FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

princess caribou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FSW Top 100 one line tips...

Originally Posted by BenB2
23. Use HSBC to open two bank accounts for you in Canada while still being in the UK, one in CAD$ and one in GBP£ - proves very useful for moving money between the UK and Canada in £ to avoid exchange rates, and then picking and choosing when you convert funds from £ to $ using online banking between the two HSBC accounts.
Top tip - thanks!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

23. Use HSBC to open two bank accounts for you in Canada while still being in the UK, one in CAD$ and one in GBP£ - proves very useful for moving money between the UK and Canada in £ to avoid exchange rates, and then picking and choosing when you convert funds from £ to $ using online banking between the two HSBC accounts.
Is it only possible to do this with HSBC? do other UK High St favourites have branches in Canada?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

I've put a countdown clock on my iGoogle so every time I log on I can see how many days I've got left to submit my 120 day letter pack - it's very motivating...
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:38 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by princess caribou
I've put a countdown clock on my iGoogle so every time I log on I can see how many days I've got left to submit my 120 day letter pack - it's very motivating...
how do you do that? sounds a great idea
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:47 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

26-Keep a diary of your journey, great to look back on

27- network like crazy!

28- think in $$ earnt rather than converting £ to $ although appreciate currently its not as good as it was

29- really make the effort to get out and integrate locally once you move , its very easy to become isolated if you let it happen

sorry, gone a little adrift from FSW application, but more general moving to Canada

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Apr 22nd 2010 at 11:48 am. Reason: thought of another!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

sherry9oct is just really nicesherry9oct is just really nicesherry9oct is just really nicesherry9oct is just really nicesherry9oct is just really nicesherry9oct is just really nicesherry9oct is just really nicesherry9oct is just really nice

what is 120 day letter??????
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:34 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherry9oct
what is 120 day letter??????
Letter/email giving you 120 days to send your full application into CHC.

30. Save the links for useful BE threads that you think might help you later in the process.

31. Keep an eye on the CHC website as they can make changes to the applications and the evidence required.

Last edited by Clematis; Apr 22nd 2010 at 11:51 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

OK, not strictly FSW, but having been in NS for nearly 3 months........

32. Do not underestimate how much money you will need for startup costs. Electricity, oil, tv/phone/internet will all want some kind of deposit/security. Auto insurance is expensive especially if you've had a recent claim. ($650 for liability only with 9 years no claims on a car valued at $0, and $4000 on a $6000 van with a recent claim)

33. If you arrive on a Temporary Work Permit - DO NOT under any circumstances give your SIN number to anyone other than a government agency. If you show this to your financial institute they will clam up and not give you any line of credit whatsoever. (TWP SIN's start with a 9)

34. Embrace Skype. Try and buy a HD (720p) camera, it'll be worth it.

35. Get your family members used to using Skype too!

36. Before taking your driving test (if applicable) research the test location thoroughly and pick a test centre accordingly. Busy, multi-lane roads with roadworks can be a challenge (as I just found out LOL)

37. Try not to compare everything with the UK, especially prices....it is what it is.

38. Be prepared to LOVE IT in Canada!

39. Forget eCAS, it's not updated regularly so no point checking it every day ;-)

Last edited by spaceace; Apr 23rd 2010 at 12:51 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Clematis
31. Keep an eye on the CHC website as they can make changes to the applications and the evidence required.
Good advice. The visa office specific checklist changes frequently.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spaceace
37. Try not to compare everything with the UK, especially prices....it is what it is.
Yeah, Canadians hate to hear someone compare everything in Canada with the USA. One visible difference between these two countries is the quality of infrastructure.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

38. DON"T LIE on the application forms. If you have EVER been convicted of an offense, or cautioned then say so.

Thinking to yourself that CIC won't find out is a stupid idea, if you are unsure - spend the 40quid on a police check prior to filling in your application to see whats on it, it will save the "oh no, we checked the wrong box because we didn't think so and so's conviction would show up"
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
38. DON"T LIE on the application forms. If you have EVER been convicted of an offense, or cautioned then say so.

Thinking to yourself that CIC won't find out is a stupid idea, if you are unsure - spend the 40quid on a police check prior to filling in your application to see whats on it, it will save the "oh no, we checked the wrong box because we didn't think so and so's conviction would show up"
Yes, don't try to hide anything. If an IO gets the impression you're hiding something, s/he will delay processing your app.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bali2010
how do you do that? sounds a great idea
Hi Bali, - if you make Google your homepage at the top right of the page there is a little link that says iGoogle. Click it and it lets you make a bespoke google page for yourself. If you navigate the page you can choose little 'apps' that you can put on your page. For example a countdown clock - i've also got the time in Calgary and the weather up and a link to an exchange rate converter. It's really good for giving you focus every time you log on.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

re Why 11. Because in my personal view the cost of the lawyer as a % of the cost of moving your life to a new country is trivial. That they are worth it to ensure the forms and supporting evidence are filled correctly using the right words. That this takes a lot of stress out of things and will hopefully bear dividends in speedier processing, less delays and a more successful outcome.

Its a personal choice at the end of the day.
If your case is a little complicated and/or you're too busy to spend time on your app, it's worth hiring a consultant--I mean a competent one. I see more rejections these days, some returned for small errors.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:03 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

39. When enclosing proof of relative in Canada - remember if the name changed to provide evidence of that - e.g. marriage certificate

(as someone who nearly forgot)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.