Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Further change in immigration laws

Further change in immigration laws

Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Irv33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Further change in immigration laws

Hi. I was in Canada last month and was talking to a British Expat there and he says there will be new laws concerning Permanent resident cards and if you do not have application in by the 31st Dec 2002 you will have to fill in an extra large form... Have you heard anything about this....
I did a check in the CIC site and only found the if you application is submitted prior to 31st Dec 2003 the card will be waiting for you at your port of entry after application is approved and you become landed, or if you are already in Canada on 15th Oct 2002 you need apply for one, but tjhat is all can you enlighten me further
Irving lee
Old Sep 26th 2002, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Sumatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Sep 26th 2002, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Further change in immigration laws

Changes in the immigration law are scheduled for October, when a pan-Canadian conference on immigration will be held in Winnipeg. What the changes will be is difficult to predict, but mainly they will address the government's aim for spreading out the immigrants throughout nordic rural areas and places with low immigration.
Old Oct 12th 2002, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Irv33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sumatra:
Changes in the immigration law are scheduled for October, when a pan-Canadian conference on immigration will be held in Winnipeg. What the changes will be is difficult to predict, but mainly they will address the government's aim for spreading out the immigrants throughout nordic rural areas and places with low immigration.

Thanks for that Information
Irv
Old Oct 12th 2002, 3:57 pm
Andrew Miller

No changes are scheduled for October - please stop spreading rumors...

During the conference many views and concepts will be presented and discussed,
but no changes will be made!!!!

--

../..

Andrew Miller
Immigration Consultant
Vancouver, British Columbia
email: [email protected]
(delete REMOVE from the above address before sending email)

For confidential phone consultation go here:

http://members.yahoo.-
liveadvice.com/andrewmiller_canada

"Irv33" wrote in message
news:442120.1034477890@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Sumatra:
    > > Changes in the immigration law are scheduled for October, when a
    > > pan-Canadian conference on immigration will be held in Winnipeg. What
    > > the changes will be is difficult to predict, but mainly they will
    > > address the government's aim for spreading out the immigrants
    > > throughout nordic rural areas and places with low immigration.
    > Thanks for that Information
    > Irv
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 13th 2002, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Denis Coderre in Vancouver (conference organised by The Laurier Institute) said that a new visa (contract) will be implemented during 2003. It will allow immigrants to work in rural areas for 5 years. After that they will be granted PR. According to canada.com it is expected that details will be presented in Winnipeg
Old Oct 13th 2002, 4:21 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Irv33:
Hi. I was in Canada last month and was talking to a British Expat there and he says there will be new laws concerning Permanent resident cards and if you do not have application in by the 31st Dec 2002 you will have to fill in an extra large form... Have you heard anything about this....
I did a check in the CIC site and only found the if you application is submitted prior to 31st Dec 2003 the card will be waiting for you at your port of entry after application is approved and you become landed, or if you are already in Canada on 15th Oct 2002 you need apply for one, but tjhat is all can you enlighten me further
Irving lee
Well yes and no. The PR card requirement is true - all immigrants are now required to have one and existing landed immigrants must apply in a predetermined order to get one. It's like the American ID card - and has been brought in because of the flood of illegal immigrants and family members coming in for holidays and never going home (oh gee what a surprise as if that doesn't happen all over the world!) It is also supposed to cut down on the amount of people with the same surname sharing SIN numbers, because it's photo ID. Details are on the CIC website under "What's new" I believe. It's a credit card size card, which carries a photo and a supposedly tamper proof security feature. Of coures it won't take some bright spark very long to figure out how to duplicate it!
Old Oct 13th 2002, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

johnparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dingbat:
so am i reading this right so they are saying that you will be able to work in canada for 5 years and get perminent residancy can someone please clarify this, i wish people would stop spreading these rumours they are very annying just got to grips with the new immigration points never mind more changes please clarify this

Well yes and no. The PR card requirement is true - all immigrants are now required to have one and existing landed immigrants must apply in a predetermined order to get one. It's like the American ID card - and has been brought in because of the flood of illegal immigrants and family members coming in for holidays and never going home (oh gee what a surprise as if that doesn't happen all over the world!) It is also supposed to cut down on the amount of people with the same surname sharing SIN numbers, because it's photo ID. Details are on the CIC website under "What's new" I believe. It's a credit card size card, which carries a photo and a supposedly tamper proof security feature. Of coures it won't take some bright spark very long to figure out how to duplicate it!
Old Oct 13th 2002, 9:49 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea about the 5 year thing; my post was purely about the new PR cards. They are just ID - that's all.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/prcard.html
Old Oct 13th 2002, 4:10 pm
Jim Humphries

As they are planned to be used and limited in validity, they will certainly
also be an enforcement tool.
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
"dingbat" wrote in message
news:442692.1034545750@britishexpats-
.com
    > I have no idea about the 5 year thing; my post was purely about the new
    > PR cards. They are just ID - that's all.
    > http://www.cic.gc.ca/-
    > english/applications/prcard.html

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 18th 2002, 6:40 am
Andrew Miller

Some very sketchy info was presented and nothing was agreed upon nor decided.

As I responded earlier - please don't spread rumors...

--

../..

Andrew Miller
Immigration Consultant
Vancouver, British Columbia
email: [email protected]
(delete REMOVE from the above address before sending email)

For confidential phone consultation go here:

http://members.yahoo.-
liveadvice.com/andrewmiller_canada

"Sumatra" wrote in message
news:442244.1034520570@britishexpats-
.com
    > Denis Coderre in Vancouver (conference organised by The Laurier
    > Institute) said that a new visa (contract) will be implemented during
    > 2003. It will allow immigrants to work in rural areas for 5 years. After
    > that they will be granted PR. According to canada.com it is expected
    > that details will be presented in Winnipeg
    > --