funny situation.... help please!

Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

mjrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default funny situation.... help please!

Hello

Well heres the situation. Myself and my boyfriend went to Vancouver last October to go out there and start our new lives.

He has his permanent residency and I have a work visa that is good for three years as I got a position as a registered nurse out there. However my boyfriend as a webdesigner did not manage to find any work out there as it seems there is no call for internet webdesigners. He tried agency work and everything but to little avail. As for me, well the nursing position was damn hard work and very stressful and I had no support so I used to come home upset all the time.

After 3 months of living there we decided that we would come home as it just was not working out and our money was beginning to dwindle. We both thought this was the right thing to do and looked forward to coming back to the UK but now we have realised we have made a big mistake. My boyfriend is so miserable being back here and says he really felt we should have made a better go of it and that he feels frustrated as it did take him four years of money, time and lots of patience to put his application together and it feels like a waste if he does not go back.

So heres the funny situation. We are going to work here in the UK for six months to replenish our funds but after that my boyfriend wants to go and live in Toronto instead seen as he has his residency and does not want to lose the chance of gaining his Citizenship. I want to go with him but do not know whether I have to cancel my current work visa that is valid for Vancouver only until 2011. I know with this I will not be able to relocate to Toronto and want us to take the spousal sponsor route but don't know if the embassy will like it if they know I want to cancel my current work visa?

What do I do? I really want to go with him and start again in Toronto?

Mel
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:24 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: funny situation.... help please!

hi

Originally Posted by mjrose
Hello

Well heres the situation. Myself and my boyfriend went to Vancouver last October to go out there and start our new lives.

He has his permanent residency and I have a work visa that is good for three years as I got a position as a registered nurse out there. However my boyfriend as a webdesigner did not manage to find any work out there as it seems there is no call for internet webdesigners. He tried agency work and everything but to little avail. As for me, well the nursing position was damn hard work and very stressful and I had no support so I used to come home upset all the time.

After 3 months of living there we decided that we would come home as it just was not working out and our money was beginning to dwindle. We both thought this was the right thing to do and looked forward to coming back to the UK but now we have realised we have made a big mistake. My boyfriend is so miserable being back here and says he really felt we should have made a better go of it and that he feels frustrated as it did take him four years of money, time and lots of patience to put his application together and it feels like a waste if he does not go back.

So heres the funny situation. We are going to work here in the UK for six months to replenish our funds but after that my boyfriend wants to go and live in Toronto instead seen as he has his residency and does not want to lose the chance of gaining his Citizenship. I want to go with him but do not know whether I have to cancel my current work visa that is valid for Vancouver only until 2011. I know with this I will not be able to relocate to Toronto and want us to take the spousal sponsor route but don't know if the embassy will like it if they know I want to cancel my current work visa?

What do I do? I really want to go with him and start again in Toronto?

Mel
You would have to find a new employer in Toronto, get a new LMO , and then apply for a new work permit.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Hey.

But can't I just cancel this one and get sponsored by my partner instead seen as he has his permanent residency?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey.

But can't I just cancel this one and get sponsored by my partner instead seen as he has his permanent residency?
You don't need to cancel it, it's already cancelled as it would have been specifically for the job you were doing when you were granted it, rather than an open work permit.

And I don't think your partner can sponsor you as he's not living in Canada. PR's can sponsor their spouses or common-law partners, but only if they're in Canada. Only citizens can sponsor from outside Canada.

I could be wrong on that, and hopefully PMM will clarify, but I think that's the case. So you'd have to go through the work permit process again.

Good luck.

Edited to add this Wiki article which may be of use................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Apparently my visa is valid until 2011 but I do not know whether it is exempt if I leave the Country.

What about if I go to Toronto with him as a visitor and then in Canada we can apply for sponsored status there?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently my visa is valid until 2011 but I do not know whether it is exempt if I leave the Country.

What about if I go to Toronto with him as a visitor and then in Canada we can apply for sponsored status there?
But wasn't it was a Temporary Work Permit? So it was valid until 2011 but only for the employer that had got the LMO for you? You could have worked for that employer until 2011, but couldn't have just left and started working for somebody else without going through the whole job offer/LMO process again.

And yes, you could go with him as a visitor, just be aware that you'd only be given an initial 6 months to enter Canada for, and spousal sponsorship can take longer than that. You'd need proof of funds for that time as well (not sure of the exact amount, think it's about $10,000 though).

Plus you'd need to convince immigration that you would only be visiting (as you'd have no other legal status to enter Canada at that stage) so make sure you bear that in mind and be careful of what you say and what you take with you. Also, you wouldn't be eligible for healthcare or similar so that's something else to think about. And one final thing to bear in mind is that if you are required to have an interview for the spousal sponsorship application, you will have to fly back to London.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

The other thing you could do, as it seems you are an RN, and presumably have at least a year of continuous full-time work experience, is to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker program, and perhaps wait until you are approved for permanent residence before going to Canada.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

You could always try Vancouver again. I think your BF mistimed the market. I came over in late Nov (I'm a Java software developer) and the market was very quiet until the New Year when it's picked up nicely. It took me two months but I've now got a job.

I don't know what the web designer market is like but it might have followed the same pattern.

In talking with people I've been advised to avoid Toronto. The place is heavily reliant on the auto industry in Detroit and that's not exactly the best at the moment.

Just some more info for your thought process...