FSW Residency NOC Confusion

Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

angelaAngela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FSW Residency NOC Confusion

Hey,

My partner and I have both been working in Vancouver for the past year and a half. We both have long work permits and job contracts.

We want to apply for residency under the FSW route, but the original NOC which we applied for our work permits under is not on the list of options on www.hrsdc.gc.ca. We are both Senior Animation Effects Editors and entered Canada under the Facilitated Processing for Information Technology Workers Program (NOC 9990.1). However, this occupation isn't just not on the list of approved NOCs for the FSW application, but it's not on the NOC list at all.

It may be for this reason, that on my work permit documentation, immigration printed that we were both in the NOC 5131 class - Producers, Directors, Choreographers, and related occupations.

The nearest NOC that I can find on the hrsdc website to actually describe what I do, is Interactive Media Developer NOC 2174 which is on the Skill Level A list which I think should be fine for the FSW application.

So on my residency application, if I apply as a Senior Animation Effects Editor I'm worried that I risk getting rejected due to it not being on the main list of occupations.

If I apply as a Producer/Director/Choreographer/related occupations, it will be the same as is printed on my work permit, but it won't really describe what I actually do.

If I apply as an Interactive Media Developer then will it be a problem that the occupation on my work permit is different to that of my residency application?

Confused. :-(

Angela
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Residency NOC Confusion

Originally Posted by angelaAngela
Hey,

My partner and I have both been working in Vancouver for the past year and a half. We both have long work permits and job contracts.

We want to apply for residency under the FSW route, but the original NOC which we applied for our work permits under is not on the list of options on www.hrsdc.gc.ca. We are both Senior Animation Effects Editors and entered Canada under the Facilitated Processing for Information Technology Workers Program (NOC 9990.1). However, this occupation isn't just not on the list of approved NOCs for the FSW application, but it's not on the NOC list at all.

It may be for this reason, that on my work permit documentation, immigration printed that we were both in the NOC 5131 class - Producers, Directors, Choreographers, and related occupations.

The nearest NOC that I can find on the hrsdc website to actually describe what I do, is Interactive Media Developer NOC 2174 which is on the Skill Level A list which I think should be fine for the FSW application.

So on my residency application, if I apply as a Senior Animation Effects Editor I'm worried that I risk getting rejected due to it not being on the main list of occupations.

If I apply as a Producer/Director/Choreographer/related occupations, it will be the same as is printed on my work permit, but it won't really describe what I actually do.

If I apply as an Interactive Media Developer then will it be a problem that the occupation on my work permit is different to that of my residency application?

Angela
Hi Angela and welcome to the forum.

If you are applying under category 2 (arranged employment) or category 3 (year in Canada on TWP), then it doesn't matter what our job title/NOC code is as long as it qualifies as Skilled work (Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix). It doesn't need to be one of the 38 occupations in demand - they're only applicable for applications without a job offer (category 1).

You just need to find the NOC nearest to your current role or job offer, and use that. I'm not sure if it will cause a problem if it's different to the NOC you've had for your TWP, but hopefully an expert will see this thread and comment on that part for you.

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:57 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelaAngela
Hey,

Angela
Hi Angela, you may be able to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, have a read of this.

Good luck
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.
Hi Angela, you may be able to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, have a read of this.

Good luck
Needs 2 years working in Canada on a TWP though, and the OP said they've only been working in Canada for 18 months, so they wouldn't be able to apply for another 6 months or so.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:33 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Needs 2 years working in Canada on a TWP though, and the OP said they've only been working in Canada for 18 months, so they wouldn't be able to apply for another 6 months or so.
Oh bugger, sorry I missed that part.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:59 am
Just Joined

angelaAngela is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thank you Christmasoompa and Kaye. I think I'll go with Interactive Media Developer NOC 2174 and hope for the best.

I also looked back and found another thread discussing the same thing about 3 months ago. The gentleman who started the thread also entered the country under the 9990.1 category, and he also just ended up picking the nearest NOC he could find and was going to hope for the best.

Angela