FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:59 am
  #46  
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,159
Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

40. Dont use the Immigration Lawyer we are using. When we get our Visa's I will name and shame.
Miss Clinique is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:22 am
  #47  
Forum Regular
 
Mermaid3011's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 242
Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

41. Read the Operational Manuals that apply to your case: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//resour...#tphp%20idtphp
they will answer many many questions.

42. add your case to http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immig...killed-workers and see how long each step takes. It will not only give you an idea of what to expect and when, it will also help others in your shoes.
Mermaid3011 is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:49 am
  #48  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: GTA, Canada
Posts: 102
Manek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

43. Just like DMP, phone around each and every notary public office in your area. You could end up with huge saving..(I saved a lot). If you are applying from Canada, try to look at community centres, settlement service, public schools etc. (I found notary in student centre of local college)

44. HSBC may be a good bank for transfer of money but it is not good for regular banking. Any local Canadian bank have much more branch and service than HSBC in Canada. (I dont know why I have still accounts with HSBC in Canada..)
Manek is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:50 am
  #49  
BE Enthusiast
 
cityhog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 506
cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by Manek
43. Just like DMP, phone around each and every notary public office in your area. You could end up with huge saving..(I saved a lot). If you are applying from Canada, try to look at community centres, settlement service, public schools etc. (I found notary in student centre of local college)

44. HSBC may be a good bank for transfer of money but it is not good for regular banking. Any local Canadian bank have much more branch and service than HSBC in Canada. (I dont know why I have still accounts with HSBC in Canada..)
You can also transfer money through paypal.
cityhog is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:59 am
  #50  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: north west England
Posts: 25
mikkim has a brilliant futuremikkim has a brilliant futuremikkim has a brilliant futuremikkim has a brilliant futuremikkim has a brilliant futuremikkim has a brilliant future
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

When filling out any forms for immigration (which does take hours), complete them, then look over them the next day thoroughly before sending them.

This might sound obvious but we found an error in our list of residences since 18 and this would have resulted in a delay!
mikkim is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:36 am
  #51  
BE Enthusiast
 
cityhog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 506
cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by mikkim
When filling out any forms for immigration (which does take hours), complete them, then look over them the next day thoroughly before sending them.

This might sound obvious but we found an error in our list of residences since 18 and this would have resulted in a delay!
And always keep a copy of your entire application. Review it over several months, as the visa office checklist changes frequently. If your app doesn't meet the new requirements, you can always send additional docs to avoid any possible delay--remember one doc request from your visa office could delay the process for a few months.
cityhog is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:45 am
  #52  
Eager Beaver!
 
umpalumpa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa ON
Posts: 285
umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

There are some really good tips on here!

46. Think we are at 46! Download a package called CutePDF - its freeware and is invaluable! When you do all your forms, use the fillable PDF's on the CIC website, then when you are done, just print them to a PDF file using CutePDF and save the docs in a specific folder. Ta-da! Anytime you need them, you can print or review anytime. Also, if its a 4 page form and you make a mistake on page 1, it's easy just to re-do page 1 and re-pdf.

47. Don't forget, if you have a Work Permit that is due to expire, set up an outlook or calendar reminder somewhere to remind you to check passport expiries. If one is due to expire 6 months after your Work Permit, apply for a passport renewal about 4-5 months before your TWP expires, so you have plenty of time to get it back in time to apply for your extension.

48. Make a seperate contact (in outlook) for each organisation you encounter and what they do. Service Canada - SIN's, LMO's, CIC immigration helpline - include telephone numbers and emails. Use these to hold account or reference numbers so if you ever loose a driving licence or SIN card, you know where to ring and have all the info in one place.

49. Keep your uk credit cards going when you leave and set up your statements to come online. You can always watch the balance and it's invaluable until you get Canadian credit when you can start to close off cards if they've not been used for ages.

50. Scan your passport identity page and your work permit/stamped pages too, embed them into one Word document and then pdf them for each family member - then when you need them, you can print off one page rather than photocopying repeatedly.

There - got to 50, am sure I can think of more though.......
umpalumpa is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:20 am
  #53  
BE Enthusiast
 
Waggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Loughborough, England, UK
Posts: 908
Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by BenB2
23. Use HSBC to open two bank accounts for you in Canada while still being in the UK, one in CAD$ and one in GBP£ - proves very useful for moving money between the UK and Canada in £ to avoid exchange rates, and then picking and choosing when you convert funds from £ to $ using online banking between the two HSBC accounts.
Does a canadian bank statement from HSBC Canada count as proof of funds when you land?

We were thinking of doing this very thing - I have a personal HSBC account and myself and my wife have a joint HSBC account in the UK. If we're approved a visa we considered transferring the correct funds into the Canadian account and showing the bank statement on entry, to save having to carry actual cash/cheques/drafts with us.

Wayne.
Waggle is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:50 am
  #54  
Binned by Muderators
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,686
JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by Waggle
Does a canadian bank statement from HSBC Canada count as proof of funds when you land?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Manek
44. HSBC may be a good bank for transfer of money but it is not good for regular banking. Any local Canadian bank have much more branch and service than HSBC in Canada. (I dont know why I have still accounts with HSBC in Canada..)
It depends where you are heading to. HSBC Bank Canada has its headquarters in Vancouver and there are many branches in the Lower Mainland.

If you want a branch that is easy to visit and meet staff then HSBC will likely not be all that convenient in other parts of Canada. Once you are settled in you will probably do 99% of your banking on-line or by ATM. However, in the early days is is reassuring to be able to talk face to face.
JonboyE is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:55 am
  #55  
BE Enthusiast
 
Waggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Loughborough, England, UK
Posts: 908
Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes.



It depends where you are heading to. HSBC Bank Canada has its headquarters in Vancouver and there are many branches in the Lower Mainland.

If you want a branch that is easy to visit and meet staff then HSBC will likely not be all that convenient in other parts of Canada. Once you are settled in you will probably do 99% of your banking on-line or by ATM. However, in the early days is is reassuring to be able to talk face to face.
Well we are hoping to move to Vancouver, or at least close to it.

For record of landing we may go to Nova Scotia since it's closer for a quick hop-over to Canada and my wife has some friends there she'd like to visit.

I do most of my banking on the internet anyway so very very rarely want to go into an actual branch.

Wayne.
Waggle is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:00 am
  #56  
BE Forum Addict
 
CanadaJimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,962
CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
There are some really good tips on here!

46. Think we are at 46! Download a package called CutePDF - its freeware and is invaluable! When you do all your forms, use the fillable PDF's on the CIC website, then when you are done, just print them to a PDF file using CutePDF and save the docs in a specific folder. Ta-da! Anytime you need them, you can print or review anytime. Also, if its a 4 page form and you make a mistake on page 1, it's easy just to re-do page 1 and re-pdf.
FoxIt PDF Reader is better. You can fill out the forms and just save the PDF file with the form data inside, meaning you don't have to do it all in one go.
CanadaJimmy is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:04 am
  #57  
BE Enthusiast
 
Waggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Loughborough, England, UK
Posts: 908
Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
FoxIt PDF Reader is better. You can fill out the forms and just save the PDF file with the form data inside, meaning you don't have to do it all in one go.
I used www.pdfescape.com

Fill it in online and you can download it back to your PC afterwards. If you register there it will even store the documents for up to 2 weeks (i.e. it will only remove them if you have documents there which haven't been modified for 2 weeks).

After doing any editing I just download back to my PC and print from there (then I know I have the very up to date version on my actual PC).

Just a shame that stupid Supplementary Information Your Travels form wasn't computer fillable. My wife had to fill it out about 6 times before she did it without any mistakes in!

Wayne.
Waggle is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:06 am
  #58  
Eager Beaver!
 
umpalumpa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa ON
Posts: 285
umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by Waggle
Well we are hoping to move to Vancouver, or at least close to it.

For record of landing we may go to Nova Scotia since it's closer for a quick hop-over to Canada and my wife has some friends there she'd like to visit.

I do most of my banking on the internet anyway so very very rarely want to go into an actual branch.

Wayne.
Hi Wayne - One thing I would say is that you still need branches to pay in cheques, get bankers drafts and pay in uk money (if you have a £ account in Canada) We have a HSBC account and its been quite honestly a nothing but a pain for the last year - using a more Canadian/widely spread/known bank is best or perhaps see if you can get a Presidents Choice account - they are free and you can bank in your local supermarket (I know we have this in Ontario). Note that HSBC have "access" to your banking via other institutions which is free for the first year, but our nearest linked bank decided to pull out of its link with HSBC and started charging for all transactions! HSBC couldn't do anything about that and just said we could still bank for free at our local branch which was over 20mins away with nightmare parking! Joy! Just bear this in mind.....
umpalumpa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.