Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FYI-How to import your car from the US to Ontario

FYI-How to import your car from the US to Ontario

Old Jun 19th 2004, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

LadyAri will become famous soon enoughLadyAri will become famous soon enough
Default FYI-How to import your car from the US to Ontario

Hello Everyone,

I just had to import my car from the US to Windsor, Ontario and let me tell you, it's something I would NEVER do again!! And apparently I am not the only one who thinks this way.

I was told many different things by many different people, including customs agents. There were also many things they failed to tell me on what I needed to do to import my car and register it.

Here is all I had to do, I'm hoping this will help someone else. I wish they would put a complete packet together for newcomers, it would make everything so much easier.

1. Find out where you go to Export the car from the US. (In Michigan, it is the customs office on Fort St.) You have to bring them a copy of your title, which they will hold for 72 hours. When that time is up, you have to go back to the office and they will export it, and stamp the copy of your title. (hold on to this, as it will help you if you pass through the borders often)

2. When arriving in Ontario, Canada, let them know you need to import your vehicle. They will fill out and give you FORM 1. (HINT...be sure they fill it out COMPLETELY!!!) the first agent that did mine, didnt, and I found out the hard way.
If you have a credit card, you can pay the fee of $182 right there in the office, otherwise ASK for an envelope to send your money to the RIV. Once the RIV receives your money, they will MAIL you FORM 2. You cannot do anything else until you that form.

3. Call up the vehicle manufacturer of your car and request a recall clearance letter. You will need your VIN number. They will send you the letter, if there is anything that needs to be fixed, they will tell you, and you must get if fixed. Make sure you keep the repair receipts.

4. Once you have FORM 1, FORM 2 and the recall clearance letter, take your vehicle to an authorized carshop (if you are in Windsor, that would be Canadian Tire) You need to tell them that you need 3 things...
1) Federal Inspection
2) Safety
3) Emissions Test
(be sure to tell them all 3, because they wont just do them, another hard lesson learned)

Once you get those done and you've passed all tests, Canadian Tire will fax off to the RIV, all the paperwork. You are done with the Import part.

Now onto Registration and Driver's License...

To Register your vehicle you will need the following: (again, I wish they had a checklist for people) dont bother going to the DMV until you have everything listed or you will waste your time like I did, I went there 3 times before they finally told me everything I needed.

1) Title of vehicle
2) FORM 1
3) Emissions Test results
4) Safety Certificate (it's blue and white)
5) Ontario insurance (to get this, you will need to get a claims letter from your current car insurance company, do this right away, as it could take some time for them to mail it to you)

It costs about $180 CAD to register it.

Driver's License

If you have recently renewed your license, and it shows your renewal date, and not the date you actually started driving, go to your local DMV and get a printout of your driving record that states how long you have been driving. If you do this, they will simply give you a license without any testing. If you dont, they will make you take a road and/or written test.

I'm not sure how much a License costs yet, as I have to go get a printout since I just had mine renewed in December of last year.

I hope this helps others out there, I wouldnt wish what I went through on anyone!

Take care
Old Jun 19th 2004, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

samochod50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FYI-How to import your car from the US to Ontario

Thank you so much for this information. I'm sure it will help many people, like it did to me. I have one question, though:
Can you be more specific as to what the SAFETY check was like? How did they check your car, what exactly did they check and how? I would appreciate all the details so that I can fix everything I need.

Thanks!

Originally posted by LadyAri
Hello Everyone,

I just had to import my car from the US to Windsor, Ontario and let me tell you, it's something I would NEVER do again!! And apparently I am not the only one who thinks this way.

I was told many different things by many different people, including customs agents. There were also many things they failed to tell me on what I needed to do to import my car and register it.

Here is all I had to do, I'm hoping this will help someone else. I wish they would put a complete packet together for newcomers, it would make everything so much easier.

1. Find out where you go to Export the car from the US. (In Michigan, it is the customs office on Fort St.) You have to bring them a copy of your title, which they will hold for 72 hours. When that time is up, you have to go back to the office and they will export it, and stamp the copy of your title. (hold on to this, as it will help you if you pass through the borders often)

2. When arriving in Ontario, Canada, let them know you need to import your vehicle. They will fill out and give you FORM 1. (HINT...be sure they fill it out COMPLETELY!!!) the first agent that did mine, didnt, and I found out the hard way.
If you have a credit card, you can pay the fee of $182 right there in the office, otherwise ASK for an envelope to send your money to the RIV. Once the RIV receives your money, they will MAIL you FORM 2. You cannot do anything else until you that form.

3. Call up the vehicle manufacturer of your car and request a recall clearance letter. You will need your VIN number. They will send you the letter, if there is anything that needs to be fixed, they will tell you, and you must get if fixed. Make sure you keep the repair receipts.

4. Once you have FORM 1, FORM 2 and the recall clearance letter, take your vehicle to an authorized carshop (if you are in Windsor, that would be Canadian Tire) You need to tell them that you need 3 things...
1) Federal Inspection
2) Safety
3) Emissions Test
(be sure to tell them all 3, because they wont just do them, another hard lesson learned)

Once you get those done and you've passed all tests, Canadian Tire will fax off to the RIV, all the paperwork. You are done with the Import part.

Now onto Registration and Driver's License...

To Register your vehicle you will need the following: (again, I wish they had a checklist for people) dont bother going to the DMV until you have everything listed or you will waste your time like I did, I went there 3 times before they finally told me everything I needed.

1) Title of vehicle
2) FORM 1
3) Emissions Test results
4) Safety Certificate (it's blue and white)
5) Ontario insurance (to get this, you will need to get a claims letter from your current car insurance company, do this right away, as it could take some time for them to mail it to you)

It costs about $180 CAD to register it.

Driver's License

If you have recently renewed your license, and it shows your renewal date, and not the date you actually started driving, go to your local DMV and get a printout of your driving record that states how long you have been driving. If you do this, they will simply give you a license without any testing. If you dont, they will make you take a road and/or written test.

I'm not sure how much a License costs yet, as I have to go get a printout since I just had mine renewed in December of last year.

I hope this helps others out there, I wouldnt wish what I went through on anyone!

Take care
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

LadyAri will become famous soon enoughLadyAri will become famous soon enough

Hi there!

Honestly, I'm not even sure what they check for the safety. All I know is I passed it.

But from what other people have told me, they check to make sure the car is safe to be on the road. They check to make sure everything is working, such as lights, brakes, tires, etc.

I'll see if I can get more information on it for you.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 5:02 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi LadyAri

Originally posted by LadyAri
Hi there!

Honestly, I'm not even sure what they check for the safety. All I know is I passed it.

But from what other people have told me, they check to make sure the car is safe to be on the road. They check to make sure everything is working, such as lights, brakes, tires, etc.

I'll see if I can get more information on it for you.

Good Luck!
One extra thing, check www.riv.ca to ensure that your car is importable to Canada. It also outlines all the steps to be taken to import a car to Canada. Too bad you didn't know about this site.

PMM
Old Jun 20th 2004, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

canhelper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PMM
Hi LadyAri

One extra thing, check www.riv.ca to ensure that your car is importable to Canada. It also outlines all the steps to be taken to import a car to Canada. Too bad you didn't know about this site.

PMM
amongst other things in the saftey check its also a requirement to have day time running lights. most new cars come with this otherwise a modification may be required. also a child saftey harness bolt is also required, if not already equipped, get this from the dealer in the US they may just give it to you for free.

also simply call a canadian tire up here in canada and they can tell you the details inlcuding the cost
Old Jun 20th 2004, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

samochod50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

Originally posted by canhelper
amongst other things in the saftey check its also a requirement to have day time running lights. most new cars come with this otherwise a modification may be required. also a child saftey harness bolt is also required, if not already equipped, get this from the dealer in the US they may just give it to you for free.

also simply call a canadian tire up here in canada and they can tell you the details inlcuding the cost