Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

G0ldie's experience of WES for ECA

G0ldie's experience of WES for ECA

Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:41 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default G0ldie's experience of WES for ECA

I used WES for my degree and they were a waste of time. It took nearly 2 months to complete. Luckily, my university were local and able to deal with the matter via the Alumni association.

My wife's WES application was a nightmare. I started the process September 2017. It took nearly 4 months to setup a basic account as they were having website issues. Once the application was submitted they took another 4 months and then rejected it all. Disillusioned with them I put in a complaint and went to the Government of Alberta. They take 3-4 months also and is still in process. I would stay far far away from WES!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G0ldie's experience of WES for ECA

Hi, welcome to BE. I've moved your post in to a thread of it's own, hope that helps.

Good luck with your application.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G0ldie
I used WES for my degree and they were a waste of time. It took nearly 2 months to complete. Luckily, my university were local and able to deal with the matter via the Alumni association.

My wife's WES application was a nightmare. I started the process September 2017. It took nearly 4 months to setup a basic account as they were having website issues. Once the application was submitted they took another 4 months and then rejected it all. Disillusioned with them I put in a complaint and went to the Government of Alberta. They take 3-4 months also and is still in process. I would stay far far away from WES!
Interested in what the reason for the rejection was?
Old Jun 5th 2018, 3:27 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
She has a medical degree. It is only assessed by Alberta or the Medical Council of Canada. WES initially said it was fine to so and they accepted. After a lot of time-wasting they rejected it citing a rule change.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 3:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

She has a medical degree. It is only assessed by Alberta or the Medical Council of Canada. WES initially said it was fine to so and they accepted. After a lot of time-wasting they rejected it citing a rule change.

It does specifically state on the CIC website that a medical degree must be assessed by the Medical Council of Canada if you are a doctor - I'm presuming she's not! You may want to read the MCC links regarding having the degree verified and obtaining an ECA from them.

Where can I get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)?
https://mcc.ca/services/repository/e...al-assessment/
https://mcc.ca/services/source-verification/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 5th 2018 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 4:06 pm
Knight of Constantinople

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
[QUOTE=Siouxie;12510917]It does specifically state on the CIC website that a medical degree must be assessed by the Medical Council of Canada if you are a doctor - I'm presuming she's not! You may want to read the MCC links regarding having the degree verified and obtaining an ECA from them.

/QUOTE]

Yeah, I realised afterwards. I just was not happy the way WES treated her and the delays in the application going through. Overall it was an 8 month delay whereas they are supposed to offer a 4-6 week turnaround according to their site. I was lucky to get a full refund! The Alberta application through IQAS will take around 3-4 months processing but I will have to persevere. Even if WES did originally clear the degree and the assessment was done I think CIC may have picked up on it as they cannot assess it and deem it as a mistake so better it was done with now. I've checked thoroughly through IQAS and they do process her degree as per their literature online.

The other problem being my CRS score was 444. My birthday is in August meaning the CRS score will go down 5 points putting me just borderline for being picked and getting an ITA from the EE pool. I'm yet to make my profile until I get the assessment back. Hopefully (fingers crossed) they will pick me via the EE pool once I've applied.

I've had a look at each year end report from IRCC starting 2015. The CRS scores vary wildly. Most applications for the first two years seemed to be from Indian Migrants working in Canada. Last year, from the Philippines were the most to get PR's. British applicants seem to be down on the pecking order. It's probably me overthinking!
Old Jun 5th 2018, 4:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[
Yeah, I realised afterwards. I just was not happy the way WES treated her and the delays in the application going through. Overall it was an 8 month delay whereas they are supposed to offer a 4-6 week turnaround according to their site. I was lucky to get a full refund! The Alberta application through IQAS will take around 3-4 months processing but I will have to persevere. Even if WES did originally clear the degree and the assessment was done I think CIC may have picked up on it as they cannot assess it and deem it as a mistake so better it was done with now. I've checked thoroughly through IQAS and they do process her degree as per their literature online.

The other problem being my CRS score was 444. My birthday is in August meaning the CRS score will go down 5 points putting me just borderline for being picked and getting an ITA from the EE pool. I'm yet to make my profile until I get the assessment back. Hopefully (fingers crossed) they will pick me via the EE pool once I've applied.
Have you checked to see what your wife as principal applicant scores on CRS?
Old Jun 5th 2018, 4:43 pm
Knight of Constantinople

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you checked to see what your wife as principal applicant scores on CRS?
Yes. She has a low IELTS score with an average of 6.5. She's not worked for the last few years either as she has been looking after the little one. She's not really willing to retake the test at this time until at least we have tried with my scores (Reading 8.0, Writing 9, Speaking 9 and Listening 8.5).

I'm using an agent currently to go over the case and put in the application once she has the assessment back from IQAS. I know my case it straight forward but I have not had the time to go through and finalise the details hence the reason for getting an agent. We are ticking all the boxes with the funds, education (I have a Master's Degree) and the relevant experience in my job. It's just the age currently, as I'm 38 going on 39 in August this year.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Most applications for the first two years seemed to be from Indian Migrants working in Canada. Last year, from the Philippines were the most to get PR's. British applicants seem to be down on the pecking order. It's probably me overthinking!
Yep it is - just an awful lot less applicants from the UK, that's all! The only 'pecking order' is scores, nationality doesn't come in to it at all.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 5:21 pm
Knight of Constantinople

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep it is - just an awful lot less applicants from the UK, that's all! The only 'pecking order' is scores, nationality doesn't come in to it at all.
Yep, I agree. Will just have to keep my fingers crossed!
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Exactly this. Although Britain still does provide considerable numbers of immigrants to Canada, the numbers from India and China dwarf the British numbers because those nationalities tend to have more incentive to emigrate. The numbers from those countries are even larger than the numbers from the United States.

You can bet those nationalities will also have a higher rejection rate than British applicants do as well though.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:39 am
Knight of Constantinople

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Exactly this. Although Britain still does provide considerable numbers of immigrants to Canada, the numbers from India and China dwarf the British numbers because those nationalities tend to have more incentive to emigrate. The numbers from those countries are even larger than the numbers from the United States.

You can bet those nationalities will also have a higher rejection rate than British applicants do as well though.
Yep, I've read up all around the figures the government provides (which are often skewed to their advantage). There is not much given in the 2017 report other than they want to change the system to this 3-year plan to increase the levels as the other posters have highlighted.

Going back to the original subject, I had an email from IQAS last night advising they received the educational documents from my wife's university (they were received on the 26th April, as it must take them a month to open mail!). Now I have to wait 12 weeks for processing. Hopefully everything should be done in-time for the August Bank Holiday!