the help!

It's a tough one isn't it
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laura.anne
Vicky we also have 3 children and are wanting to move to BC!

My husband is exactly the same, he's worried their plumbing/gas will be so different that he'll be basically starting again. And that no-one will take him on to give him the help!

It's a tough one isn't it
When immigration many people have to take a step or two back. So long as he accepts this, likelihood would be he could get something as a labourer or supervised assistant. This is a way to familiarize ones self. Gas and plumbing are two separate trades and have different certification/licensing bodies.

Water and gas work the same way here. The biggest difference is going to be terminology and legislation.

Immigration is not picking up where you left off in the old country for most. It can be hard graft and a lot of readjustment. How well one does depend on their motivation. I know many who came over and had a hard time, some taking jobs flipping burgers to get by, but they made it through, albeit taking a few years. I know of others who landed on their feet (or a set of wheels anyway) and did OK from early on.

You want it bad enough, there is always a way.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
When immigration many people have to take a step or two back. So long as he accepts this, likelihood would be he could get something as a labourer or supervised assistant. This is a way to familiarize ones self. Gas and plumbing are two separate trades and have different certification/licensing bodies.

Water and gas work the same way here. The biggest difference is going to be terminology and legislation.

Immigration is not picking up where you left off in the old country for most. It can be hard graft and a lot of readjustment. How well one does depend on their motivation. I know many who came over and had a hard time, some taking jobs flipping burgers to get by, but they made it through, albeit taking a few years. I know of others who landed on their feet (or a set of wheels anyway) and did OK from early on.

You want it bad enough, there is always a way.
This is true. If we didn't have children I'd have no hesitations, but I worry that the pressure will be so much for my husband knowing everything comes down to him passing all these exams and convincing someone to take him on. He's self employed now and runs the same business he's worked for since leaving school 14 years ago, so it's a big gamble. I know it's worth it, but only IF we succeed, which is starting to look harder and harder.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Have been away from this board for a week or so, taking time to think what is best for us as a family.

Laura, are you doing a reckie trip over? We wish we could but I keep pricing it and even as a holiday we could put that money towards a move.

We have a great life here, just outside Edinburgh, good schools, hubby has good job -for the moment (6 weeks holiday, pension, 4 day week summers etc), I work for myself and round kids so have no childcare stresses, kids do all the sports they want, granny 15 mins away, etc etc we are very lucky which we realise but I just cant shake the desire to emigrate and have an adventure - its driving me mad!!!!

Vicky
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Vicky

We are of the same mind in that we have a great life here, but just feel that we want something more from where we live. There just isn't anything much round here for our children. Canada looks like an amazing country with so much to do in every direction you turn.

But it is a huge gamble, we could afford to go without the kids for a job scouting trip before next year- but it actually seems pointless as its a no win situation because the employers aren't going to be interested until we have moved over and he has learnt the trade and passed the red seal, all of which is a huge 'if' in itself.

As it stands we are looking at other parts of England to move, because it just seems a much safer option for us.

If my husband was in any other non-regulated skill, things would no doubt be different and much easier!

Hope you make some positive decisions soon, keep us updated!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

laa1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Guys, i live in Calgary, i am yet too take the red seal exam, but it has cost me $450 as i have to pay for it first!! You can work here as a Gas fitter/plumber in the meantime. I worked for a local Co but it was not for me, i am looking to change careers but will take the exam to fall back on. In regards to work here, i was told by a brit ex-pat i was out with, forget everything you have learned in the UK, its totally different here. Its mostly HVAC, i only worked on a few boilers for under floor heat. I was mainly plumbing,which i did not want to do here. Hence i was told in the interview it would be Gas fitting!! Then told after "well it is mostly plumbing"!! Frustrating..

I can supply details of the board that deal with the exam, but communication is very difficult at times..

We have been here 7 months now, at times it has been frustrating, it is not cheap, food etc is a lot more than England. But you get more for the $. I personally am still in two minds as wether we have made the right decision. Its still early days. Any questions you have i do not mind answering, but bear in mind the time diff lol.

Good Luck

Lee
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Jen and rob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I have just posted a new thread on the very same topic, I should have searched better to find this one.
My OH is also plumber/gas fitter , we also like the look of BC, and we also have 3 children...... how funny is that !

Laa1973
is it different in Calgary when it comes to being qualified with their own governing body to find employment?

It is so difficult as OH has a company with 5 employees hear in UK which will continue to trade and make a small living, however it is a huge kick if he has to re train to trade in Canada.

Jen
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

laa1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jen,

Each province have different rules in regards to skilled workers, so I cannot speak for BC! Sorry. Also if you continue taking an income from the UK you will have to declare it within your tax returns etc. I'm sure you can find info on here re that.

Yes he will have to mostly re-train as its a lot different here than UK re plumbing/Gas but not in years just for the "Canadian Experience"!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by laa1973
Each province have different rules in regards to skilled workers, so I cannot speak for BC! Sorry. Also if you continue taking an income from the UK you will have to declare it within your tax returns etc. I'm sure you can find info on here re that.

Yes he will have to mostly re-train as its a lot different here than UK re plumbing/Gas but not in years just for the "Canadian Experience"!!!
Red Seal trades are pretty much the same nationwide, which is why they are Red Seal endorsed. A tradesperson would not need to retrain if they have and can prove 9000 hours of experience, they would however have to pass the provincial exam to become certified. Plumbing does not require certification, although it is a Red Seal endorsed trade and administered by the ITA BC.

Gas Fitters are certified by the BC Safety Authority. http://safetyauthority.ca/licences-c...rtificates/gas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.